Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up an 06 CS and couple days in it pops out of second gear when decelerating at a light. Doesn't always happen but when it does, the lever doesn't actually come out into nuetral position...it just kinda clicks, moves a little, then engine goes to idle and your not in gear anymore.

I've adjusted the shift cables at the lever using the centering tool. I've then even biased the cables to pull more into second/fourth gear. I've gone to the Trans side and zip tied the drivers side cable in its bracket as it seemed to move while rowing the box.

I'm still having the issue.

One other thing I noticed while under there is that the wheel/bell crank that the cable rotates has a hell of a lot of play/slop that could affect how far it's actually turning instead of twisting. As far as I can see, it's just held on by a c-clip? Not a nut. Can anyone confirm? Can it be shimmed from behind? I got under my friends CS with a third the mileage tonight to compare play and his has some but definitely seems like less.

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
It might be something that simple. Certainly worth a shot. I'd think that would make it feel a bit vague and sloppy about going into gear.

My suspicion would be a bent shift fork or wear on the clutch splines of the sliding collar that couple the gear to the shaft. Name eludes me at the moment. It would be worth talking to someone familiar with these transmissions before spending a lot of time on replacing externals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did have it yesterday at lunch hour at the local pcar indy shop that had replaced the cables for the previous owner just a couple months ago. Tech was able to duplicate the issue once on a test drive and FWIW didn't think it felt like the internal issue they've seen causing second gear pop outs on Turbos. He fiddled with linkage at the trans, centered the lever/cables in the car using the Porsche plastic clip tool.

His theory was that the maybe bracket holding the driver side shift cable is bent causing misalignment making it not quite in gear on the off gears (1/2 and 5/6). Maybe also the cause of the shift cable breakage due to fatigue. The main bracket is stout and I'm not convinced it could be bent...the top little bracket held on with a couple bolts could be I suppose but the bracket is not available separately and I've no idea how to unbend the current one when we've no idea the correct position.

I got under the car myself last night. Zip tied the cable to the trans bracket as it was definitely moving about. Noticed the sloppy flywheel...so might as well secure that.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
FYI that flywheel is only there to improve the shift feel - it does not affect the actual shifting of gears. It provides inertia to the shift action for a smoother, more solid feel. Assuming it is moving freely, it will not be the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wheel does move freely but in two dimensions instead of just rotating. When pushed backwards like into second gear, the wheel twists. I was thinking (hoping?) maybe that might lead to the gear not being fully engaged.

Short of internal issues, any other ideas?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Usually if there's a linkage problem, you can't select any gear. Notice all the broken shifter cable posts?
Google alone shows gear pop out on decel is an internal issue on all types of cars.

I think it's an internal issue.
It takes an intentional mechanical movement to work the shift mechanism to get the forks to move and lock or unlock the corresponding
synchro-gear assembly.

Easy way to check transmission abuse / health /synchro damage, drain the oil. If you see lots of metal that tells all.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The wheel does move freely but in two dimensions instead of just rotating. When pushed backwards like into second gear, the wheel twists. I was thinking (hoping?) maybe that might lead to the gear not being fully engaged.
Yes that might be the problem if the wheel is moving in and out. Make sure the circlip is there, holding the wheel on its shaft.

Also, you can disconnect the flywheel completely (remove the connecting rod) to see if that cures the problem. If it does, then you can fix whatever is wrong there. If it doesn't then it's time for a look in the gearbox.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@racergreg

Yes, CirClip is still there. When you say disconnect the flywheel and test, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.

@Jeff
I appreciate that this could be an internal issue. However, I feel it would be a bit rash to have the car pop out of gear, read google, and order a new transmission.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Look at the left side of the transmission - the shift cable connects to a bell crank. This is what actually does the shifting. Then there is a linkage that connects the bell crank to the little flywheel with ball ends. You can remove that linkage (just pop the sockets off the balls).

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Edit: ignore my comments below about adjusting OEM cables @ transmission. I was thinking of Numeric cables. Sorry:eek:

OP, have your cables ever been replaced? You mentioned using the shifter centering tool to adjust the cables at the console. That is the last part of cable adjustment. It just affects where the shift lever centers. It does nothing for adjusting the cable's throw or range-of-motion at the tranny end. So, once you have (ideally both) cable ends off, you need to make sure that the full range fore/aft is possible. That means manually operating the wheel (and/or lever) and ensuring that the cable will allow that range of motion. Best way is to disconnect the cable(s) at the shifter so the cable(s) will easily move back and forth. I think you can also do it with the help of a second person to operate the shifter while the range-of-motion is being checked/adjusted at the transmission. Only after this is done should the shifter tool be used to center it.

I don't know if cable mis-adjustment can cause your problem, I only raise this since you mentioned checking the adjustment using the tool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@racergreg lol got it.

@RShwrewer
Yes. Cables have been replaced twice by the previous owner at a local Indy. Most recently in July of this year.

I suppose I have to get back under and look. I do not know how to adjust the range of motion at the transmission end. Is there something published?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
@racergreg lol got it.

@RShwrewer
Yes. Cables have been replaced twice by the previous owner at a local Indy. Most recently in July of this year.

I suppose I have to get back under and look. I do not know how to adjust the range of motion at the transmission end. Is there something published?
Sorry, I mis-spoke. I was thinking of the Numeric cables. I just checked my old OEM cables in the garage - there is no adjustment on the transmission end.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Make sure the cables cross over the engine. Sometimes people don't know how they are suppose to route.

Cman21

1 - 16 of 16 Posts