Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Cayman S 6spd
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Awhile back I was burned badly by purchasing a 2006 CS that turned out to have bore scoring. That car is gone and I am in the process of replacing it. I have only considered a 'base' out of fear of getting another 'S' that even if it did not have it, the scoring would develop at some point.

I have been looking at these 3rd party warranties such as CarShield. The details of the contract seem to indicate that a major event like bore scoring would be covered. Looks like it would be covered under 'lubricated parts' or possibly other covered situations. Of course I am leery of anything like this. Would not be surprised to find out, when it is too late, that they have a loop hole.

I would certainly consider another 'S" if I knew that such a warranty would cover me in the event of another bore scoring nightmare. So............my question is.........does anyone know for sure if or if not such a warranty would actually cover bore scoring?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honestly I have not seen a 3rd party warranty outside of Carmax (or similar) that would truly cover anything. I am sure they would find some reason not to pay out.

Unless others have had good results, I would say that a 3rd party is useless for things such as Bore Scoring & IMS

·
Registered
126 Posts
The powertrain warranty covers internal lubricated engine parts. On such a major failure such as bore scoring, an adjuster would come out to see the vehicle first hand and, after determining that there is, in fact imminent failure, "should" approve the repair, or engine replacement in this case. The problem is sourcing an entire OEM engine is a very lengthy process. As the years pass, the amount of blocks/cores diminishes. It could take months or longer to obtain an engine from Germany. And who's to say that that engine won't fail in the future given no upgrades (IMS solution/Nikasil cylinder plating, etc.) have been performed. It's the same problem prone engine.

My advice, it you really want another S, check out BaT or find an owner that has addressed all of the failure points of the M97.21.

·
Registered
472 Posts
This is a case of "read the actual contract".. not just the glossy brochure or website. Ask for a copy of the actual warranty contract. Chances are excellent the warranty company is allowed to replace parts with USED parts - meaning they might cover an engine, but you're going to get a used engine of questionable quality/condition instead of that nice shiny new factory one you were anticipating. The brochure/website won't tell you that - it will be buried somewhere in the fine print on the actual contract.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
694 Posts
If this is going onto a used car, you may have to prove the damage wasn't there when the warranty started.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also check out the BBB ratings. Car Shield has a terrible rating in the Denver area, and was just the subject of an investigation by a local TV station. Fidelity seems to have a very good rating, and was one of the companies recommended by the dealership when I bought my Cayman. I did not buy one as it was a CPO car, and have no affiliation with either company.

·
Vendor
526 Posts
In general the warranty companies are a PITA for us to deal with and they do their best to cover nothing. Read the fine print. We've had policies get canceled for the car having an aftermarket exhaust. Most likely because the warranty company was staring at the cost of new PDK transmission..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts