Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

718 GTS Flat-Six Announcement - Good for existing 981 owners?

• Yes

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No Impact

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not looking to buy or sell, having too much fun with my 2014 boxster s!

But I have noticed secondary market 981 prices have stayed pretty steady over the past year or so down in south florida versus the previous year. I assumed part of it may had been due to fairly low supply of top condition models here along with demand by buyers who desired a flat-six and never expected it again in the future except for the higher priced spyders and GT4s. But breathing life back into this model which has frankly been struggling a bit with the 718 may be a good thing.. I'm not sure.

I'm just curious what current 981 owners think of the recent news of the flat-six coming back to GTS? (y)(n)

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have a 2013 BS, not particularly concerned about resale. It's hard to say what effect a 718 GTS may have on the 981 values. I wouldn't expect much change either way honestly since the 718 GTS is expected to start at $87K or more and our 2013/2014 BS are worth less than half that at best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm just curious what current 981 owners think of the recent news of the flat-six coming back to GTS? (y)(n)
I welcome it as I've grown to enjoy the characteristics of the NA6/PDK in the 981.

The recent announcement gives me a little hope that in a year or 2 I'll be able to build a NA6/PDK Cayman to my exact specifications...if Stuttgart plays along and doesn't limit production of them.

Being relatively new to the Porsche Universe, their production/allocation/sales strategies are frustratingly puzzling to someone who doesnt much care about depreciation or collectability...I just wanna buy an incredibly fun car built to my specs!

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have a 981 BGTS and am thrilled they are offering a non-Spyder/GT4 flat six again.

I think the release of the GTS 4.0 will bring some of the higher 981 GTS prices down to a more reasonable level of depreciation. But aside from that the 987.2 and 981 models have held their value exceptionally well and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
I have a 981 BGTS and am thrilled they are offering a non-Spyder/GT4 flat six again.

I think the release of the GTS 4.0 will bring some of the higher 981 GTS prices down to a more reasonable level of depreciation. But aside from that the 987.2 and 981 models have held their value exceptionally well and will continue to do so.
I agree that 981 GTS prices will likely soften, and suggest the GTS 4.0 will affect the 981 GT4 market as well. The unknown at this point is how easy will it be to get a GTS 4.0; if it’s hard to get an allocation that might bode well for 981s, however if everyone that wants one gets one the notion that the NA 981 flat sixes were the last of their kind and thus “special” goes up in smoke. The reality is that as the next iteration of Boxster/Cayman will likely be electric, and NA flat sixes again commonplace, the small run of 2.5L turbo 4 GTSs is suddenly rare. Historically, with older Porsche sports cars rarity is a big part of the value equation.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Can you swap it into our cars?
Ya, at least so far this is my position. I will no doubt spend lots of time on the configurator, but with the exception of the bezel-less head unit I prefer the interior styling of the 981.

The 3.4 is also a very solid engine with no known issues and mine continues to get a clean bill of health from the oil lab.

I think this new 4.0 is going to be stunning, but I’m going to wait a year or two before making any decisions.

I do think this will soften the used 981 GTS market a bit, but not a lot.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The last year or so 981 GTS’s have been listed for $15-20k more than well-optioned S models, which is irrational given the similarity. I think that will probably stop but the 981 base and S models will hold pretty strong.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The last year or so 981 GTS’s have been listed for $15-20k more than well-optioned S models, which is irrational given the similarity. I think that will probably stop but the 981 base and S models will hold pretty strong.
While this may be true, I don't see how this GTS premium is caused by the engine. Each version essentially has the same engine.

I feel that there is just a "GTS" premium that may potentially persist... in other words GTS and S will both decline.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i ran across this YouTube video. I thought it was relevant but YMMV.

Not sure I totally agree with this guy...he's saying a bunch of people will want to get out of the 981's because they can go to a newer, 718 GTS 4.0. I would venture to guess there are a lot of 981 base or 981 S owners that wouldn't do that.

The equivalent move from a 981 base or 981 S would still be to the 718 T4, which most wouldn't do. The leap from a 981 base or 981 S to a 4.0 GTS will still be a large chunk of change. Not sure there's enough of a reason to make that jump for most 981 owners (unless miles are high, condition is old and it's time for a new car).

I think the 981 GTS and 718 GTS values will certainly take a hit due to the 4.0 GTS...but the 981 base and S models, will only depreciate in relative response to the 981 GTS values (not because there's a flood of 981 Base or 981 S models on the market with people moving to the new 4.0 GTS).

Overall, it's still to soon to tell - since what Porsche does with the Boxster is still speculation. If I were a betting man, and if they were smart IMO, I'd say they should come out with one more generation, using the T4 for the base...and the 4.0 for the S and GTS models (with a slight increase in power for the GTS over the S).

All of this hogwash talk about moving to electric next generation makes my head want to explode. A Porsche is not Porsche without the flat 6 sound. Any models they come out in electric, they should call it something else.

I picked up a 2013 981 Boxster S, with now 5200 miles on it (found a complete time capsule). It's everything we want and will be good enough for years to come. Bought it well depreciated so we'll just drive it and enjoy it. Our depreciation will be a hell of a lot less than people who bought 981 or 718's new.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Well, I purchased my car to enjoy it, not as some sort of bad investment that I fret over. But all this talk about Cayman GTS depreciation and everything had me curious so I checked every 2016 981 Cayman GTS for sale in the US on Autotrader.

My car has “depreciated” by about $10k or 11% in the past almost 5 years.

Which I find ridiculous, for a car. I suspect, as some have stated, that people (like me) are holding onto them because getting into the new best thing is a big financial commitment without a correspondingly big benefit.

Do I want a 4.0? Absolutely! Do I want it $40k more than the car I have now? That’s the big question I think people are asking themselves and the lack of depreciation in the market is the answer.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm not looking to buy or sell, having too much fun with my 2014 boxster s!

But I have noticed secondary market 981 prices have stayed pretty steady over the past year or so down in south florida versus the previous year. I assumed part of it may had been due to fairly low supply of top condition models here along with demand by buyers who desired a flat-six and never expected it again in the future except for the higher priced spyders and GT4s. But breathing life back into this model which has frankly been struggling a bit with the 718 may be a good thing.. I'm not sure.

I suspect that putting the flat 6 into the 718 lineup will have value depressing affect on the older models. When I started shopping for a used '14 or '15 back in 2017, I noticed that they values were fairly strong. From the comments I was reading at the time it appeared to be due to the resistance among the faithful to the T4. Consequently I was able to order a '18 718 for less than 10k more than I needed to pay for a '15 CS which was actually a slightly less in performance capability. The new flat 6 will also push the values of the T4 718's lower as well.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Who, exactly, is cross-shopping a new $90K+ car (practically, higher) against used models that are now at least four model years older? I'm sure there is a small cross section of buyers doing this, but it's can't be a very large audience.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Who, exactly, is cross-shopping a new $90K+ car (practically, higher) against used models that are now at least four model years older? I'm sure there is a small cross section of buyers doing this, but it's can't be a very large audience.
That is not the issue. As the dismal sales numbers indicated, you had fewer Cayman/Boxster owners who were trading/selling their cars to get the new 718 model which led to lower used inventories and higher prices. With a more popular flat six making it's way into the line up, owners will tend to sell/trade up whereby increasing the supply of used 2nd gen Caymans and lowering prices. It's simple supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Equally important, someone who wants an NA6 Boxster or Cayman now has the option to wait for a new car. Previously, it was the T4 or nothing, and if you wanted a new Porsche two-seater but didn't want a four-banger, it sucked to be you. You were forced to buy preowned. I imagine that took a lot of buyers out of the market entirely.

That's the main way I can see the new car having an impact on 981 market values. The 981s have depreciated beyond the point where they're directly competitive with a new 4.0L GTS offering, but they were holding a lot of value on the basis that they were the last and most desirable of their line. That's no longer the case.

Sure, my own car's worth less than it was, but that's a good thing. More options are better for all of us.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
My dealer; Manhattan Motorcars, sends an offer to buy my car and get a new B or C every month. They were at trading value of $78k in Oct, now Dec came in at 68k
First time the trade in has gone down. Clearly value down once the new Spyder 4.0 came out. -10k in 2 months

·
Registered
947 Posts
Can you swap it into our cars?
You can do ANYTHING for the right amount of money. Is it worth it is the question. Some may say doing so would actually HURT the resale of your car.

·
Registered
947 Posts

I agree. There is a reason that my selling dealer asked me via mail and phone call, 3 times, to come in and trade. Then I get an email the other day from Porsche wanting to BUY my car! They know the 981 is selling well and bringing nice margins. My guess is this is the very reason they are bringing the flat 6 back. I would not be surprised to see it creep back in and make the flat 4 one model for a certain market. I say creep back in because they won't come right out and admit they were wrong, but slowly boiling the frog so people don't notice is how I predict it will return.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts