Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 291 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I think it's an understatement to say that most people here aren't particularly excited about the 718 and it's turbo flat-four engine.

Suppose that for whatever reason, you missed out on getting a new 981.1 (maybe the base wasn't fast enough and the S was out of your price range), and you still want a new sports car (because you want to hold on to the car for a while, and you don't want to have to deal with reliability issues) in the under $60K price range. Which one would you buy?

The C7 Corvette is the obvious alternative (460 HP 6.2L V8, 0-60 in 4.0 s). You get 911S performance for the price of a base Cayman, albeit with less overall refinement.

The M2 is an interesting new option (365 HP 3L turbo I6, 0-60 in 4.4 s with MT). With prices rumored to be in the low-50s, the M2 is likely to be a good performance value. It's one downside is it's weight (3450 lbs with MT).

Of course, for ultimate straight-line bang-for-the-buck, you can't beat the new Camaro SS and Mustang GT, but they aren't in the same class in terms of sports car dynamics as the C7, and nowhere near a 981.

If you're looking for a more hardcore sports car (though bizarrely one that only comes with an automatic transmission), the Alfa 4C might also be an option, though not as a daily driver.

Coming in at $62,395, the 2017 Jaguar F-type is slightly above the $60K limit, but might also be an option. As some reviewers have noted, it's basically a British Corvette, with more style, but less performance.

I suppose the Audi TT/TTS is also in this range, but as one reviewer said, "If you don't care about a sporty driving experience, then the TT could be a good choice." So, the TT would not be on my list.

Likewise, I would consider the current generation BMW Z4 and Mercedes SLK as more grand touring cars than sports cars.

Which one would you pick?

·
Registered
299 Posts
I looked at most of the cars on your list, and drove a few of them. The choice was not difficult for me at all. I ordered a Cayman. The Corvette came in second place.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I like the E89 Z4. I know I'm the only one but hey :D

I will not get another e89 with a 4-cylinder turbo, though ;)

·
Registered
357 Posts
Buy a CPO 1 or 2 year old 981.1 S or GTS, problem solved.

You can look at all the numbers and read all the reviews up but until you spend time with each you really can't get the full picture. I just traded a 2014' C7 Z51 for a 6 month old 2015 BGTS and haven't looked back. If driving dynamics, refinement, fit and finish matter to you then you won't be happy in the Corvette. The new Alpha platform SS is a more refined car than the C7 and I think people will be shocked when they see its track times. It's also built better.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That's a good question, and I can't think of any better alternatives than the 718, despite the 4cyl engine. Lotus is planning on shipping more cars here in a few years, so that would probably be worth a look, eventually. The new Exige 350 Sport looks sweet, but it would be over $60K.

All of of that being said, I always buy used with a warranty, so I'd still just buy an older model. Even in another 7 years, one will still be able to buy a 981 from Carmax, and their Maxcare Warranty is about as good as it gets (coverage is usually for 5-6 years and as good as CPO.)

I'm personally just going to put money back into my 987 and keep it long term, but I still have 4 years left on my Maxcare warranty.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think people that are thinking about a Porsche will buy one just to say they own a Porsche as much as they care about other things like performance. The Cayman and Boxters have historically been the worst bang for your buck as far as power goes but people still buy them. I think the 718 will do just fine. Whats going to be interesting is if they actually lower the price, I think theyll keep it as is.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
For what it worth, the new 911 with turbo surprised many with great performance and sounding so give 718 a chance first.

I drove M235i in one of BMW sideshow and I was duly impressed by it so I think M2 should be somewhere around awesome.

·
Registered
745 Posts
For what it worth, the new 911 with turbo surprised many with great performance and sounding so give 718 a chance first.

I drove M235i in one of BMW sideshow and I was duly impressed by it so I think M2 should be somewhere around awesome.
There have been both positive and negative reviews of the new 911 turbo sound and feel.

·
Premium Member
408 Posts
The M2 is an interesting new option (365 HP 3L turbo I6, 0-60 in 4.4 s with MT). With prices rumored to be in the low-50s, the M2 is likely to be a good performance value. It's one downside is it's weight (3450 lbs with MT).
For a change of pace the Mercedes C450 AMG Sport Sedan @ $50,800 looks appealing. It is heavy @ 3746lbs but its biturbo V6 produces 362HP and its 0-60 is 4.8sec which is a bit faster than the 5.4sec for my Cayman and it gets 21/29 MPG.

·
Registered
745 Posts
... The Cayman and Boxters have historically been the worst bang for your buck as far as power goes but people still buy them.
The same could be said about some of the 911s, too. The thing is, Porsche has long been known for handling, rather than straight line speed. Buying a car that's 500-1000lbs heavier with a really powerful engine isn't even on my radar. If anything, I'd want something lighter than the Cayman, not heavier, which is why Lotus comes to mind.

·
Registered
737 Posts
OP, I think you missed a key one: GT350.

I'd pick that over all the others... unless I was going vert, in which case I'd choose the 'vette.

·
Registered
299 Posts
OP, I think you missed a key one: GT350.

I'd pick that over all the others... unless I was going vert, in which case I'd choose the 'vette.
The Shelby GT350 is one of the first cars I considered, but I was put off at the $8,000 over MSRP the dealer quoted me, and he would not budge. This is at a time when the same dealer is advertising $10,000 off MSRP on F-150 trucks. So these guys did me a big favor. After kicking Corvette tires, I drifted over to the Porsche dealership, ordered a Cayman, and got $2,900 below MSRP.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have gone through this thought process but not at under 60k. My Cayman listed at over 80k so that ballpark is my starting point. Certainly the Corvette is on my list, also the Jaguar F Type S. Some bigger cars also crept onto my list, the Volvo Polestar, the Cadillac ATS-V, and even the Lexus RC F. I am leaning towards the Jag however. All I know is that it will not be a Porsche and it will not be 4 cylinders.
Larry

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
I thought about this in advance and made the choice to get the 2016 Cayman 2.7L to replace my 2014 Cayman 2.7L. I had thought about a 2017 but when I started hearing the turbo 4 rumors, opted to do the last NA boxer 6. However, I also have great faith in Porsche and have little doubt that in a year or two, they will sort out the turbo 4..............lag, possible heat related issues (cannot get away from the fact that our engines are tucked way inside out of ready access to airflow and those turbos and intercoolers are going to be worked hard....), weight et al and a 2018 or 2019 will be a fine option for a trade in.......

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
So, I think it's an understatement to say that most people here aren't particularly excited about the 718 and it's turbo flat-four engine.

Suppose that for whatever reason, you missed out on getting a new 981.1 (maybe the base wasn't fast enough and the S was out of your price range), and you still want a new sports car (because you want to hold on to the car for a while, and you don't want to have to deal with reliability issues) in the under $60K price range. Which one would you buy?

The C7 Corvette is the obvious alternative (460 HP 6.2L V8, 0-60 in 4.0 s). You get 911S performance for the price of a base Cayman, albeit with less overall refinement.

Of course, for ultimate straight-line bang-for-the-buck, you can't beat the new Camaro SS and Mustang GT, but they aren't in the same class in terms of sports car dynamics as the C7, and nowhere near a 981.

If you're looking for a more hardcore sports car (though bizarrely one that only comes with an automatic transmission), the Alfa 4C might also be an option, though not as a daily driver.

Coming in at $62,395, the 2017 Jaguar F-type is slightly above the $60K limit, but might also be an option. As some reviewers have noted, it's basically a British Corvette, with more style, but less performance.

I suppose the Audi TT/TTS is also in this range, but as one reviewer said, "If you don't care about a sporty driving experience, then the TT could be a good choice." So, the TT would not be on my list.

Likewise, I would consider the current generation BMW Z4 and Mercedes SLK as more grand touring cars than sports cars.

Which one would you pick?

Yes , when you take into account a 4 cyl Cayman and compare it with a Corvette, and many of these cars you mention , the Cayman seems to come up short. I never thought I'd say this but the Corvette, for the same price or less, is becoming a very appealing alternative. Of course, I'm not planning on getting rid of my NA flat 6.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
There are good Turbo cars from VW as well: Audi TTRS, Audi RS3 share the same lovely 2,5 TFSI engine. I would take either one over the 718 without hesitation. The Golf R is probably a better choice than the 718 as well. It all depends on what you are after. SLK AMG 55 perhaps?

·
Registered
115 Posts
There are good Turbo cars from VW as well: Audi TTRS, Audi RS3 share the same lovely 2,5 TFSI engine. I would take either one over the 718 without hesitation. The Golf R is probably a better choice than the 718 as well. It all depends on what you are after. SLK AMG 55 perhaps?
Yes, I would second the TTRS. I have a '13 TTS and have been in a current TTRS and have owned a Cayman and 996. The extra TTRS cyl. definitely helps with exhaust sound, and hp/tq as well. The new one should be great is AWD is desired. It will never have the same chassis feel as a mid engine Porsche though. A flat 4 should be able to produce good exhaust sounds and should be nothing like an inline 4. Even the WRX/STI have the ability to sound much better than an inline 4 and depending on how Porsche designs it's headers, the flat 4 could produce a very nice exhaust note.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
At least let the car come out before condemning that poor thing? I hate to sound like westwest888 but keep an open mind and all? What sailor99 said up there?

Reactions: jimfbk
1 - 20 of 291 Posts