Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Boxster exactly 3 years ago. I've put on 22k miles. I'm going to do some preventative maintenance:

* replace engine air filter (BMC filters)
* replace cabin air filter
* replace spark plugs

Does anyone think it's premature to replace the spark plugs? I know it's early, but if they're at all fowled I'd prefer to have them in tip top shape.

I am planning to apply a COBB tune afterwards, and measure the difference in performance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
if you have some track times and pushed it hard, it's a good time to also replace the plugs now and if Cobb tuning is on the way, it is always good to start with a healthy engine before/after.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you have some track times and pushed it hard, it's a good time to also replace the plugs now and if Cobb tuning is on the way, it is always good to start with a healthy engine before/after.
Do we have a favorite brand of spark plug?

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
734 Posts
Have not changed my Porsche' plugs yet but always had good luck to my modded Mini Cooper S (with colder plugs) and stock BMW 330 with NGK.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Manual says 40k miles or 4 years for spark plugs. Porsche manuals are EXTREMELY conservative too. Some car manufacturers recommend 100k miles.

So....premature.

Glad your car is not a museum piece either. I'm at 36k on a 4 year old car and it is only a weekend thrasher. :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Manual says 40k miles or 4 years for spark plugs. Porsche manuals are EXTREMELY conservative too. Some car manufacturers recommend 100k miles.

So....premature.

Glad your car is not a museum piece either. I'm at 36k on a 4 year old car and it is only a weekend thrasher. :)
I agree, too early with only 22K and 3 years old. Most people in their 997's changed theirs at 50-60K miles or every 5 years.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I changed plugs after 7 years in my 987.2 with 25k miles.
The only reason to do it earlier would be plug seizing. For low mileage cars I wouldn't push it beyond six years, just to play it safe. Replacing plugs in three years and 22K miles is premature, but it won't do any harm and it's good for the economy. :)

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
I usually change plugs at 100K on my other cars. May be will do it at 60K on my Porsche. The way I see it - it's just a money maker for the dealer, and Porsche recommending to do it at 40K - is just a bone to the dealers. And it's awfully hard to do it yourself on our cars :(

Reactions: Ynot

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How about coolant drain and fill? What is the recommended mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.