Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last two days it's been warm outside and I had the windows down on my 07 Cayman. I noticed an occasional metal ringing whirling high pitched sound when I accelerate in 3rd gear. I do not hear it in any other gear.

Like all strange sounds it appears to be intermittent. This is strange noise number two, the other I posted previously is an intermittent ticking when the clutch pedal is released. Clutch feels and is operating fine. I am wondering if these two sounds can be related? Due to the sound(s) not making themselves present all the time, I am hesitant to take it in because the tech will not hear it and send me on my way.

I am under warranty with 9k on the odometer. Anyone have these ghosts in the car?

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Cantrax,

You need to be more descriptive. A whirl is quite normal, a metal ringing is not.

I would say my car has a whirl in the tranny if not otherwise drowned out by the engine and exhaust, but not a ringing.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bretster for chiming in, much appreciated.

I have been listening a little closer and it sounds more like a high pitch whirling(?) or heavey rush of air type of sound that lasts only for a second when execellerating. I can sometimes get it to occur if I tap the excellerater around 25 mph. It does not happen or I cannot hear it all the time. What I find strange is, it only does it in 3rd gear? Some guys have reported a whoosh sound in 2nd & 3rd gear in other forum topics but again, I only hear it in 3rd. What I meant previously by a ringing metal sound was more like a piece of metal resonating very briefly but my wife decribed it more like a brief whining (whirling) sound. I know the only way to make sure is to take it in but I was seeking other drivers opinions on it. I must say the Cayman makes different mechanical noises but most of them I attribute to the engine being right behind me and normal. The car runs fine. I fear any clutch issues due to Porsches warranty policy.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
It could be a vibrating heat shield or something that only makes enough noise to notice in these specific conditions you mention. I can not really add anything meaningful without hearing it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.