Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey you all, in HK, the PPF is getting popular especially the ones from 3Ms. I don't have much experience on this topic except I read that someone had had good experience on his basalt black 997. I find this pretty much the same as we put films on our PDAs and cell phone screens to avoid scratches only on a bigger scale. Can anyone name the pros and cons of such for someone who doesn't TRACK his car. My car is 2.5 months old and I also heard that you really needed to do it when taking delivery. Obviously, I hadn't done so and the cost over here in HK is around 100 bugs USD/m square and we have 3 popular brands 3M, Llumar and FSK. Appreciate any input and personal views/opinions on the topic. I am afraid that putting such a coating on will in fact dull the car in the long run.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
PTCJ,

I think under the 'care' section of the forums there are a number of posts, but I will say this: I have 3M clear bra on my cobalt blue CS. You do get some abberration from the bra since it is not as perfectly smooth as your Porsche's nice finish. You can wax it, though, (I use Zaino), and get a nice luster on it. In flat light and from most angles you can't even tell that it is on there. If you drive in any kind of traffic, I would recommend it. As far as the cost goes, you are in clover. If it costs you $100USD/sq. M you will likely need no more that 3 or 4 SM. I paid $900USD. The cost is mostly in the craft not the materialthough, I suspect.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ptcja - feedback i got so far is that 3M (used by our Bay Area dealer) has somewhat of an orange peel effect esp. on darker color. I am considering a brand called Ventura as recommended by another recent CS owner with great results. good luck....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts