Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I'm not sure that this helps but the press release for the new GTS shows 0-60 at 4.5 sec and a 7800 redline. The press release for the T4 in the past showed 0-60 at 4.1 sec, however that was with PDK and SC. It would seem to me, and I'm no expert, that performance will be pretty similar.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
As a recent buyer in the same situation, I certainly feel that I was misled. Even though the performance appears to be very similar. I certainly would have opted for the 6 over the T4. I'm kind of regretting not having waited for the 992.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
So as a recent buyer of the 718 GTS did Porsche just troll me and my wallet?
Stop, please lets not go down this route, you bought what was available and what you wanted, if you really wanted a F6 then you should have bought a 981, not complain that as the manufacturer tries new configurations for their cars it gets seen poorly. Add to this rumours of the F6 in something other than the GT4/Spyder have been out since last June!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stop, please lets not go down this route, you bought what was available and what you wanted, if you really wanted a F6 then you should have bought a 981, not complain that as the manufacturer tries new configurations for their cars it gets seen poorly. Add to this rumours of the F6 in something other than the GT4/Spyder have been out since last June!
"rumour" since when can a consumer make an informed decision based on rumour??? hell my dealer doesn't even know if the gt4 is coming with a pdk option or not. (it's a monopoly for the dealer here, small country 1 dealer), a discount on the 2019 GTS model would have helped, but no...full price + options and now the car is outdated 9 months later.

standard industry practice is to put a huge discount on your inventory when the model is being replaced.
this is borderline unethical business practice., but whatever, you live and you learn I guess. life moves on.

Thanks Porsche.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
It’s not clear to me whether the 4.0L GTS replaces the 2.5L version or it’s just an engine option. If the former, I expect the 4.0 would be priced between the current GTS and the GT4, and buyers will have to decide what best suits their driving style and preferences. If the 4.0 is priced within striking distance price wise of the Spyder and GT4 a “base” turbo GTS is still in the mix, we will see strong enthusiast camps for both versions.

I think the 2.5L GTS is a brilliant car, as are the 718 Spyder and GT4. It remains to be seen whether the 4.0 GTS is something special or merely a recreation of the 981 GTS to call out the T4 haters to put up AND shut up.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
"rumour" since when can a consumer make an informed decision based on rumour???
Everyone on this forum, and all the other Porsche forums, that put deposits down on the 981 GT4 based on rumors while everyone else waited for dealerships and salesmen to make "informed decisions" and, in turn, ended up getting a GT4? Meanwhile those that waited fumed because "they weren't in line". Just a guess.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've been critical of a lot of things Porsche has done, but I gotta give them credit on this one for listening to the voices in the market. It'll be very interesting to see the sales figures when the new NA 6 variant has been out there for a year.

That said, it doesn't seem like this would be a super difficult development effort to execute, so probably worth the effort to see if they can stimulate sales to go in the proper direction again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Everyone on this forum, and all the other Porsche forums, that put deposits down on the 981 GT4 based on rumors while everyone else waited for dealerships and salesmen to make "informed decisions" and, in turn, ended up getting a GT4? Meanwhile those that waited fumed because "they weren't in line". Just a guess.
ya your gt4 analogy is completely false, the dealerships stated that it was a "limited run" , people that made informed decisions didn't miss out that is factually incorrect, the people that missed out are the ones that said "I'll wait for the next production year to skip any of the initial production kinks".

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
standard industry practice is to put a huge discount on your inventory when the model is being replaced.
this is borderline unethical business practice., but whatever, you live and you learn I guess. life moves on.

Thanks Porsche.
With hindsight, Porsche actually made a right call to move to 4 cylinders with turbocharger. I was the one loudly complaining and calling BS and asking why not 2.4 liter flat 6 with turbochargers. Where they possibly miscalculated was the real impact of markets where displacement plays huge role in the cost of buying and ownership. But you can bet a nice chunk of money that, if China delivered and bought 5,000+ 718s every year alone, you would not be seeing anything 6 cylinder in that car.

This to say that I do not believe that Porsche intentionally did that. I already said that it would be hugely tempting if they would release GT4 Touring Package ... and they did just that now. Now I am in for months of doing and redoing my finances to find a possible way to convince myself that I am perfectly fine if I decide to sell my 981 and get 982 GTS 4.0 - if that car turns out to be THAT MUCH better than 981 I already have. Brutal decisions are ahead for me. I really thought, back in 2016, that I bought my last fun car. I didn't really need a new headache.

Thanks, Porsche (with same sarcasm as you did, but for very different reasons)

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
ya your gt4 analogy is completely false, the dealerships stated that it was a "limited run" , people that made informed decisions didn't miss out that is factually incorrect, the people that missed out are the ones that said "I'll wait for the next production year to skip any of the initial production kinks".
And you read all the posts and threads here, and on rennlist and elsewhere where before the 981 GT4 was announced, just an Internet rumor, and people put down multiple deposits at multiple dealerships, something Porsche frowned upon, to ensure at least one dealer got an allocation. And meanwhile, those who either ignored or paid no attention to the rumors ended up crying --- oh no, I didn't get one, You read all those posts?

981 GT4 announced in March, 2015.

October 3, 2014

"Hartmut Kristen has revealed that the German manufacturer has tested a racing version of its Cayman coupe.

Kristen said that this was part of plans to produce a car below its existing range of GTE, GT3 and one-make cup racers based on the 911.

Sources suggest that such a car would be produced to fit the GT4 regulations."

"Kristen would not, however, confirm rumours that this would definitely include producing a version of the new car for GT4." ;););)

Nah, they won't confirm "rumors".

They even told the public it was coming, 5 months ahead of time. Wait for the announcement? Then those that did lost out for the first cars.

Funny, I was actually in a dealership on the day of the announcement when I watched people walk in to try to buy a GT4. And the sales personnel politely turned them away, and once gone were just laughing at them.

You think what you you want. PAG does not make "limited runs" unless they are numbered cars. GT cars are built to n-1. You sound upset you think you got the raw end of the deal here. You wanted an answer and the answer is sometimes its wise to listen to the internet rumors.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Now I am in for months of doing and redoing my finances to find a possible way to convince myself that I am perfectly fine if I decide to sell my 981 and get 982 GTS 4.0 - if that car turns out to be THAT MUCH better than 981 I already have.
That's a big "if." It's effectively the same car as the last 981 GTS, 4 years newer, with a strangled version of the GT4/Spyder engine, running on the standard 982 SPASM suspension. No GT or GT-esque bits, but likely carrying an eyebrow-raising price tag. From where I'm sitting, the best options - and the tough choice - would be to buy a now devalued 981 GT4 or a meaningfully less expensive 2.5L GTS that will be at least on par performance-wise with the 4.0.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
"rumour" since when can a consumer make an informed decision based on rumour??? hell my dealer doesn't even know if the gt4 is coming with a pdk option or not. (it's a monopoly for the dealer here, small country 1 dealer), a discount on the 2019 GTS model would have helped, but no...full price + options and now the car is outdated 9 months later.

Thanks Porsche.
I understand your frustration, sorry I did not mean that a decision was to be made on rumours either, just that the F6 was likely to become a reality based what was being seen on the net. For me that was enough to start saving for a change of cars, my wait will be nearly 3 years given current projections. I can't comment on discounts from Porsche, not something you would normally see, the last ones I have purchased were all at MSRP, no deals at all.

As for your car being outdated (if that' what you mean), I don't think it is, there are many who love the 718 with the T4, not only for it's torque but the tunability of that engine. It is my experience that a dealer will not commit to anything until Porsche themselves announce it formally, even when I asked my local team they said, we are not sure, or have nothing official, the best I could do was for them to ask me "if there is one, are you interested", definitely no tip of the hand from them, but still my answer was "yes" and so the wait began.

One thing I do know is that they are in the business to sell cars, cars change and evolve so no matter what you buy today there will be something new and different coming up, it would really tough to guarantee that you are buying the last or latest and greatest, I fell victim to this with my 2016 BGTS, I thought it was the last of the F6's, but it wasn't!

BTW, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
For Everyone
People trying to flip things is over. Porsche made it public they were tired of it. They're not handing you future free money; they're going to ensure they get that money instead. Buy a car because you love it, not because you're going to possibly make money off some enthusiast's back. The stupid pseudo-bubble has burst, which was long overdue.

For 718 GTS Owners
Your car still handles better than any 981, save for the GT4 (though aftermarket can address that). You still have a great handling car. If you bought it for the long-term, keep it and enjoy it. Your engine aftermarket will be unique.

For 718 Base and S Owners
You still have a great handling car that can handle better by rummaging through the Porsche parts bin. If you bought it for the long-term, keep it and enjoy it. Your engine aftermarket will be unique.

For All 981 Owners
Newer Porsches means newer and possibly better parts to put on your older Porsches.

For non-2.7L 981 Owners
X51 conversion is a thing, and optionally can include a new crank to increase swept capacity up to 4.0L. It's a thing, and becoming increasingly turnkey. If you're in it for the long-haul, you will have substantially more top-end, bottom-end and mid-range than the 718 GT4/Spyder if you go down this route when your engine merits that level of work.

As a 981 Spyder owner, I planned this in late 2014 when I was placing deposits.

For 2.7L 981 Owners
You still have a great handling car. If you bought it for the long-term, keep it and enjoy it. Additionally, your car will always sound zingier and sharper than any other 981 or 718. It will always be the sweetest sounding motor in the entire 981 and 718 range.

-----

Last, Porsche would never have made their money back just putting the 9A2 Evo in the GT4/Spyder. This engine was going somewhere else and they already had said that it wasn't going in the 911 due to packaging issues. As usual, Porsche does exactly as they say they will, because once they make a public statement, they expect to be held to it.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I'm not sure that this helps but the press release for the new GTS shows 0-60 at 4.5 sec and a 7800 redline. The press release for the T4 in the past showed 0-60 at 4.1 sec, however that was with PDK and SC. It would seem to me, and I'm no expert, that performance will be pretty similar.
PDK with launch would make 0.4 difference but surprising to me
Never drove a718

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,808 Posts
And you read all the posts and threads here, and on rennlist and elsewhere where before the 981 GT4 was announced, just an Internet rumor, and people put down multiple deposits at multiple dealerships, something Porsche frowned upon, to ensure at least one dealer got an allocation. And meanwhile, those who either ignored or paid no attention to the rumors ended up crying --- oh no, I didn't get one, You read all those posts?

981 GT4 announced in March, 2015.

October 3, 2014

"Hartmut Kristen has revealed that the German manufacturer has tested a racing version of its Cayman coupe.

Kristen said that this was part of plans to produce a car below its existing range of GTE, GT3 and one-make cup racers based on the 911.

Sources suggest that such a car would be produced to fit the GT4 regulations."

"Kristen would not, however, confirm rumours that this would definitely include producing a version of the new car for GT4." ;););)

Nah, they won't confirm "rumors".

They even told the public it was coming, 5 months ahead of time. Wait for the announcement? Then those that did lost out for the first cars.

Funny, I was actually in a dealership on the day of the announcement when I watched people walk in to try to buy a GT4. And the sales personnel politely turned them away, and once gone were just laughing at them.

You think what you you want. PAG does not make "limited runs" unless they are numbered cars. GT cars are built to n-1. You sound upset you think you got the raw end of the deal here. You wanted an answer and the answer is sometimes its wise to listen to the internet rumors.
Take it easy, chows. You're pouring salt on his wounds.
I, for one, managed to get a 981 GT4 by walking into the dealership the day after it was announced, and being "enlightened" to the waiting list process, even after being active on this forum since 2007. Once I found myself 10th on the list at my local dealership, I phoned my former dealership and was fortunate to obtain their second allocation. It was inconceivable to me then, as it is now, to act on internet rumors. I'm thankful that Porsche is acting to defeat this process, and promises to build as many GT cars as customers demand.
The GTS isn't even a GT car, so your GT analogy is imperfect. Porsche does have some explaining to do to justify their published rationale for only offering the 4T in the 718 in the first place, and for marketing the NA6 as a GTS after already marketing it as a 4T variant. This is highly unusual, IMO, and they could have avoided this controversy by giving it a unique model designation e.g. 718T.
In any case, there will always be something newer and "better", so I suggest enjoying the car you've got and not worrying about what might have been..We are extremely fortunate to be able to afford these luxuries in the first place.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
We are extremely fortunate to be able to afford these luxuries in the first place.
True. didn’t mean that, more a reality check. Tech changes rapidly. We should be glad Porsche reacted to complaints, like they did with the GT3 PDK and then providing the MT. 718 sales dropped 40% from 18 to 19 in the US. It could be a means to boost sales, GTS plus go back to the 6.

Whatever we buy today is obsolete tomorrow. Its just how life works and as tech advances quicker, it will get worse.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Don't remember seeing this much activity on a subject here.
The Corvette forum regularly will produces 200+ posts in a day on one subject.
I gave up trying to follow they're stuff, too much for me to keep straight
I've been thinking maybe I'd like a 718 T which is everywhere except the US or maybe a 911 T which isn't produced anymore. Now I can add this GTS 4.0 to the list.
Don't think I'd do the 991 T or GTS 4.0 not because they aren't good choices but because they're too much money.
So 718 T still in the mix for me. But even with the mess Chevrolet has made of fixing my Corvette I will probably go with the $59k 2020 C8 later in the year or a demo.
It's too great a value to go back to Porsche. First I have to get my car back and then it has to not break again.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
And not sure why this place has gone as dead as it has. Plenty of people on rennlist still...
I strongly suspect it is the new format. Lately I am spending more time on Rennlist and will likely drop P9 if I get a 992. Maybe even if I don't.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts