Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so Ive had a rough couple weeks and it's been awhile since I've checked out the forums. I've ran into a number of issues with my '05 box S. The roof rods broke when the hook caught, pwr steering pump bearing failure, and now the biggest thing my 2nd gear pops out. I've cheked online and it's due to the sealed bearing. Dealer says a transaxle rebuild is $10k. Motormeister can fix things on my 62k mi car for around 3k. This includes not using the oem sealed bearings that are packed with grease that melts on track days.
Now my questions:
-Has anyone else gone through this? Motormieater ppl say this happens all the time with 996/997/986/987 model manual transmissions. If so why does Porsche use these cheaper bearings? Why isn't there a lot more talk about this online?

-sealed bearings are used on the intermediate shaft, am I gonna run into issues with this too?

-anyone have a good repair shop that can rebuild a transmission in sf bay? How much does this run?

-anyone know of a bearing mfg that makes unsealed bearings?

-anyone use motormiester to rebuild a motor or tranny? How was your exp, I hear on some forums that they make mistakes or are too slow...

Thanks! In light of this I test drove a 2010 m3 coupe, I'm just not comfy with p-cars at the moment....

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have same problem with my 2. gear on my Cayman S 06 manual. Does anyone know where to by gearbox parts as dealer is offering only gearbox not parts itself

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
A couple of suggestions and some general thoughts -

Porsche uses the sealed bearings (IMS among them) in an environment which disolves the grease sea - the crank case. LN engineering has some recommendations about removing the grease seal from the IMS bearing and they produce a stronger unsealed replacement bearing. If you boxster is coming this far apart this may be a good time to deal w/ it.

see recent months of Excellence mag about detailed replacement procedure.

it's not good news if porsche is using that same type of bearing in the transaxles ... This getrag box is used in multiple vehicles - used transmissions should be out there. As unromantic as it sounds a tranny of a wreck may be the way to go.

contact GBox in Boulder, CO about changing the bearings - gboxweb.com (i think). They really know these transmissions.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
733 Posts
A couple of suggestions and some general thoughts -

Porsche uses the sealed bearings (IMS among them) in an environment which disolves the grease sea - the crank case. LN engineering has some recommendations about removing the grease seal from the IMS bearing and they produce a stronger unsealed replacement bearing. If you boxster is coming this far apart this may be a good time to deal w/ it.

see recent months of Excellence mag about detailed replacement procedure.

it's not good news if porsche is using that same type of bearing in the transaxles ... This getrag box is used in multiple vehicles - used transmissions should be out there. As unromantic as it sounds a tranny of a wreck may be the way to go.

contact GBox in Boulder, CO about changing the bearings - gboxweb.com (i think). They really know these transmissions.
how often do I get to quote myself ... ?

gbox is advertising synchros and other unobtainable parts for the cayman's transmission. They're quite capable of rebuilding your box if you ship it to them - they installed my quaife TBD.

in for a penny, in for a pound ... and if you want a taller 6th hear for highway cruising now would be the time ...

·
Registered
2 Posts
how often do I get to quote myself ... ?

gbox is advertising synchros and other unobtainable parts for the cayman's transmission. They're quite capable of rebuilding your box if you ship it to them - they installed my quaife TBD.

in for a penny, in for a pound ... and if you want a taller 6th hear for highway cruising now would be the time ...
I already contacted them thx.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had my gear box replaced for same issue. 2005 Boxster S with about 37,000 miles. I have no mechanical experience and I went with dealer suggestion. Very expensive.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wow. Those prices just seem outrageous. Granted the dealer is selling you another transmission. But - if it's simply replacing a few bearings and a synchronizer/gear -- there's no way that should be thousands of dollars.

I've studied a few transmissions pics and the parts diagram.. seems like the 1-2 synchronizer is available. And the bearings and such are available. Nothing magical about the gearbox. Typical synchronized gearbox design.

steering pump bearing failure, and now the biggest thing my 2nd gear pops out. I've cheked online and it's due to the sealed bearing. Dealer says a transaxle rebuild is $10k. Motormeister can fix things on my 62k mi car for around 3k.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Had the same exact problem on my 08 Cayman. Used it as an excuse to get a Cayman R. :)

Dealer wanted $12k for a new gearbox, fall-line motors ports said they could replace the 2nd gear synchro for closer to $2k. As happy as I am with the R, there was something about my base Cayman...in addition to it being my first Porsche.

As a result of my 2nd gear synchro issue in my last Cayman, I have been babying the 1-2 upshift on the R. When the gearbox is cold, I go straight from 1st to 3rd, as the car doesn't seem to want to glide into 2nd as easily as when it is properly warmed up. Has me a little freaked out, so I am taking it n to the dealer to have them inspect and change the trans fluid, at a minimum.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts