Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 981
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2nd gear has always seemed like it doesn't like a quick shift from 1st to 2nd, soooo, I am in the habit of just easing it in. It actually feels like it has two notches to go to finally engage fully to 2nd.

Given this, will a fluid change help? Is there a "performance" fluid that might allow for faster shift? Would a simple adjustment help?

As a side note, I do have the Numeric short shifter but not their cables...soooo...that might be an option.

47k on her, don't know if the previous owner ever change the fluid.
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 981 has over 50k miles, I have what I'd call a crunchy 3rd... pronounced when cold, once we're going it gets much much better. I'd also say that my first is a bit reticent to be downshifted into (starting in 1st is okay; the grab point is a bit finicky too at rollout but I do it patiently and it works out)... just sharing you're not alone, otoh... I have to check my records. I believe I did get fresh manual fluid when I got the car (at 43k) and I don't feel it made the biggest change (it helped, but I'd say what I feel today is roughly what has been since I got it).

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Make sure the cables are adjusted properly, go for the better fluids Redline or Purple will help some. If those don't help you need new synchros.

Reactions: TommySM981

·
Premium Member
1,596 Posts
Redline MT-90 Manual Transmission Fluid 75w90
used for all Porsches gl-1, 3, 4

1 - 5 of 5 Posts