Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4.0L M97, dry sump twin garret turbos, open exhaust, 100 octane gas. 700 + WHP at ~ 1.2 BAR. This engine has excellent throttle response a broad torque curve and outstanding power. The catch? For the multiple full throttle applications of road racing the heads lift enough that some combustion gasses leak into the coolant and over pressurize the system. For boost up to .8 bar it's great. We are going to retire this engine and install a 996 TT based 3.8 L in the Cayman race car.
Final M97 Dyno large.JPG

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Wow, incredible numbers, how does this compare to the pressure Porsche runs on the GT2 RS? I wonder how they keep their offering together and be able to include a warranty!

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This engine is similar to the garden variety M97 engine found in Gen 1 Cayman, Boxters and 911's of that era. Turbo and GT3 models had a completely different engine called a "Mezger" after the designer. It is a much stronger engine. Current turbo and GT3 models use a completely different direct injection engine designed to take the stress of very high RPM's and or boost. This boost level is about the same as a GT2 RS

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
Still a worthy accomplishment for the M97 engine, but as you say, other designs came about to help with reliability as the outputs increased.

It all serves to remind me that the modern Porsche engines are quite the accomplishment.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Several engine pix on my build thread here
I'll also have pix of my new TT 3.8L Mezger build expecting at least 750 WHP

·
Registered
77 Posts
Several engine pix on my build thread here
I'll also have pix of my new TT 3.8L Mezger build expecting at least 750 WHP
Thank you!!