Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple years ago I designed a clear engine cover for my 981 Cayman S. My thread on its development can be found here:

981 Clear Engine Cover

The same engine cover also fits the 718! Unfortunately the engine bay isn't much to look at because it doesn't show the traditional pretty view of a symmetric intake air manifold. Instead, what you see is a huge air filter box and the charge cooler. Here's picture without any engine cover installed:

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine City car

Here's what it looks like with the mounting hardware for my clear engine cover installed:

Vehicle Car Auto part Engine City car

My clear engine cover fits the 718 exactly the same way as in the 981.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Hood

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Luxury vehicle Auto part

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Auto part

Note that the final version of my clear engine cover uses black screws and those sheet metal tabs at the front corners of the engine bay are covered with 3D printed caps. The kit also includes white LED lighting that plugs directly into the stock interior lighting system.

While the engine isn't much to look at (at least not without some kind of cosmetic facade that I sometimes think about developing), my clear cover has one benefit other than easier access to the engine that 718 owners may appreciate: it makes the engine sound much more lively and exciting.

From my point of view, I don't hate the stock 718 sound like so many others do. While I do prefer the sound of my 987 CS and 981 CS, I also like the sound of the stock 718 CS though it seems a little flat. After installing the clear cover though, the sound transformed enough that I really really want to add a 718 to the collection. I like the sound at least as much as I do for my older Caymans. With the clear cover, what you hear are all the air intake sounds you're otherwise missing: the turbo spooling up, the whooshing of the air as the boost builds up, and the excess air bleeding off when you hit max boost or let off the throttle. There are so many different sounds that are changing all the time, and it makes for a dynamic and complex experience. The clear cover doesn't allow the sound to get much louder (it's only a max of 2 dB louder, which is not perceptible to most people), but it allows the sound to be much more detailed.

I only had access to this 718 CS for a day, but I wish I could have one forever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Great informative article. I was curious abt a clear cover my 2018-718. I’m disappointed the 718, does not hve the awesome visual of the engine compartment as it’s predecessors (981/987).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great design and I agree the inside sound on the 718 at high revs is quite good, just a little muffled.

Maybe you could make a nice carbon airbox cover to look at through the clear engine cover?

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Some detailing and maybe paint work could make it a lot more appealing. Why would anyone want to look at a dirty air box and hoses.
Understand you didn't have time for the niceties but a user certainly could do a couple hour detail and then the cover in place would look it's best to all viewers.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I can't tell you how many people comment on my clear engine cover and are blown away on the way it looks - this includes other Cayman/Boxster owners.

BTW, this car is currently for sale so you can have this mod (along with many others) without doing all the work :) I'm already on the list for a clear engine cover from the OP for my new 981 GT4.

Reactions: JPHB

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some detailing and maybe paint work could make it a lot more appealing. Why would anyone want to look at a dirty air box and hoses.
Understand you didn't have time for the niceties but a user certainly could do a couple hour detail and then the cover in place would look it's best to all viewers.
I didn't bother cleaning the engine bay because I was just testing if my 981 clear engine cover design fits the 982. Honestly, it doesn't even take a couple hours to detail. 15 minutes and a water hose, and you're done. The dust rinses off without any scrubbing. Ignoring the dirt, the turbo flat-4 engine definitely doesn't have a traditional look to it. I'm still considering designing a facade for the air box and charge cooler, but hesitate because I don't know how much demand there will be for something that would cost several hundreds of dollars.

The bigger reason why I think the engine cover is interesting is because of how much it changes the sound characteristics of the engine. The engine with all the turbo sounds is quite exciting and engaging.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if the new GT4 engine (4.0L) has the same set up as this 718 shown above? Or is it more similar to the old set up with the 981? I have a car on order (once the factory resumes production) and I would be interested in this engine cover if there was actually something to see! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Please place me on the waiting list for your 718/982 clear engine cover kit.
I live in Australia, and I understand you do not post overseas, so I thought I would use one of the many agents that can provide me a USA postal address. Would this work for you?

Please also provide price including local freight (California) and your preferred payment method

With thanks

Bernie Murphy
E: [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Australia, and I understand you do not post overseas, so I thought I would use one of the many agents that can provide me a USA postal address. Would this work for you?

Please also provide price including local freight (California) and your preferred payment method

With thanks

Bernie Murphy
It is soooo nice. They guy who does it is very very easy to work with and fair.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

With thanks

Bernie Murphy
Thanks, I'll send you an email with info soon. The only reasons why I haven't shipped overseas yet are because of the shipping/VAT costs and not knowing all of the rules and regulations to follow for each country. As long as the buyer takes responsibility for these two issues, I'm open to making the kit available outside the US.

·
Registered
21 Posts
A couple years ago I designed a clear engine cover for my 981 Cayman S. My thread on its development can be found here:

981 Clear Engine Cover

The same engine cover also fits the 718! Unfortunately the engine bay isn't much to look at because it doesn't show the traditional pretty view of a symmetric intake air manifold. Instead, what you see is a huge air filter box and the charge cooler. Here's picture without any engine cover installed:

View attachment 267191

Here's what it looks like with the mounting hardware for my clear engine cover installed:

View attachment 267192

My clear engine cover fits the 718 exactly the same way as in the 981.

View attachment 267195

View attachment 267194

View attachment 267193

Note that the final version of my clear engine cover uses black screws and those sheet metal tabs at the front corners of the engine bay are covered with 3D printed caps. The kit also includes white LED lighting that plugs directly into the stock interior lighting system.

While the engine isn't much to look at (at least not without some kind of cosmetic facade that I sometimes think about developing), my clear cover has one benefit other than easier access to the engine that 718 owners may appreciate: it makes the engine sound much more lively and exciting.

From my point of view, I don't hate the stock 718 sound like so many others do. While I do prefer the sound of my 987 CS and 981 CS, I also like the sound of the stock 718 CS though it seems a little flat. After installing the clear cover though, the sound transformed enough that I really really want to add a 718 to the collection. I like the sound at least as much as I do for my older Caymans. With the clear cover, what you hear are all the air intake sounds you're otherwise missing: the turbo spooling up, the whooshing of the air as the boost builds up, and the excess air bleeding off when you hit max boost or let off the throttle. There are so many different sounds that are changing all the time, and it makes for a dynamic and complex experience. The clear cover doesn't allow the sound to get much louder (it's only a max of 2 dB louder, which is not perceptible to most people), but it allows the sound to be much more detailed.

I only had access to this 718 CS for a day, but I wish I could have one forever.
Thanks, I'll send you an email with info soon. The only reasons why I haven't shipped overseas yet are because of the shipping/VAT costs and not knowing all of the rules and regulations to follow for each country. As long as the buyer takes responsibility for these two issues, I'm open to making the kit available outside the US.
I would be interested in your pricing with shipping on the clear engine cover for my 2016 981. It looks great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does your cover fit a 2019 Cayman 718
Thank You [email protected]

·
Registered
194 Posts
Seems like an easy fix for the 718 crowd that want the clear engine cover would be to silkscreen a picture of the 981 flat six to the underside of the clear plexiglass...

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,729 Posts
Those 718 Intercoolers need to be relocated… that thing doesn’t do chit on top of that motor… nice looking covers tho… I’d love one on my 987, kinda hard to find

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems like an easy fix for the 718 crowd that want the clear engine cover would be to silkscreen a picture of the 981 flat six to the underside of the clear plexiglass...
I jokingly did something similar while I was developing another prototype of a clear engine cover. The office where I work is full of hot rodded cars, so this was to mess around with the JDM crowd.

Those 718 Intercoolers need to be relocated… that thing doesn’t do chit on top of that motor… nice looking covers tho… I’d love one on my 987, kinda hard to find
The charge cooler is air-to-water, so it doesn't hurt much that it sits on top of the engine. It keeps the air path between the turbo and throttle body short, which is important for good throttle response and minimizing charge pressure loss.

If you're looking for a clear engine cover for your 987, it seems that the most popular is the HIP Design one.

·
Registered
2008 Cayman RS (my version) and non-RS 2010 GT3
1,729 Posts
I jokingly did something similar while I was developing another prototype of a clear engine cover. The office where I work is full of hot rodded cars, so this was to mess around with the JDM crowd.

View attachment 275900

The charge cooler is air-to-water, so it doesn't hurt much that it sits on top of the engine. It keeps the air path between the turbo and throttle body short, which is important for good throttle response and minimizing charge pressure loss.

If you're looking for a clear engine cover for your 987, it seems that the most popular is the HIP Design one.
A2W, had no idea it was. I know zero about the 718 standard cars.
Thanks for the tip.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts