Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sticker on car says 29/29, I've been running 32/32. Just picked up the car from its first service, dealer dropped it back to 29/29. For street/commuting, am I running it too high?

My priorities are handling and tire wear, I do not care about comfort. The car only has 4k miles on it, 1500 of that on the snows; I have not checked tread depth to see if I am getting any uneven wear yet.

Even on my 10 mile commute, I often am at 35/35 by the time I arrive.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Why would you question the engineers at Porsche? Because it doesn't "feel right?"....I run the recommended 29 PSI, but after 10 or 15 miles on a warm day it raises to 32 PSI

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
I run 35-38psi, because that's how I like it.

There is no such thing as "standard" psi. It's all depends on conditions and driving style and the goals... Porsche thinks that 29 is the best for most drivers... But It didn't feel right for me, so I experimented and run it as I like it.

I also just changed my tires first time at 33K miles. With nice and even tire wear. Most people have to change every 10-15K, I understand.

Sticker on car says 29/29, I've been running 32/32. Just picked up the car from its first service, dealer dropped it back to 29/29. For street/commuting, am I running it too high?

My priorities are handling and tire wear, I do not care about comfort. The car only has 4k miles on it, 1500 of that on the snows; I have not checked tread depth to see if I am getting any uneven wear yet.

Even on my 10 mile commute, I often am at 35/35 by the time I arrive.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Handling and tire wear should give you the same answer. Best grip is achieved when the tire is evenly loaded, this also give best wear. If you're thinking of a higher spring rate because of higher pressure, you're compromising both grip and tire wear.

Ours came with a recommended 29/30, so I did as I always do and measured tire temperature profiles. They seem to be the right number for me for street driving. So that's what I keep them at. That's the first time an OEM has come up with the right pressures in my experience.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I keep my 2014 Cayman S with 20" 235 & 265 tires at 33 psig, cold. In street driving here in FL they warm up to 36 psig on three c street. With standard suspension, I'm not running them any lower that that, based on the way they feel. I have maybe 2k miles on these tires. If tire wear ends up showing I can increase cold pressures, I certainly will.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I also have a 2014 Cayman S with 20s. The recommendation in the door jam is 33 all around. If my gf is with me (usually only for longer weekend drives) I drop it down to 28-29 as the X-73 suspension and 18 way seat combined with the 20" tires may my Volvo loving gf very unhappy.

Normally, I run 33-36.

I keep my 2014 Cayman S with 20" 235 & 265 tires at 33 psig cold. In street driving here in FL they warm up to 36 psig. With standard suspension, I'm not running them any lower that that, based on the way they feel.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
When I had my 2nd 914 with Koni adjustable shocks and sport coils and HD anti sway bars and over-size tires, my wife's boobs used to bounce like crazy going down the hwy. It was very distracting for me as the driver, but I 'tolerated' it... :)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
It might be time to go to 40+psi!

When I had my 2nd 914 with Koni adjustable shocks and sport coils and HD anti sway bars and over-size tires, my wife's boobs used to bounce like crazy going down the hwy. It was very distracting for me as the driver, but I 'tolerated' it... :)

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I should mention I'm running 35/35 psig with my 20"ers and Michelin Pilot Sports. If anything, I might bump that a little higher. Door jam sticker pressures seem too low with my 2014 Cayman S with std suspension. ...at least for my tastes. This is a relatively new area here and streets and roads are like new and pretty smooth here in Central FL, and they tend to stay that way because there is no freezing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts