Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Can you tell me a bit more about the easier access to the engine? Does this cover no longer require removing the seatbelt and rear trim and carpets etc?
That's correct, you would no longer need to remove any interior trim to access the engine. The clear engine cover replaces the carpet above the engine, and requires only 6 screws removed with an allen key to reach the engine. All of the interior trim remains untouched.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's correct, you would no longer need to remove any interior trim to access the engine. The clear engine cover replaces the carpet above the engine, and requires only 6 screws removed with an allen key to reach the engine. All of the interior trim remains untouched.
that's tempting. Although with my modified exhaust, I really don't want the interior any louder, but I can possible fashion some sound deadening or carpet to go on top, as I'm really after the quick access. How much are you selling this for? Feel free to PM if you prefer. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
that's tempting. Although with my modified exhaust, I really don't want the interior any louder, but I can possible fashion some sound deadening or carpet to go on top, as I'm really after the quick access. How much are you selling this for? Feel free to PM if you prefer. Thank you!
If you're looking for a quick-access cover but want to retain stock levels of sound insulation and almost-stock carpeted look, I designed such a cover:

I haven't updated the thread with the final design, but it's actually finished and works. The initial installation requires removal of the interior trim pieces, but once it's installed it'll provide you access to the engine bay without touching the interior trim ever again. The design retains the stock aluminium engine cover underneath, so this is more suitable for track use than my clear engine cover design.

Let me know if this sounds interesting, and I'll update the quick access cover thread with more info. Also please PM me your email address so I can send you a quote. I'm occupied with making clear engine covers right now, so I apologize in advance if I'm a bit slow to respond.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're looking for a quick-access cover but want to retain stock levels of sound insulation and almost-stock carpeted look, I designed such a cover:

I haven't updated the thread with the final design, but it's actually finished and works. The initial installation requires removal of the interior trim pieces, but once it's installed it'll provide you access to the engine bay without touching the interior trim ever again. The design retains the stock aluminium engine cover underneath, so this is more suitable for track use than my clear engine cover design.

Let me know if this sounds interesting, and I'll update the quick access cover thread with more info. Also please PM me your email address so I can send you a quote. I'm occupied with making clear engine covers right now, so I apologize in advance if I'm a bit slow to respond.
That definitely sounds interesting and is what I'd go with. Pm with my email coming now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A couple years ago I designed a clear engine cover for my 981 Cayman S. My thread on its development can be found here:

981 Clear Engine Cover

The same engine cover also fits the 718! Unfortunately the engine bay isn't much to look at because it doesn't show the traditional pretty view of a symmetric intake air manifold. Instead, what you see is a huge air filter box and the charge cooler. Here's picture without any engine cover installed:

View attachment 267191

Here's what it looks like with the mounting hardware for my clear engine cover installed:

View attachment 267192

My clear engine cover fits the 718 exactly the same way as in the 981.

View attachment 267195

View attachment 267194

View attachment 267193

Note that the final version of my clear engine cover uses black screws and those sheet metal tabs at the front corners of the engine bay are covered with 3D printed caps. The kit also includes white LED lighting that plugs directly into the stock interior lighting system.

While the engine isn't much to look at (at least not without some kind of cosmetic facade that I sometimes think about developing), my clear cover has one benefit other than easier access to the engine that 718 owners may appreciate: it makes the engine sound much more lively and exciting.

From my point of view, I don't hate the stock 718 sound like so many others do. While I do prefer the sound of my 987 CS and 981 CS, I also like the sound of the stock 718 CS though it seems a little flat. After installing the clear cover though, the sound transformed enough that I really really want to add a 718 to the collection. I like the sound at least as much as I do for my older Caymans. With the clear cover, what you hear are all the air intake sounds you're otherwise missing: the turbo spooling up, the whooshing of the air as the boost builds up, and the excess air bleeding off when you hit max boost or let off the throttle. There are so many different sounds that are changing all the time, and it makes for a dynamic and complex experience. The clear cover doesn't allow the sound to get much louder (it's only a max of 2 dB louder, which is not perceptible to most people), but it allows the sound to be much more detailed.

I only had access to this 718 CS for a day, but I wish I could have one forever.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have the 2018 718 Cayman, 982-generation, so not a good look on top of that engine bay. But if I had the 981, I would definitely get this cover and do the paint modifications for the engine bay, its a great look! If they anyone ever develops a similar modification to the 981 that looks anything like the 982 engine top, I'm all over it.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Here is what one owner of a 718 flat-4 with the clear engine cover did:

Car Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

The airbox had its ridges removed then was hydro-dipped with a carbon fiber pattern. The charge cooler was painted red.

Here is what the 718 4.0 looks like with the clear engine cover:

Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Car Trunk

I'm currently in the process of designing/making an engine centerpiece for the 718 4.0, and this is a rendering of the part:

Product Luggage and bags Font Bag Rectangle

And here is how the first parts are looking so far:

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gadget Gas

Hood Yellow Rectangle Office equipment Automotive exterior

I'll hopefully be able to get the 718 4.0 engine centerpiece in the first car within the next couple weeks.

For the sake of comparison, here is how my similar designs look in other Cayman models:

987.2:

Grille Car Automotive lighting Hood Light

981:

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design

If there's enough interest, I may design an engine centerpiece for the 718 flat-4 as well.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looks great! I’m definitely interested if you go forward with making more of this design!
Good to know, thanks! If/when I design something for the 718 flat-4, it probably won't look similar to the previous designs because the flat-4's engine is asymmetrical and without visible intake plenums. Below is an design concept I made for the 718 4.0 that might serve as a starting point for a flat-4 centerpiece design:

Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here are some photos of the real parts on a 718 4.0:

Engine with just the clear engine cover:

Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Engine centerpiece base parts installed on the intake manifold:

Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Car Auto part Nut

Engine centerpiece installed:

Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Font Machine

Intake caps installed on the engine centerpiece - note that the intake caps are optional:

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

View through the rear hatch:

Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior Motor vehicle

Personally I'd prefer it without the intake caps, but it's nice having a choice!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer the all-naked look - the first picture in the last post! After all, why go through all the trouble to reveal the engine, and then cover it up with stuff that was never there in the first place?

Nice work! Is there a bit more engine or intake noise in the cabin with the clear cover replacing the stock metal-and-sound-insulated cover?

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
From what I've observed, everyone likes their car a little bit different. Like I mentioned earlier, it's nice having a choice! From a high-end auto manufacturer's point of view, whenever the engine is visible to the end user, there is always some kind of cosmetic engine centerpiece added. Porsche didn't do this for the Cayman engines because they're not normally visible. But with the clear engine cover changing that, it makes sense to consider adding a cosmetic engine centerpiece.

Regarding noise, loudness-wise it's almost the same as stock at idle and cruising. It maxes out at around 2 dB louder at high RPM, which isn't observable to most people. There is however more high frequency sounds coming in, so you'll hear more air intake induction sounds as well as engine scream when you push it. It's a more lively sound and just a tad louder at high RPM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I have a 2020 718 S. I'm interested in the clear engine cover as well. If possible could you message me on here or email me with the options and prices? Thanks in advance.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts