1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
If it isn't really a carbon fiber weave then a vinyl with an image of carbon fiber isn't going to look the same as the real thing in person IMHO .
It isn't really supposed to look like the glossy carbon fiber parts that we're all used to seeing. It has an unfinished look to it. Made popular by BMW in their M models. They call it carbon leather.

I wrapped the console of my 335 to match the OE dash trim and it looks quite good.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
For those who don't want to go to the website. It's a vinyl from 3M that actually has a texture and comes in 6 colors. A 48"X48" piece is $112, and a 120"X48" piece is $238. ".... the best real world alternative to carbon fiber when you just want the look ...."

There's a Q&A section where one question asks if it can be removed. Answer: ".... may be removable, but may damage the substrate underneath." Then there are some tips on how to try to remove it without damaging the substrate. A knife (cut the vinyl every 8") and a heat gun are involved.

They didn't say how much it lightens whatever it's applied to.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Thanks Jim I am on my phone and thus didn't follow the spec link, however in addition to this vinyl, people could get actual carbon fiber and cover items then clear coat the part for a cf look as well. If the vinyl is impregnated with helium perhaps it does lighten whatever it is applied to! :)

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can't say whether it would be more 'ricey' or not as I haven't seen it in person but it seems to be a much cheaper alternative to the real thing. That is, for those who are considering a carbon fiber look, inside or out. :)

-Moto

·
Registered
121 Posts
It seems like a lot of the Carbon fiber parts are a wrap of some kind. And I think if your good enough to make it look professional (this is the whole kit and kobbudal), why not. Granted, if you can lose some wait by replacing an oem part with Carbon than great but, there are a lot of parts that it doesn't make a big enough difference to spend that kind of money to complete your look. This sounds like a pretty cool alternative to me. be good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.