Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now, I have ten 40LB bags of wood pellets in the car, supplies are tight so I grabbed some while I could. Two in trunk, four in frunk, four on passenger seat & footwell. Car definitely feels a wee bit different, and I'm sure if I look in the manual there's an upper weight limit for the car.

There's probably a record for "guess what I fit into a Boxster".

·
Registered
911 Posts
Where did you get them and at what price? The usual sources are out of Lignetics but I picked up some from Clark's Hardware in Ellicott City yesterday. Was limited to 10 bags instead of the 25 I usually buy - one reason for keeping my BMW wagon as a DD.

IIRC, the 981 GVWR allows for a bit over 600 lbs., so you should be safe.

Stay warm!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Right now, I have ten 40LB bags of wood pellets in the car, supplies are tight so I grabbed some while I could. Two in trunk, four in frunk, four on passenger seat & footwell. Car definitely feels a wee bit different, and I'm sure if I look in the manual there's an upper weight limit for the car.

You can look on the door sticker. It's a function of the tire pressure up to about 45 PSI, then it's a function of the OEM springs and dampers. To bear an increase in load, inflate to 41 PSI.

·
Banned
92 Posts

This would be an interesting experiment, adding weight and testing the characteristics of the car as it changes. Was it different in regards to power or handling? - I am sure both, but I am assuming you were not really pushing the car super hard either.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like Zimmerman's, but their wood pellet price is about $1.50 per bag more than I've been paying.
+1, but I'm just bolstering the 2 tons I got to start the season with; new to this, not sure how much I'll burn.

Was it different in regards to power or handling? - I am sure both, but I am assuming you were not really pushing the car super hard either.
Primarily power, I was not in Sport and it did feel a bit more sluggish. Handling? I didn't push it but the steering felt minutely different, probably from the 160LB in the very nose.

·
Registered
911 Posts
You can look on the door sticker. It's a function of the tire pressure up to about 45 PSI, then it's a function of the OEM springs and dampers. To bear an increase in load, inflate to 41 PSI.
Actually, I doubt the tire pressure has much to do with it as my OEM 18" fronts are each rated at 1477 lbs. max and the 18" rears at 1819, for a total of nearly 6,600 lbs. of tire capacity. So it seems our Boxsters/Caymans are significantly over tired in terms of load.

But the door sticker says 485 lbs. max for driver, passenger & luggage. So if tiger1964 only weighs 85 lbs., he and his 10 pellet bags are OK per Porsche!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Actually, I doubt the tire pressure has much to do with it as my OEM 18" fronts are each rated at 1477 lbs. max and the 18" rears at 1819, for a total of nearly 6,600 lbs. of tire capacity. So it seems our Boxsters/Caymans are significantly over tired in terms of load.

But the door sticker says 485 lbs. max for driver, passenger & luggage. So if tiger1964 only weighs 85 lbs., he and his 10 pellet bags are OK per Porsche!
It does. The ability of the tire to bear a load is proportional to the pressure. It can bear 1477 pounds at 50 PSI. You would never drive it at 50 PSI.

As a practical example to illustrate the concept, at 20 PSI the car would be siting on the rim. That's because each tire is only able to bear about 600 pounds at that pressure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
It does. The ability of the tire to bear a load is proportional to the pressure. It can bear 1477 pounds at 50 PSI. You would never drive it at 50 PSI.

As a practical example to illustrate the concept, at 20 PSI the car would be siting on the rim. That's because each tire is only able to bear about 600 pounds at that pressure.
Think about a loaded wheelbarrow with an under-inflated tire, its tire deforms and it becomes hard or impossible to push. But, take the weight out and you can roll it easily because even with a slightly under-inflated tire, the weight of the frame itself isn't enough to load down the tire.

edit -- sorry, I probably shouldn't have quoted you with this, rather, the person you were responding to.

·
Registered
911 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts

Ah. but me thinks one also has to keep in mind differences between "static" and dynamic loading?
What, and how much did/would/could Tiger1964 have for lunch on the way back from the pellet store? :)

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Your source for these figures?

Tire Rack indicates maximum load at 35 or 36 psi for SL tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=55
Right. The maximum load (GVW) the manufacturer has specified for this chassis and suspension is met at 35 PSI. The tire can safely inflate to 50 PSI cold without coming off of the bead when hot. Beyond that the contact patch would be too small to really carry any more load.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What, and how much did/would/could Tiger1964 have for lunch on the way back from the pellet store? :)
I went BEFORE eating lunch; but I assure you, I weigh more than 85Lb regardless. :taunt:

·
Registered
911 Posts
I went BEFORE eating lunch; but I assure you, I weigh more than 85Lb regardless. :taunt:
Then perhaps you should take the Sunbeam (sans spare tire) for your next run to Zimmerman's. Of course you should probably go well before sundown, given what I remember about the Lucas electrics I had on my '55 TR2!

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
How many miles are you getting on a 40# bag of pellets?

". . . . when the synthetic fuel plants were bombed and fuel production stopped. So the SS had developed a series of wood-burning electrical generators, vehicle engine conversion kits, and armored vehicle conversion kits. They were called “Holzbrenners” (Wood burners) and were made primarily by Porsche. . . . "
from - HOLZBRENNER VOLKSWAGENS - Wood-Burning Cars

See also the Farm Show Wagon,
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=809

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
How many miles are you getting on a 40# bag of pellets?

". . . . when the synthetic fuel plants were bombed and fuel production stopped. So the SS had developed a series of wood-burning electrical generators, vehicle engine conversion kits, and armored vehicle conversion kits. They were called “Holzbrenners” (Wood burners) and were made primarily by Porsche. . . . "

See also the Farm Show Wagon,
http://www.farmshow.com/view_articles.php?a_id=809

I was wondering what use there was for wood pellets--I'm in CA. Food for a pet woodchuck?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They were called “Holzbrenners” (Wood burners) and were made primarily by Porsche. . . . "

Interesting, similar to what the French called a Gazo or Gaso.

Sorry, such a system was not on the Porsche configurator when I ordered my car. :hilarious:

OK, a few LB over the limit coming home from the office but I didn't notice any "issues".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts