Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I received a lucky and grateful call from my local Porsche dealership last Wednesday. They received one build slot for the new 718 GT4, which they kindly offered to me. I gave them a draft spec and deposit that afternoon to confirm the order.

The car should arrive in September, so I will have another 6 weeks before I have to lock down my spec. I have a number of questions which hopefully some has had experience with, or can advise on.

01 - Manual: My last two Porsche's both had PDK gear boxes, which I absolutely love... and I'm somewhat nervous of the idea changing to a manual gear box. I have a 1986 manual 3.2 Carrera 911 and I love and appreciate a manual gear box in that car, as it gives you a very rewarding and raw driving experience, however I've always been on the PDK side of the fence when it comes to the Manual vs PDK debate in a modern day Porsche, or any modern day sports car for that matter, as I love both the sound and speed of change that a PDK option delivers. Has anyone here changed from driving a PDK to a manual in a relatively modern Porsche, and is it something that you regret?

02 - Brakes: I have specced the standard red steel calipers, however I am considering the yellow ceramics, but slightly concerned they'll squeal like a bus after a few weeks. Are they a waste of money if you are not tracking the car? Any regrets on speccing a car with or without them?

03 - Limited Run Or Not: When Porsche posted a pic of the new GT4 on Instagram during the week, someone commented that it was "too much money for a car that doesn't have a limited production run", which someone else said the smae. Has anyone heard anything around this? My local Porsche dealership said they were only allocated one build slot for 2019, so I presumed like many other GT cars, it would be a limited production run.

04 - Options / Spec: Any thoughts on must have specs on the new GT4. I always spec cars quite subtle both from an aesthetics and options point of view, however this is my first Porsche from the GT range - http://www.porsche-code.com/PL1DKZ43

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Porsche is going to build as many GT4/Spyders as they can sell.

I can’t see your location from my mobile, but I’m pretty sure the cars aren’t scheduled to hit the States until Spring 2020.

I bought a manual Boxster GTS and 10 months later added a PDK 911. The PDK 911, though the best daily driver I have ever owned, is about to be replaced. The PDK gives me no joy on pleasure drives. Going back to a manual.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Very nice and good luck with your future purchase. Like the BoxsterGT guy I'll be very surprised if you get the car by September.
While it's not a limited car, the pricing is very much in line with the rest of the Cayman lineup and still won't be easy to get.
Also, I have heard that you will be able to order a PDK version of the Cayman GT4 in the future, but not the Boxster Spyder. The Boxster Spyder will likely be more collectible again this round.
Carbon Ceramic Brakes are great at eliminating brake dust on your wheels and I'm sure are sought after for resale, so probably a good option.
Paint to Sample can also be a great option that increases future resale, I definitely would not order a car like this in a generic color like black/silver/gray/white, let the 911 Turbo guys buy those colors!
Most other options like different wheels, painted this and that add a lot of unnecessary cost and aren't must have's that increase value.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: oo7ml

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
I am not aware of your financial position but that is a pretty basic spec, you need to spice it up a bit! ;)

I am seriously considering PCCB, do I need them, heck no, do they look serious, oh ya!

Colour is a very personal choice, grey/silver for me? Never in a million years...

As mentioned in the above posts, my SA said not to expect to see my car until next spring.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
My “order” was over 4 years ago .. a 2015 GTS. So, a couple things from that point of view — which may or may not be totally on point.
*Since you are specifying the build, this is your chance to get it totally what you want. I got pretty close but regretted not getting the back up camera (now standard I believe). BUT,
*. Pick a focus.. not just what might be nice. My focus was GTS touring and some track —- so ordered all the performance options — sport suspension, PVT/limited slip and.. PDK. The PDK, for me, was the best option to blend touring and periodic DE’s.
*. I think the standard brakes are totally fine.. ceramic a bit of overkill unless you have a lot of extra $$. They are way pricey to replace which is what you would do if you do “frequent” track days.
*. Enjoy the whole order - delivery process. Deliver to Dublin will be uneventful — mine had to make the trip all the way to California!

·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Hi,

I received a lucky and grateful call from my local Porsche dealership last Wednesday. They received one build slot for the new 718 GT4, which they kindly offered to me. I gave them a draft spec and deposit that afternoon to confirm the order.

The car should arrive in September, so I will have another 6 weeks before I have to lock down my spec. I have a number of questions which hopefully some has had experience with, or can advise on.

01 - Manual: My last two Porsche's both had PDK gear boxes, which I absolutely love... and I'm somewhat nervous of the idea changing to a manual gear box. I have a 1986 manual 3.2 Carrera 911 and I love and appreciate a manual gear box in that car, as it gives you a very rewarding and raw driving experience, however I've always been on the PDK side of the fence when it comes to the Manual vs PDK debate in a modern day Porsche, or any modern day sports car for that matter, as I love both the sound and speed of change that a PDK option delivers. Has anyone here changed from driving a PDK to a manual in a relatively modern Porsche, and is it something that you regret?

02 - Brakes: I have specced the standard red steel calipers, however I am considering the yellow ceramics, but slightly concerned they'll squeal like a bus after a few weeks. Are they a waste of money if you are not tracking the car? Any regrets on speccing a car with or without them?

03 - Limited Run Or Not: When Porsche posted a pic of the new GT4 on Instagram during the week, someone commented that it was "too much money for a car that doesn't have a limited production run", which someone else said the smae. Has anyone heard anything around this? My local Porsche dealership said they were only allocated one build slot for 2019, so I presumed like many other GT cars, it would be a limited production run.

04 - Options / Spec: Any thoughts on must have specs on the new GT4. I always spec cars quite subtle both from an aesthetics and options point of view, however this is my first Porsche from the GT range - http://www.porsche-code.com/PL1DKZ43

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.
718 GT4 production is currently not limited by Porsche, they will build as many as they have orders for. When a dealer says they have an allocation, it is simply that, a specific allocation for their dealership but if they sold another GT4 Porsche isn't going to say no, they will just give them another allocation. Porsche could choose to limit it in the future, but currently GT4 production is NOT limited, if 1 million people ordered them, then Porsche would try to build and deliver 1 million... :hilarious:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. I'm based in Dublin, Ireland.

I actually asked the dealership if they would keep my car on the showroom floor and hold off registering it until Jan 2020, but they said they need to register it as soon as it lands in the showroom.

As for the spec, I've previously ordered a 981 Cayman S and a 718 GTS and both of those were low spec cars purely because I like a more subtle look, and not for financial reasons. Both cars were Agate Grey and GT Silver too... and now i'm going GT Silver again... how boring of me :) Again, each to their own lol :)

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Thanks all. I'm based in Dublin, Ireland.

I actually asked the dealership if they would keep my car on the showroom floor and hold off registering it until Jan 2020, but they said they need to register it as soon as it lands in the showroom.

As for the spec, I've previously ordered a 981 Cayman S and a 718 GTS and both of those were low spec cars purely because I like a more subtle look, and not for financial reasons. Both cars were Agate Grey and GT Silver too... and now i'm going GT Silver again... how boring of me :) Again, each to their own lol :)
I'm with you. GT Silver is the ONLY color I'd order...and only with black interior. No colored gauges, no colored seatbelts. Contrast stitching in red or silver OK.

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
718 GT4 production is currently not limited by Porsche, they will build as many as they have orders for. When a dealer says they have an allocation, it is simply that, a specific allocation for their dealership but if they sold another GT4 Porsche isn't going to say no, they will just give them another allocation. Porsche could choose to limit it in the future, but currently GT4 production is NOT limited, if 1 million people ordered them, then Porsche would try to build and deliver 1 million... :hilarious:
No arguments with what you say about the build out of GT4, except the million, it took Porsche about 60 years to make a million 911's ! ;)

Reactions: DFW and James III

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Congratulations on the upcoming order, a great car. The one thing that you don’t mention is how you intend to use the car. I don’t want to argue about MT v PDK, because it is purely subjective. After driving MT cars all my life, I switched to PDK in my last 911, for me, there is no going back. However, I use my car as a DD in a suburban area with heavy traffic. I don’t miss the MT at all, even when driving the back roads and mountains on the weekend. A lot of the folks on here, use their cars only for fun on weekends etc. in that type of driving I can understand wanting the MT for a more engaging experience. Otherwise, for me, the PDK is the better choice.

That being said, there is no telling if or when Porsche might release a so called touring version of the GT4 with PDK so, if you want the car now, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy it.

As to the PCCB choice, it is probably overkill for average driving and an expensive option to buy and to replace. If you think you need them, by all means get what you want. If it’s just for looks, have yours powder coated or painted yellow. Again, only your needs matter here. I wouldn’t buy them for resale reasons, I don’t think they will increase the resale down the line , particularly since it has been said that this isn’t a limited edition car.

GT Silver is a great color. I like some of the paint to order colors but I can’t bring myself to pay that kind of premium for paint. I wanted a nice dark green last time but couldn’t bring myself to pay for it, cheaper to buy white and have the car wrapped.

Enjoy the car when it gets to you, sounds like you’ll have it way before we see it here in the states.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: shivaswrath

·
Registered
245 Posts
My 2 cents...
Nothing against GT Silver or PDK...that’s my Targa.
I would never pay for ceramics, but that’s just me and related to the way I drive.
Love MB, G red and manual box. My next Spyder will be one of those colors.
Buy what you like and forget about resale.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Reactions: DFW

·
Registered
5,443 Posts
Re ceramics, I remember a thread on P9 about the cost of replacements. It was a staggering number, into 5 figures US.

Confirmed here:

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/03/24/porsche-carbon-brakes-not-for-race-tracks/
It is certainly a love hate relationship with PCCB brakes, they have a number of very desirable features, but replacement cost is not one of them!

I would still consider them but be prepared to swap out the rotors with iron equivalents should the need arise, GiroDisc usually makes the correct sizes for many cars including Porsche.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Most people with PCCB factory brakes take the rotors and pads out and swap in iron ones if they take it to the track. A single rock or piece of gravel chipping or cracking the CF rotor means thousands of dollars of replacement. Not to mention the thousands of dollars of replacement even when they wear out from normal use. Extremely few people use pccb’s on track if they aren’t pro or semi pro racing.

As far as what options to get, it completely depends on what your goals are for the car. Do you want a 100% track oriented car that you’ll be trailering and won’t make it over a pothole or speed bump? Do you want a fun car that you can drive everywhere? Totally different sets of options.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So, if it is not a limited run and anyone can get one if they are willing to wait, there should be no ridiculous dealer premiums - right? Those who have ordered please speak up.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm sure when Preuninger said the 718 GT4 would not be limited in his interview, corporate had a heart attack! It was foot-in-mouth moment. What he meant to say, it is not limited to a certain number of cars - like 1 out of 718. But, like all GT cars, they will limit the production so that it appears hard to get. Allocations will be supplied in groups so the dealers will always sold out. Like the last GT3, and GT3RS before that. I do think they will build many, and depreciation will exist as normal in the case of the 718 GT4. In the case of the 981 GT4, the demand far exceeded supply - mostly because it was an affordable, only-way-to-get manual in a GT car. 50% of that market is satiated, as they either own a 981 GT4, or a new manual GT3. So for these reasons, I think it is safe to say that if you really want one, you'll get one. As far as Dealers selling for above MSRP, that is market dependent. They'll get it so long as convenience of buying locally is more important that the buyer's money. Otherwise, paying MSRP will be no problem.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I would love a GT4 but my recommendation, if not a standard item, is the rear wiper. My 981 could sure use it!
Not an option on a GT car. Maybe you are looking the wrong way?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts