Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My favorite Porsche is the 718, but I love all Boxsters and had a couple.

Now I'm shopping for a 981 - because that's what my budget can get me - but I found a great looking 718 for almost the same price.

Of course the problem is that it has 60k+ miles, the car looks in great condition, and just 1 owner drove it a lot.

In your experience, do you face expensive repairs at this millage?

I'm not going to drive more than 5k per year, but I don't want to get a car that might need expensive repairs such as struts, etc...

Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's probably fine if the car has a clean history and got the recommended service at the appropriate intervals. Other things to consider are if it was tracked a lot. My guess at this mileage, is it was a daily driver, mostly highway miles. Considering the brand, age of the car, and driving habits of your typical Porsche owner, there probably aren't a ton of people out there with 718's with this many miles. If possible, have a Porsche dealer or trusted independent Porsche mechanic take a look. If it's a Porsche CPO than you're likely safe.

TBH, my experience with buying cars, especially sports cars, has been that the ones that were well driven and properly serviced fair better than garage warmers that only get a few thousand miles a year. These cars like to be driven, and the longer they idle, the more that goes wrong.

Great looking car BTW.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just purchased a 2013 981 with 90k miles, but it was so well maintained by the dealer, the dealer CPO'd if for two years!!! I wouldn't shy away from that mileage. Its nothing for these cars. Many people try to keep the value of their cars high keeping them low mileage. What's the point? These cars are meant to be driven; enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I plan to drive mine 150,000 in ten years.to date 18,000 miles . Also Ebay has near new motors for $5000 . These cars could go for a long time

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's probably fine if the car has a clean history and got the recommended service at the appropriate intervals. Other things to consider are if it was tracked a lot. My guess at this mileage, is it was a daily driver, mostly highway miles. Considering the brand, age of the car, and driving habits of your typical Porsche owner, there probably aren't a ton of people out there with 718's with this many miles. If possible, have a Porsche dealer or trusted independent Porsche mechanic take a look. If it's a Porsche CPO than you're likely safe.

TBH, my experience with buying cars, especially sports cars, has been that the ones that were well driven and properly serviced fair better than garage warmers that only get a few thousand miles a year. These cars like to be driven, and the longer they idle, the more that goes wrong.

Great looking car BTW.
Incredible useful advice. I appreciate you taking the time to provide your experience.

I had the car inspected and the car was pampered and seems like most miles we're highway.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just purchased a 2013 981 with 90k miles, but it was so well maintained by the dealer, the dealer CPO'd if for two years!!! I wouldn't shy away from that mileage. Its nothing for these cars. Many people try to keep the value of their cars high keeping them low mileage. What's the point? These cars are meant to be driven; enjoy the ride!
Super helpful comment. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I plan to drive mine 150,000 in ten years.to date 18,000 miles . Also Ebay has near new motors for $5000 . These cars could go for a long time
Wow, $5000 (well used of course), a new 981 S motor on the SunCoast website is I think $36,0000, more than a new Lycoming for my airplane. I had several VW bugs in college, a couple times when the engines died I would go to the junk yard and get a used engine for $200 - $300, swap it out in an afternoon and drive for another 10-20k miles. (And when they started using excessive amounts of oil would get free recycle motor oil from a friend at a gas station and refill with that).

·
Registered
162 Posts
FWIW my base 981 I sold it at around 55k miles, and from my POV it was as strongly reliable and dependable as my a Miata I once had. Never gave me a doubt as to its suitability for either daily or autocross or track use!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts