Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

What are the differences in a 2006 Cayman S 3.4L and the new 08+? 3.4L?

The 06 engine is listed at 295hp, while the new ones are claiming 320hp. Has anyone figured out yet where the extra power comes from?

I ask because I am swapping a 06 3.4L into my 02 Boxster S, so I am new to the 3.4L information. I am trying to figure out what I can do to the engine before it gets put in the car.

Thanks,

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm going to guess if you are doing a swap, you are going to be limited to the '06-08 3.4L motors. The gen 1 motors (06-08) are non-DFI (Direct Fuel Injection). The gen 2 motors (09+) are completely different and thoroughly redesigned. They employ DFI, a new oiling system, new ECU, no IMS and a few other changes that a search will further reveal. I think the topic of swapping a DFI motor into an older car has been discussed with the prevailing opinion that it would be incredibly difficult.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
New DFI engine is completely different ChrisF says, so you can't gain your 25hp by looking at that motor.

For the 3.4 go for new IPD plenum, GT3 throttle body, lightweight flywheel, remap, headers, exhaust and that should give you a very nice boost in performance.

If you are going to the track and whilst the motor is out consider fitting a Mantis, FVD or MDS sump extension and the motorsport VOS, as you'll save yourself a lot of time and effort.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts