Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I figured it was much better then just a test drive. I was taking a little vacation in Vegas and decided to try the Cayman on the track. Now I have absolute zero experience on a track , and don't really know the first thing about "racing" a car.

So I hooked up with member , payne295171 (aka Jordan) , here at his job , Dream Racing , to take the GTS out for 7 laps .

Kudos to all the Dream Racing team , they were all incredibly nice , genuinely patient with everyone .

When I go to Dream Racing , I waiting in their comfy lounge with my wife until the rest of the 11am drivers got there. My group had a Corvette , 911 GT3 , Lambroghini Huracan . The instructor commented that the Cayman was the best handling out of the bunch probably , and the others could compensate for bad driving with sheer horsepower ;) .

So first we had a little briefing on how to shift with the paddle shifters , which was new to me since all the performance oriented cars I have owned were manuals. We reviewed the racing lines some , and general info about the cars we'd drive .

Then we went off to the simulator where we did a few laps with and instructor on the iRacing version of the track . There we went over driving technique , breaking , steering , lines , etc.. also helped us get used to the layout of the track .

Then we took a stroll down to the track, I got my helmet on , into the Caymen with Jordon , my instructor , and out to "race" .

The best advice I can give someone with little track experience when you do this , is try and relax. I was pumped full of adrenaline , and had a bit of tunnel vision .

And finally the 10 minute video : (much to my embarrassment you can see me testing the windshield washer , missing shifts, and hitting the wrong line on numerous occasions)

Definitely worth it though. Thanks Dream Racing .

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
OK, I disagree.

You are unfamiliar with the track and the car. Using the paddles instead of letting you run auto for a while was wrong IMHO. The student has too much to get, learn without being asked to add more from the git go.

IMHO you didn't get your money's worth and also really didn't learn anything. It was purely a sales pitch.

P.S.
And this was just watching less than 2 min of the video.

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience! That's awesome! I have to agree with your statement about relaxing but it's definitely easier said than done. lol

I signed up for a groupon deal with Gotham Dream Cars a couple years ago which is two autox laps with either a Lamborghini Gallardo or Ferrari (might have been a 430). Half of the things the instructor said went in one ear out the other but definitely a great experience. It was definitely too short but probably the only way I'd get to drive a Lambo or Ferrari. :)

Very cool!
-Moto

The best advice I can give someone with little track experience when you do this , is try and relax. I was pumped full of adrenaline , and had a bit of tunnel vision .

·
Registered
37 Posts
What was the cost for the day?
I live in LA area and has 0 experience. I am getting my cayman gts manual soon in july. Really exited. Can anyone suggest where should i start in leaning and improving my driving skill. Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live in LA area and has 0 experience. I am getting my cayman gts manual soon in july. Really exited. Can anyone suggest where should i start in leaning and improving my driving skill. Thank you

It was $250 for the 7 laps , this is billed as an "experience" , just something to give you an idea of what it's like to take one of these on the track. It is not billed as , nor is any sort of real serious prep for racing .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oh its cheap. I checked the classes with bmw and porsche. They all cost 1500+ Can u provide some information. I would like to go and experience it next time i go to vegas

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
How about the Las Vegas Region of PCA? Instructed Driver Education ("DE") at Spring Mountain for $350 for 2 days on the track in your car. If you want to improve your high performance driving skills spend your money on a DE with an instructor. If you want entertainment, the chaperoned Dream Cars laps are fine. Totally different experiences.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Oh its cheap. I checked the classes with bmw and porsche. They all cost 1500+ Can u provide some information. I would like to go and experience it next time i go to vegas

I'm not sure you get any real learning at this type of experience. It may be a fun $250 thrill ride, but as someone else said if you really want to learn how to drive properly, you should try the DE program from PCA or BMWCCA with your own car. It will take much more than 7 laps and quite a few weekends, but you will learn a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
How about the Las Vegas Region of PCA? Instructed Driver Education ("DE") at Spring Mountain for $350 for 2 days on the track in your car. If you want to improve your high performance driving skills spend your money on a DE with an instructor. If you want entertainment, the chaperoned Dream Cars laps are fine. Totally different experiences.
+1

Not to mention, that Spring Mountain is a really fun course. They do a good thing out there...

Reactions: never enuf

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think the spring mountain is not for beginners. It is stated on the website.
So both the porsche and bmw have de classes but only 2-3 times a year. Is there any place has more classes and has low price too?
Btw porsche says any make and model. How about bmw? The photo on the web are all bmw cars

·
Registered
507 Posts
Steve, I'm glad you came in. I had fun meeting you and your wife and talking with you briefly before and after our track session. Sadly, I wish we were together through the simulation session as well as on track but, I'm glad I at least got to see you for the driving portion.

It's true that its difficult, seemingly impossible, to learn to 'race cars' in 7 laps. Any person who has spent any time on a road course knows this, but I hope that after the Classroom session, 1 on 1 coaching in the simulator, and in car experience you were able to leave Dream Racing with a basic understanding of sport driving and a little more confidence on track.

From the first lap to the last lap you can see the smoothness and confidence that you had built in only a matter of 10 minutes on track. If you decide to come back, or if any planet-9 member wants to stop by dream racing for some time on track, request for Jordan to be your instructor and I'll try and cram as much racing knowledge into your being as efficiently as I can.

The most important part about driving on track is trying to be calm, understand the racing lines, and enjoy yourself. Once you've accomplished these things, there are an enormous amount of other things we can work on, but.... It's always good to go out there and have some fun!

Hopefully you can convince your wife to let you buy the Cayman BEFORE the Q7 steve. I'm sure we'll see you again :drivingskid:

And for everyone saying that It would be cool to take your own car to sanctioned DE events, Yeah of course that's a good time.. and you may have more laps to explore things on a circuit; but it's always nice to know that if you make a mistake at places like Dream Racing, your pride and joy isn't at risk. I think that's a huge appeal to what we do at dream racing because there's no stress involved, no maintenance, no tire usage, no rock chips, no over-revs, nothing on your own vehicle. Just get out there and drive.

Reactions: qhb

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
OK, I disagree.

You are unfamiliar with the track and the car. Using the paddles instead of letting you run auto for a while was wrong IMHO. The student has too much to get, learn without being asked to add more from the git go.

IMHO you didn't get your money's worth and also really didn't learn anything. It was purely a sales pitch.

P.S.
And this was just watching less than 2 min of the video.
---------
+1; while this short track event was enough to wet your whistle, there wasn't enough time to learn much and the paddles added one more (unnecessary) process in the seven laps when you're trying to find your way around the track.

A couple of things:
-auto X: I did it for a few years before doing my first DE; you learn a lot about how you car turns and brakes in a controlled environment for not a lot of $. The down side is during the course of an afternoon you may only get 10 minutes of seat time going around a course, but you will learn about the car and how to drive it.
-PCA DE: More $ for sure but you will get extensive instruction and you will get a lot more seat time than this event. 2 day events run $400 providing 4/20-25 minute sessions/day. At the end of the second day, you will have a much better idea of how to drive your car around a track at speed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
DE's are great but tend to become expensive over time with the wear and tear on the car and tires etc....Autocross may be a better start for a beginner. the Porsche school in Alabama is very expensive but well worth it if you have the time and the money. I much prefer beating up their cars instead of mine.

I'm not sure you get any real learning at this type of experience. It may be a fun $250 thrill ride, but as someone else said if you really want to learn how to drive properly, you should try the DE program from PCA or BMWCCA with your own car. It will take much more than 7 laps and quite a few weekends, but you will learn a lot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: mw5ohion

·
Registered
432 Posts
OK, I disagree.

I think you're being overly harsh. You have to view these events as 'experience' oriented events an not driving training.

From the stand point of driver training I 100% agree that learning the track and the line would be a better use of limited time (7 laps) than worrying about paddle shifting if it's a new process to you.

From the stand point of an 'Experience' I think it's reasonable to get the full monte thrown at you. I recently did a similar event in Las Vegas and I was only interested in experiencing the cars I was in, so although I naturally start mapping out the racing line on their track I was just as content to bring the car up to the tire limits and shaking it around a bit just to see what it would do. I wanted understeer, oversteer and 4 wheel drifts, which lead to many missed apexes, but it was a different objective.

But totally agree with you from a developmental driver curriculum like the PCA has.

·
Registered
432 Posts

As I think others have responded the PCA (along with others) have a wonderful HPDE program that will take you from knowing nothing to safely being able to drive around a race track at speed. This would be in your GTS which is great from the standpoint of really knowing what your car will do, but does expose your car to some risk that I would say increases as you get more serious but is (IMHO) low for the first several events.

Alternatively I'd look into renting or buying a racing kart. Karts have the advantage of being incredibly cheap (I'd throw out roughly 1/10th the cost of campaigning a car), have a much higher performance envelope as compared with even the highest of performance cars, are incredibly safe due to their incredible grip stopping you even from full speed in shockingly short distances, usually before you'd ever leave the racing surface and you'll utilize the same techniques such as the racing line, balancing the kart during cornering and under braking, etc.

The skill set needed to drive a kart is exaggerated as compared with cars because the wheel base is so short that weight transfer is more extreme. The driving skills transfer over to cars very easily (the chassis setup skills do not).

I've done both extensively, they are both enjoyable and I have nothing bad to say about the PCAs very well run HPDE programs, but karting is hands down a better value and better learning environment for high performance driving. You'd be hard pressed to find a professional racer today who wasn't a karter.

But for sure you'd have a great learning experience with the PCA program as well.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
It's Vegas, you go to Vegas on vacation and many people ....

Drink too much ...
Gamble too much ...
Eat too much ...
Stay up way to late and don't get enough sleep ...
Spend way too much on shows ...

And what happens there, stays there.

It's for fun. Who cares if you all learn a single thing there about driving?

OP, I am GLAD you had a good time. Good for you. :)

I LOVE VEGAS :eek:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Karting is a wonderful idea. I should probably try that also.

Autocrossing is a good idea also. I tried that for a while, but I personally found it frustrating because you spend many hours just to get a few minutes of driving. Also, the courses were too tight for me to feel like I was learning much (other than getting better at looking for those darn cones and trying to remember where the course was). That may have been my poor choice of events.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
507 Posts
Its shocking to me that so many of you think that places like Dream Racing don't teach you to drive cars... Some of you overly criticizing the program.

We have full blown Ferrari Challenge cars and Lamborghini Super trofeo race cars on full super soft slicks(Cars that you can only drive if you BUY them yourself anywhere else in the world, upwards of 400,000 for a track toy).

Just today (yes easter morning) I spent 40 laps with one gentleman and went over a classroom session, 20 minutes in a simulator, and TWO 30 minute telemetry printouts of this guy's laps. Telemetry where I can go over the very degree of steering input and % of throttle usage, lbs of brake pressure, and cut his previous lap time from a 54.4 to a 52.1.

I can't help but be a little offended that people think we just toss every customer into a car and let them experience driving at a basic pace on a race track.

Of course you get the level of attention you pay for, This was a $5,000 package, a hell of a steal in racing terms. If you go to the 'official' porsche school in europe you pay 10,000 to spend your first day in a boxster, second in a carerra, and only 1 session in a Porsche cup car. Hugely inflated and bogus price if you ask me.

/endrant

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
OP - very cool.

Dream Racing is one of the great way to get introduce to performance driving. Will you learn anything in a few laps? Heck yes!!! If you walk away with at least one of these then money well spent.

1) You scare the sh*t out of yourself and swear that racing is not for you
2) You finally come to the realization that you're not as good as you think you're.
3) You can brag with your friends that you drove on a race track. This is something that 99.99% (if not more) of the people that would never have this experience in their lifetime.
4) You drove the car that you can't even test drive or sit in it even at the dealer.
5) You have the big grin on your face.
6) You find out that your skill is way beyond the level that Dream Racing is teaching so you decided to quit your job and pursue a F1 career.
7) ... more ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts