Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen reported, and referenced in the owner's manual about not starting the car for 5 days. I just got the car, and am a little fearful about crossing that 5 day mark without starting. I am reading the manual, but days are ticking by and want no surprises. Any measures I need to take to let it start without starting for 7 - 10 days. Does it make sense to get that small Porsche batter charger? I

- Phil

·
On Probation
582 Posts
ive gone 15 days without starting it,let it run for 1/2 hr then another 15 days...its an 09..i dont lock it

·
Registered
160 Posts
For cars prior to 2009 this is real problem....I remember leaving my 2007CS in garage for 5 days over thanksgiving weekend....when I returned it was dead....reviving the car was real PITA....however once I got it started I took it to dealer to check things out....battery was OK....I was told that after a few days all the background systems suck enough juice to making restarting a potential....which was what I was told by the Porsche phone support (it was about 10pm at night...had to charge it all night....apparently the newer cars have some software/firmware changes that shuts off more of the background system....Porsche suggests using trickle charger to keep things up to snuff

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I have an '06 without issue for 10-14 days w/o start. I also leave it garaged and unlocked. If it's 7-10 days you do not need a battery tender BUT if you only use it for short trips, then I'd say go ahead and use a battery tender.

The only thing you have to know is that your remote will go into sleep mode.

-Moto

·
Premium Member
4,145 Posts
I have an '06 without issue for 10-14 days w/o start. I also leave it garaged and unlocked. If it's 7-10 days you do not need a battery tender BUT if you only use it for short trips, then I'd say go ahead and use a battery tender.

The only thing you have to know is that your remote will go into sleep mode.

-Moto
+1

Mine is just crossing 18 wks of hibernation. The usual clean and layup routine, which includes a battery maintainer and no starting. I go on vacation for three weeks and don't think about it twice in the summer time. No different than any other car - except sometimes I jump in it in the winter and make 'vrroomm' noises when nobody's around.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I have seen reported, and referenced in the owner's manual about not starting the car for 5 days. I just got the car, and am a little fearful about crossing that 5 day mark without starting. I am reading the manual, but days are ticking by and want no surprises. Any measures I need to take to let it start without starting for 7 - 10 days. Does it make sense to get that small Porsche batter charger? I

- Phil
It's very cheap peace of mind (60 bucks iirc).

·
Registered
519 Posts
Get yourself a battery tender. Peace of mind! Incidentally, after seven days the remote key function is no longer active. Unlock the door with the key, don't open the door; withdraw the key and immediately hit the door unlock button on the remote, and you're good to go. If you don't do this in the proper sequence, you will have the alarm going off.

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
FYI, in my case, because I leave the door unlocked, I just hop in and drive without following the sequence and I get no alarm. Obviously different if you've locked your car.

-Moto
Get yourself a battery tender. Peace of mind! Incidentally, after seven days the remote key function is no longer active. Unlock the door with the key, don't open the door; withdraw the key and immediately hit the door unlock button on the remote, and you're good to go. If you don't do this in the proper sequence, you will have the alarm going off.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I once left the car for 3 months locked with no problem whatsoever. Started right away, but the key went to sleep mode, which is not really a problem!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Due to the snow in NE I haven’t started the car for 3 weeks at one point
Doors locked, no battery tender, under car cover in garage
The other day crossed my fingers, re-synced the alarm & key and she started right away.
Now I prefer to start it once a week but it was just not in the books for that period.
I had the car running for about 25 minutes in garage
Also because of the holidays, vacations and snow I haven’t driven the car since late November, kind sux but I work from home so she only goes out for leisure.
So passing the 5 day mark is not a problem just make sure you re-sync the key and alarm

·
Premium Member
3,509 Posts
Due to the snow in NE I haven’t started the car for 3 weeks at one point
Doors locked, no battery tender, under car cover in garage
The other day crossed my fingers, re-synced the alarm & key and she started right away.
Now I prefer to start it once a week but it was just not in the books for that period.
I had the car running for about 25 minutes in garage
Also because of the holidays, vacations and snow I haven’t driven the car since late November, kind sux but I work from home so she only goes out for leisure.
So passing the 5 day mark is not a problem just make sure you re-sync the key and alarm

Wow! I wouldn't leave any car running in the garage for 25 minutes. Overheating is a real possibility and when the fans come on, they take 40 amps of power, so you're not getting much charging done.

Get a small charger, like Battery Tender or the Porsche charger, with a cigar lighter end. Just charge it that way. Always use the lighter between the seats in the ash tray.

If you can't charge it, take it out and drive it.

BTW, you can close the door completely with the battery tender wire hanging out the center of the door opening. The way the seals are made, it won't hurt anything.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have a 2008 Boxster S and I work out of town. Last year I would routinely go 5 to 6 days between starts with no problems at all. I just came home, put the key in, started it up and drove off.
Same here.

In fact I've regularly gone 10-14 days without driving my 2008 Cayman S, and it has always started right up after I did the key in the door thing to reactivate the alarm remote receiver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.