Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My base 2007 Cayman is showing "Service in 1,000 miles" warning every time I start the ignition. My car is at 38,500 miles now.

I would like ask fellow forum members for the cost of such service. It would be helpful to know the upper and lower limit of the service cost so that I make informed decision about where to take my car to.

Please comment what a reasonable charge is.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
Where are you located in the US? That will be a big factor in your cost.

The number of competing dealerships closeby will also affect the price.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Rather than post a new topic, I figured I would post here first.

I am due for a 40,000 mile service. This includes an oil change, air filter and pollen filter replacement, topping off fluids and checking/adjusting things such as tires, parking brake etc. I was quoted $1,024 for the service. This seems quite excessive. I mean, an oil change is roughly $200. Does it really cost $800 to replace the air and pollen filters and do various eyeball checks/adjustments? What are other people paying?

I'm just wondering what the dealer would charge if I do the oil change, air filter and pollen filter myself leaving them to just do any other 40,000 mile services. I am in Los Angeles, so I understand that labor rates are pretty high, but it is still a lot for not really getting anything done.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Green Bean,

I did exactly what you proposed: self oil and filters. Was quoted $450. Guy told me I saved $500 by doing that myself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Rather than post a new topic, I figured I would post here first.

I am due for a 40,000 mile service. This includes an oil change, air filter and pollen filter replacement, topping off fluids and checking/adjusting things such as tires, parking brake etc. I was quoted $1,024 for the service. This seems quite excessive. I mean, an oil change is roughly $200. Does it really cost $800 to replace the air and pollen filters and do various eyeball checks/adjustments? What are other people paying?

I'm just wondering what the dealer would charge if I do the oil change, air filter and pollen filter myself leaving them to just do any other 40,000 mile services. I am in Los Angeles, so I understand that labor rates are pretty high, but it is still a lot for not really getting anything done.
Hahaha that is ridiculous. You can do most yourself if your decently savvy and have a good set of tools.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I asked about the cost of the 4-year service when I was at the dealer for my annual oil change last year as mine will be due this fall... I can not remember exactly what I was quoted, but it was around $700 total including the oil / filter changes.

Just for reference, the dealer I go to (Porsche of North Olmsted) here in OH only charges $150 for an oil change. That is not with any PCA discount. Since the materials alone cost close to $90-$100, I just let them do it for me.

Reactions: bxstr

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Humm, fifty bucks or so... a set of clear side signals, or a bottle of spanish Gran Reserva from Ribera del Duero...:dance:

·
Premium Member
10,402 Posts
That is insane pricing. The 4-year service means that you at the end of warranty anyway so it's not like you'll need to prove all service was provided at a dealership if something goes wrong in the future. You're on the hook from now on.

The only way that price quote becomes reasonable is if it included the spark plug change. Isn't that part of the 4-yr service?

If this was me, I would do the following.

• Pay for an oil change only (I hate going under a car without a lift)
  • Pay for a final inspection to make sure there are no leaks or issues before the warranty runs out
  • Buy filter parts at Suncoast and change them yourself. They're really simple and there should be articles on how to do this here

·
Registered
58 Posts
At 4 years spark plugs should be changed, maintenance schedule is 60000 miles or 4 years whichever comes first.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts