Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Yeah I hope that particulate filter isn't mandated for the USA. But if it's a turbo yay I saved a bunch of money. I just hope Porsche doesn't make the price ridiculous. Weird thing is I like the subtle curves the 981 has the ,718 kind of appears a bit ironed out. Others notice that or is it just me? Most obvious near the headlights area. Either way speculation has been rife and even with all these videos it's crazy how we can't figure out what motor it has lol!
If the 982 GT4 is a NA 425 HP car with a MT, I doubt that I'll be paying any attention to its shape. Of course the downside of a car like this is that it will be impossible to buy one at MSRP for at least a couple years.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If the 982 GT4 is a NA 425 HP car with a MT, I doubt that I'll be paying any attention to its shape. Of course the downside of a car like this is that it will be impossible to buy one at MSRP for at least a couple years.
Which is why, imho, right now is the best time to buy the original GT4, which can be made a 425hp car for a lot less than the cost differential with a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
I watched that video, then went a found others of the 981 GT4 filmed trackside on the 'Ring. The audio signatures for the 981 and the 718 are quite different, with the 718 sounding "muffled" in comparison to the 981. I still think there's a chance the 718 GT4 will be sporting a flat-4 turbo.
Two thoughts:

1. The 718GT4 has zero chance of being a flat turbo 4. ZERO!!! :crazy:
2. I'm gonna be driving the GT4, so I really don't care how it sounds to some guy hiding in the weeds. :drivingskid:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Two thoughts:

1. The 718GT4 has zero chance of being a flat turbo 4. ZERO!!! :crazy:
lol. Right. Because the internet says so. That the Clubsport is a NA flat six doesn't mean the road car will be.
I'll do a public "mea culpa" if it's a NA six; will you do the same if it's a T-four?

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Which is why, imho, right now is the best time to buy the original GT4, which can be made a 425hp car for a lot less than the cost differential with a new one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have no idea what GT4s are actually selling for but the ask price for three year old models in my area is approximately the original MSRP. I live in the northeast and I have never seen Porsches discounted in the spring time in my area. So you are suggesting that I start with a three year old $100K car and then add more money into modifying it? Just a guess but I would expect the 982 GT4 to be priced in the $100K - $110K range, not counting the ADM. If my guess is right I could have a new GT4 for the price of the modified 981 GT4. Of course I'll have to be patient, and give the buyers who are willing to pay any price to get flushed out of the market.

·
Registered
559 Posts
They are all over the web in the low to mid/80s. I certainly agree with you if you had to pay that much for a used GT4. Obviously, we can’t put all the pieces together until we know what it will actually cost you, as in MSRP +?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
848 Posts
If the article is correct, the 982 GT4 will definitely have an ADM. Just hope it doesn't get crazy like on the GT3RS or GT2RS. Unfortunately Porsche GT cars attract a lot of speculators.
I hear you. There is always the problem of actually getting one.

I know some would consider it sacrilege, but a touring packing on a 4.0 GT4 and it would be my dream car.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I hear you. There is always the problem of actually getting one.
Not quite so much, anymore. Chows4us is right in saying they'll build n-1, but here's the thing... n-1 is a lot more than Porsche used to build.

Preuninger was pissed about 911R resale shenanigans. He and execs both said to the press repeatedly that the 911R shenanigans broke the camel's back Something along the lines of, "If we wanted to charge that much for these cars, we would. We don't, because we want them to be affordable, for enthusiasts to buy them, and drive them instead of rubbing them with a diaper and trying to make a quick buck at the expense of the guy who just wants one to drive."
GT3 and GT3RSes were a problem for a while, but the 911R was the last time.

Hence the GT3 Touring. Hence the hojillion speculative GT2 RSs for sale right now there are going NOWHERE because there's TONS of them out there. Hell, in my area one couldn't even be sold by the dealer, and a 23-year old education tourist[1] is who ended up buying it because the regulars either already had one or didn't want one. The Speedster? The 997.2 they built 356. The 991.2 they're building 1948. And they're easily $300K out the door (no markup).

See, before they made more like n/2 or n/3 special cars (for markets like Britain, even less). Now Porsche truly is making n-1. The Speedster numbers are apparently enough of a problem that my dealership called me out of the blue if I'd be interested. Mostly because there's not many interested in this climate, and they thought to themselves, "Hey, that young wacko who drives the Spyder top down in the winter and everyone asks about -- think he'd go for it if he has the cash sitting around?"

We're also getting to where there are too many special variants in general... for all brands. When everything is special, nothing is.

So the good news is if you want a special Porsche, they're going to be easier to get. The only issue the GT4 might have is since it's so "cheap" (relative to actual exotica) a lot of people can afford it, so you do have more competition in that segment... but if you put in your interest, a handful of markets aside, you have way better odds getting one this time around. Just put your deposit in now, before 6 more people do it before you. If you want a GT2 RS, go buy one, as there's a fair number sitting around. If you want a Speedster, a dealership will love you for making that problem go away (especially in colder climates) for them.

That and the stupid speculative crap is going to stop. Finally. Every dentist from LA to Boston bought a 3.2 Carrera when they came out -- people asking $60K for those things is finally stopping, as they all collectively realize there's a bazillion of them. Though yes, Virginia, your 981 GT4 (and Spyder to a lesser extent as there's only a third as many) are going to slowly depreciate down to like $70K-ish ($80K-ish for well equipped) where they'll sit there.

-----

Also, the Performance SUVs are coming en masse. There are Cayennes and Bentaygas and Uruses that'll take you in a straight line... even all the way up to 150mph (and they have a higher top speed). On the road, sure, but that's where we all are 99.9% of the time.

Ford is advertising the "Edge ST" as a "sports car" and when something is cheaper and has about as many horseponies as your "sports car" (any non-Spyder/GT4 mid-engine Porsche) people don't care. More room, AWD, more numbers for less money = better. We all know how that truly works out, but the reality is they'll all sell in droves as manufacturers make more of them. Even in Boston I see MULTIPLE Ford Raptors for EVERY PORSCHE I see (total), and that's just Raptors.

[1]Hate to say it like that, but that's the reality. Someone here for school, with well-heeled parents, and given enough money to toodle around in crazy exotica during their stay.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Just put your deposit in now, before 6 more people do it before you.
Agree with your post except would like to challenge you on this one point. Do you really think that customers don't leap frog over others on this dealer list? Repeat customers, connected people or those who offer to pay way over MSRP for these types of limited cars seem to get the nod at many dealerships.

These dealer lists are not codified by Porsche and there is no visibility of who is on the list, how many allocations are coming in etc. So there is no transparency. It's a sham.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Agree with your post except would like to challenge you on this one point. Do you really think that customers don't leap frog over others on this dealer list? Repeat customers, connected people or those who offer to pay way over MSRP for these types of limited cars seem to get the nod at many dealerships.
As someone who had two GT4 and two Spyder allocations pop -- and is a complete nobody to Porsche dealers -- no I don't, except for very specific markets.

In the US if you're in SFBA, LA, Seattle, Dallas/Fort Worth, NYC-area or Miami it does happen. Anywhere else, it basically doesn't, as there isn't enough demand to cause you to get screwed if you have a deposit in that long. Guys who are trying to get a GT3 RS don't give a rats *** about a GT4 -- they just want their GT3 RS. With more cars being produced, it's going to happen even less.

Go to car shows and talk to GT4 owners. I've talked to tons (close to a dozen) where it was their first Porsche.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As someone who had two GT4 and two Spyder allocations pop -- and is a complete nobody to Porsche dealers -- no I don't, except for very specific markets.

In the US if you're in SFBA, LA, Seattle, Dallas/Fort Worth, NYC-area or Miami it does happen. Anywhere else, it basically doesn't, as there isn't enough demand to cause you to get screwed if you have a deposit in that long. Guys who are trying to get a GT3 RS don't give a rats *** about a GT4 -- they just want their GT3 RS. With more cars being produced, it's going to happen even less.

Go to car shows and talk to GT4 owners. I've talked to tons (close to a dozen) where it was their first Porsche.

I am in agreement. I think because Atlanta is a hub for Porshce (HQ, PEC etc) much harder here to get desired Porsche. When I wanted to trade in my E92 M3 and get a GT4 I was refused. I was not a prior Porsche owner. Hennessy Porsche refused me out right. I saw 2 Spyders at Porsche Perimeter and was instantly smitten. GT silver with sofas and Sapphire Blue with buckets. Guess which one I ended up with :D

After Hennessy found out I picked up a Spyder they asked me if i was interested in swapping it for a Guards Red GT4 brand new. Guess what my response was.

Also agree with subshooter. So I agree with you both!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I am in agreement. I think because Atlanta is a hub for Porshce (HQ, PEC etc) much harder here to get desired Porsche. When I wanted to trade in my E92 M3 and get a GT4 I was refused. I was not a prior Porsche owner. Hennessy Porsche refused me out right. I saw 2 Spyders at Porsche Perimeter and was instantly smitten. GT silver with sofas and Sapphire Blue with buckets. Guess which one I ended up with :D

After Hennessy found out I picked up a Spyder they asked me if i was interested in swapping it for a Guards Red GT4 brand new. Guess what my response was.

Also agree with subshooter. So I agree with you both!
Amazing and arrogant at the same time that a dealership would refuse to sell what they had in stock! I applaud that you turned them down when they came calling.

Related but a bit off topic, I finally got a chance to sit in the Spyder LWB's, I think I could do this type of seat, I keep very active so ingress/egress would not be a problem, very nice once you are in. Still I would miss the heat on a cold day, but for the look alone I might have to toughen up a bit! ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Amazing and arrogant at the same time that a dealership would refuse to sell what they had in stock! I applaud that you turned them down when they came calling.

Related but a bit off topic, I finally got a chance to sit in the Spyder LWB's, I think I could do this type of seat, I keep very active so ingress/egress would not be a problem, very nice once you are in. Still I would miss the heat on a cold day, but for the look alone I might have to toughen up a bit! ;)
Yeah I felt the same as well but honestly I was just so happy I got what I wanted. As if fate was making up for my disappointment at being refused. They basically said they didn't have any allocations. I didn't believe it. And their offer on the Guards Red confirmed my suspicions.

As for the LWBS. I would always spec it. With the top down it just adds to the look of the car so much. DBCarbon sells a carbon kit for the roll hoop that matches the seat and I am so tempted to get it to enhance the look further. Also those seats don't need any seat warmers cause the alcantara is so temperature agnostic. My wife loves falling asleep in the car on long drives when we are heading back home and it's one seat I have noticed where she passes out much faster than other she's been in AND the support keeps her neck upright whereas the other seats I worry her neck is just gonna wrench off the amount of 'lean angle' she gets lol.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Yeah I felt the same as well but honestly I was just so happy I got what I wanted. As if fate was making up for my disappointment at being refused. They basically said they didn't have any allocations. I didn't believe it. And their offer on the Guards Red confirmed my suspicions.

As for the LWBS. I would always spec it. With the top down it just adds to the look of the car so much. DBCarbon sells a carbon kit for the roll hoop that matches the seat and I am so tempted to get it to enhance the look further. Also those seats don't need any seat warmers cause the alcantara is so temperature agnostic. My wife loves falling asleep in the car on long drives when we are heading back home and it's one seat I have noticed where she passes out much faster than other she's been in AND the support keeps her neck upright whereas the other seats I worry her neck is just gonna wrench off the amount of 'lean angle' she gets lol.
I checked out the hoop in carbon fiber, WOW! looks great, but so was the price! :)

I better land the car first before I start looking at mods!

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I checked out the hoop in carbon fiber, WOW! looks great, but so was the price! :)

I better land the car first before I start looking at mods!
ROFL I know exactly what you mean. I got a list of mods planned out for my current Spdyer if I don't get the new one.

Vorsteiner aero kit
Dundon D4 engine kit
Forged wheels

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
ROFL I know exactly what you mean. I got a list of mods planned out for my current Spdyer if I don't get the new one.

Vorsteiner aero kit
Dundon D4 engine kit
Forged wheels
Interesting, spices things up! I would have a hard time with deciding on the upcoming Spyder if I already had a 2016, at least I have one less decision to make! ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I also don't think there will be any markup considering it will get it to GT3 territory albeit slightly used very fast. Any decent spec should be around 120k I would think.

Also they are not limiting production numbers it seems unlike previous gen from what I read.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts