Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '06 Cayman S is now 4 yrs old and has 38,000 miles. I'm planning on doing an oil and filter change (been doing it every 10k) as well changing the brake fluid (every 2 years).

Would it be advisable to go ahead and put in a new battery at this point as well? Even though it has shown no ill symptoms - I'm assuming it can't last too much longer so I might as well change it now to prevent a possible significant inconvenience? What would you, the experts, advise?

Also, as far as the spark plugs, the Maintenance booklet calls for them to replaced "every 60,000 miles, but no later than every 4 years". I have searched, but found no reference to what specific spark plugs I should purchase? I'm assuming I can get replacement plugs from other auto parts options than the dealer?

Again, thanks for any and all insight
Brad

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
I had not used a maintainer, needed replacement after 3.5 years. I used Interstate MTP91 for $126 - fit right in. Can't help on plugs question.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My 4.5 year-old OEM battery still turns the engine fast. Car has 29k miles. Early replacement might save even more inconvenience later. Batteries never seem to fail at a good time.

The Interstate website says the MTP-H8 is the Cayman S replacement battery, but several have replaced with the HTP-91.

I had the plugs replaced with new OEM plugs at the 4-year service. I'd be reluctant to experiment with any other equivalent plugs.

·
Boxster Enthusiast
1,769 Posts
I replaced my battery when it was 4 years old. The battery is only $129, a small price to pay to eliminate the risk of battery failure. I just changed my plugs (with OEM) at the recommended 60K, 4 year major service.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
My battery just started acting flaky and I have an 06 CS. I just got an oem replacement for around $220. The sad part is that it was tested by the dealer as still being good, but just doesn't seem to hold a charge.

·
Sexual Philanthropist
1,001 Posts
My battery failed at the 2.5 year mark, 15k miles. It's a dd and it just started cranking weak, then nothing.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
My battery failed at 3 1/2 years, and I used a trickle charger whenever left it parked for more than a few days. I would change it if I were you--very easy to do. Using recomendation from this forum, I bought a MAXX-94r battery at WALMART for $77! (after core return). Fit perfectly.

·
Tennessee Vol
649 Posts
I replaced dead battery at 3.5 years. I replaced plugs at 30K and 55K.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I have never heard before of replacing spark plugs because they are a certain age. Does any other manufacturer issues a similar recommendation?

·
Registered
2 Posts
When you replace a battery - can the owner do it or does it have to be done at the dealer? That is to reset anything that need reseting when the power is shut off.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
When you replace a battery - can the owner do it or does it have to be done at the dealer? That is to reset anything that need reseting when the power is shut off.
Yes you can easily do it yourself - when you reconnect the (new) battery, you will get a PSM warning light on the instrument panel, but it will go away within a few hundred feet of driving the car. The only thing you will have to reset is your clock.

You just need a 10 mm wrench, and a 13mm socket w/ long extension, to disconnect and remove the old battery (disconnect negative/ground first, reconnect negative/ground last).

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
Easy to do it yourself exactly as KS-CS said. I found it necessary to stand in the front boot ( trunk) to lift the battery out of the car -- it's heavy.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I'd agree with replacing the battery at 4 years. At this point you get to pick exactly what you want. Lose it on a trip and your choices may be reduced.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
I have never heard before of replacing spark plugs because they are a certain age. Does any other manufacturer issues a similar recommendation?
they dont want them to freeze in the threads

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks to all who helped me with my battery situation. I went ahead and put in a new one. I went with the WalMart MAXX 94r for $77. In case someone does a search and finds this thread I thought I would post some pictures, especially concerning the vent holes as it was confusing to me.

On this battery there are vent holes on each side very near the top. The vent tube that was connected to the original battery plugs right into either of these vent holes. Obviously since the vent tube is on the + terminal side of the battery compartment, I plugged it into the vent hole on that side of the battery. The remaining vent hole needs to be plugged so all the hydrogen will exit via the vent tube. The battery comes with a red + terminal protective cap, on that cap is a small plug that you remove and plug it into the remaining vent hole.

Brad

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics Brad. It was very helpful.

I just purchased the MTP-91 for $106 from a local shop and it doesn't seem to come with a vent tube. Will the OEM vent tube work? The reason I ask is because the vent hole for the MTP-91 looks different from the MAXX 94r.

And if I need a different tube, how long of a tube will I need and how easy is it to route it appropriately.

Thanks! I hope to put it in this weekend.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I got some great help from some forum members. Thanks!

For clarification, as stated before the MTP-91 does NOT normally come with a vent kit (see pic). Resellers normally do not carry them but distributors do and usually you can get them for free. I believe it's worth getting if you can.

I won't go into the details of how it all works as I believe it is pretty obvious.

I hope this help those who are about the replace their batteries.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
I just wanted to follow up with simple instructions for installing the Interstate MTP-91 battery to replace the OEM battery. As you can tell from one of the pics, the Interstate battery is smaller that the OEM battery. Initially I thought it was too small to be held securely in the battery tray but as everybody else who has already mentioned, it fit perfectly.

1) Remove battery cover
2) Disconnect negative terminal (10mm)
3) Disconnect positive terminal (10mm)
4) Remove vent tube

1 - 20 of 34 Posts