Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Came time to get my snow wheels & tires off and when I couldn’t get my floor jack under the car, I knew I had a problem. Lots of other clues too but amazing how well a bad Cayman handles. Bought a set of 25k CS struts off eBay and started in.
Since this my 4th set of ball joints and 3rd set of tie rods, those bolts were well anti-seized. The original struts had never been off. The sway bar link bolt through the knuckle/bearing housing was the problem. In the end, lots of Kroil, Lumpy the 5 lb. sledge, propane heat and it finally started moving. The message here is if this happens to you, be patient and keep at it. I had the tie rods disconnected so I could turn the strut to line up my heavy brass drift. Also, for the thin wrench flat on the link side of the bolt, I took a cheap 17mm open-end and ground it to ~.230-.240” or ~6mm thick. I put this on the link side and beat it with Lumpy. It turned and I gave it more penetrating oil. Repeat all the above for an hour and voila….. got them out.
While I had my head in there, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. It was half of a coil broken off and lying in the spring perch. I guess that explains why I couldn’t get my jack under the car. It did look cool in that low state.
Picture shows Lumpy, heavy brass drift and the troublesome bolt without nut which I had on loose for much of the beating. The bolt had a dimple in the end and as I got flush with the housing, I switched to a long narrow steel punch sharpened to match the dimple. That allowed me to keep driving the still-stubborn bolt.
Edit: I found the lower control arm bolts to be very frozen so rather than even starting that fight Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Fender Automotive exterior , I took advantage of the screw-in ball joints (Vertex) I had put in two cycles ago. With some heat and Kroil, they came out fine.
Hope this helps. C.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 987.2 2.9 6-speed
264 Posts
I just had a similar experience with a 2002 Jeep TJ. I taught myself some new 4 letter words but eventually those came apart as well. I ended up beating the nut off with a cold chisel and my version of Lumpy. I didn't have the correct angle to be able to get a dremel in there and cut it in half or I could have saved myself a few hours.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts