Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Scary. Hope it's a one-off, but the recall does give some concern.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Its the turbo.. too much heat, for sure going to be a significant issue and a nationwide recall... :p. "she barely escaped".

·
Registered
857 Posts
This issue whatever it is not super ideal for anyone on the track. I remember the 987.1 that caught fire on track due to power steering fluid catching fire.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Scary and sad too!

Fuel even leaked out and flowed under the car while it burned... amazed it isn't simply a pile of melted goo!

Attachments

·
Registered
857 Posts
Your guess is probably spot on. This was a conflagration, not a little fire!!

Scary and sad too!

But I am curious why the front looks like it too was burnt? Maybe fuel leaked and flowed under the car while it burned?

Reactions: triode12

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Your guess is probably spot on. This was a conflagration, not a little fire!!
I looked at the video footage again and you could see flames out from and the car is on an incline...

·
Registered
16 Posts
The top was down on this vehicle. Can you imagine the smoke inside a closed Cayman plus the risk of fire as your driving on the road? A very dangerous situation indeed. Fuel must have been leaking below the car as the fire was burning. The fuel tank is at the front of the car and it would have been a bigger fire if it caught. Even if this car wasn't affected by the recall, it is telling that a recall notice for the fuel collection pipes was issued. I hope Porsche takes this seriously.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
Or there is the possibility that the owner tried to get out of a car she was upside down on. Just saying, it happens.
If you listen to the owner on the video, she stated that she just purchased the vehicle. To me that means the car is less than a month old. So absent evidence to the contrary, I'm giving the owner the benefit of the doubt, especially since this is a known problem and a recall has been issued. It looks like the recall should be expanded to include vehicles like hers.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
If you listen to the owner on the video, she stated that she just purchased the vehicle. To me that means the car is less than a month old. So absent evidence to the contrary, I'm giving the owner the benefit of the doubt, especially since this is a known problem and a recall has been issued. It looks like the recall should be expanded to include vehicles like hers.
Agreed,

Last year we took delivery of our 2016 Macan, but only after a short hold up when the vehicle landed in North America, there was a recall for the fuel rail and they would not release the vehicle to be transported to the dealer until this was corrected.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I have been watching salvage car auctions for two years and see a disconcerting (to me) number of 9X1 vehicles burned. Now most were the result of an accident, but some of it was difficult to tell why the car went up in flames. Many that were involved in accidents caught first in the gas tank area and the fire spread into the passenger compartment.

V6

·
Registered
148 Posts
Well now we know why a fire extinguisher is an interior option. Always wondered ... :: ducking ::

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just dropped my 2017 718 Boxster S off at the dealer for the "improved fastening screws". The recall notice says it will take approximately 6 hours.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.