Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Corvette forum regularly will produces 200+ posts in a day on one subject.
It's a real looney bin over their in the C8 area...GM better get some cars to those folks before their heads explode! Been over there since 2004 and it's getting increasingly bizarre how they latch onto a relatively mundane point and beat it mercilessly into the ground. In 15 similar threads.

·
Registered
162 Posts
True. didn’t mean that, more a reality check. Tech changes rapidly. We should be glad Porsche reacted to complaints, like they did with the GT3 PDK and then providing the MT. 718 sales dropped 40% from 18 to 19 in the US. ....
Let's be real here. Sales dropped so precipitously because of the F6 rumour mill and because of the total lack of available allocations. Don't blame that on the car, blame it on Porsche.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
To get an idea of the anticipated price of the new GTS, I compared the cost of a GTS 4.0 to the 718S and the GT4 for a few Porsche regions that have the 4.0 up. The GTS is pretty much half way between the S and the GT4. This indicates that GTS prices should be about CAD $96,500 and USD $85,000 respectively.

It would appear that the turbo 4 GTS has been dropped, as it no longer appears on the sites.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
To get an idea of the anticipated price of the new GTS, I compared the cost of a GTS 4.0 to the 718S and the GT4 for a few Porsche regions that have the 4.0 up. The GTS is pretty much half way between the S and the GT4. This indicates that GTS prices should be about CAD $96,500 and USD $85,000 respectively.

It would appear that the turbo 4 GTS has been dropped, as it no longer appears on the sites.
Yes, it appears T4 GTS is history. I'm keeping an eye on used prices. If pricing comes in where you have suggested on the 4.0L GTS - and cars are easy to come by - that's gonna cause some 718 GT4 and Spyder allocations to free up.

·
Registered
281 Posts
And not sure why this place has gone as dead as it has. Plenty of people on rennlist still...
I strongly suspect it is the new format. Lately I am spending more time on Rennlist and will likely drop P9 if I get a 992. Maybe even if I don't.
I used to love this site. But I agree the new format is not friendly so I spend less time on it. With the old Planet-9 ("P9 classic"?), I relied heavily on being able to subscribe to a daily digest of all new and updated threads in certain forums, and also received individual emails with all of the new posts for each thread. It was simple and cohesive. Now I only appear to be able to subsribe to real-time updates, which floods my inbox several times a day. I'm actually less likely to click through and come visit during the day, because I know it will just generate another lame email once the next person responds. :( If the new format was supposed to drive more traffic or eyeballs, it has failed (for me).

·
Registered
162 Posts
??? I was just told that consumers do not make informed buyers decisions because of rumors. Now they do?

I see.
I did not say that nor do I agree with that. It may not affect 100% of the sales but it will affect >0% of them. Somewhere in the middle. It'll take someone else to pit a number on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,995 Posts
I did not say that nor do I agree with that. It may not affect 100% of the sales but it will affect >0% of them. Somewhere in the middle. It'll take someone else to pit a number on it.
No, you didn't. Read higher in this thread.

·
Registered
162 Posts
edit: removed comments on attribution..

Here's my view of this:
You were questioning why 2 different members would have different opinions on this subject. The reality is that 99.9% of everything here is opinion and nothing more. So, considering how many opinions are spewed daily on this forum, I'm not really sure why you'd question this particular post in the manner that you did. :confused::unsure:

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

That’s right in line with UK pricing. If and when PDK arrives, you’re close to $90k. Option it up and you’re over $100k. I’m very curious as to how they will sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I'm trying to put myself in the shoes of a 2.5T GTS owner, and how the 4.0 announcement would sit. Before ordering a 992 C4 we came VERY close to buying a 2019 Boxster GTS, and almost certainly would have had it been a 6-speed rather than PDK car. We knew that the Spyder was available and could have received an allocation, and were well aware of the 4.0 rumours. The one thing that tipped the balance in the C4's favour was AWD, as the car will be a 365 DD. If the GTS had been manual, we would have given up AWD as both my wife and I felt the Boxster GTS was THE MOST connected, visceral and balanced car we had ever driven (46 sports cars and counting, BTW). We talked extensively about whether we'd prefer a flat six, and we both came to the conclusion that if we bought the GTS 2.5L we would stop listening to Internet noise about the bad sound (ridiculous in our view; the car sounds different but awesome), and settle into a long ownership knowing we made the choice because we loved the overall dynamics of the car, and thought reverting to a likely slower (in street situations), torque-deprived flat 6 NA of any description was a step backward.

If that Boxster GTS was in our parking spot now, I wouldn't be lusting after a 4.0 in any way. In fact, I'd feel just a bit smug that with so few GTS 2.5s sold, it's now going to be a VERY rare car. Over on Rennlist the question was posed that if 5 years from now you could buy identically-equipped GTSs, one a 2.5T and one a 4.0 at the same price, which would you choose. Stupid question: they WON"T be the same price, thanks (no really...thanks) to the incessant bashing of the 2.5T here and elsewhere and the herd-mentality-driven devotion to the outdated notion that the only REAL Porsches have NA flat sixes. Total and complete bollocks. For those that don't like the sound...fine, you have a choice now, move on and stop the bleating and whining. For 2.5T (and 2.0T) owners, don't second-guess your choice. Your cars are thoroughly modern, unbelievable capable, well-engineered masterpieces of German engineering. Will there be an extra depreciation hit because off the 4.0? Maybe, but if so it will be relatively inconsequential and likely short-lived...and it's not beyond the realm of possibility that in the case of the GTS, the smart money will eventually be on the 2.5Ts.

Would I buy a 2.5T GTS over a 4.0 car? You bet. In a heartbeat. The 4.0 GTS IMO is an outdated anachronism (not in the same league as the 718 Spyder or GT4 which are truly special cars), opportunistically pushed into the marketplace by Porsche because they have reasonable expectations that they can sell a bunch of them for whatever price they ask to a handful of "purists" who wish time had stopped in 2016. OK....you got your way. Now go buy the damn things and leave 4-pot turbo owners to enjoy their marvellous cars in peace.

·
Registered
141 Posts
a handful of "purists" who wish time had stopped in 2016. OK....you got your way. Now go buy the damn things and leave 4-pot turbo owners to enjoy their marvellous cars in peace.
Thank you to all those who complained and voted with their dollars, we now have a choice, and the option to stay with the brand. The voices were clearly heard.

The " "purists" " can have their modern, responsive, inherently balanced, and great sounding 6. The cool progressive guys (or whatever they choose to call themselves) can have their beloved 4. Seems everyone wins, as it seems 4 pots will still be available in the base and S places in the lineup.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The way you present yourself on this topic allows me to conclude that you have never actually purchased an exclusive or limited edition item in your life, unless of course if it's "daddy's money". If it is then good for you, but you should keep your advice to yourself about throwing money into the rumor-mill, it just comes off as bratty and almost childlike.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Since there seemed to be so much anti-718 sentiments here I went and joined the 718 sister forum because I thought, hey the new 718 is a great car, the T4 brothers will be happy to see the new Spyder and GT4 bolster their ranks... Whoa, was I wrong!

That was just the start, then the announcement about the GTS 4.0 and it was full scale war, when ever I popped my head up and said any about the 6 without any hint of T4 bashing I was called out and even called sucker for considering it...

Are the 718 T4 owners pissed, oh yes, do they feel deceived, clearly stated many times over there, so negative about the 718 F6's that I am beginning to see that I won't be spending much time there, so I hope that the 718 posts and support take an upswing over here.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Since there seemed to be so much anti-718 sentiments here I went and joined the 718 sister forum because I thought, hey the new 718 is a great car, the T4 brothers will be happy to see the new Spyder and GT4 bolster their ranks... Whoa, was I wrong!

That was just the start, then the announcement about the GTS 4.0 and it was full scale war, when ever I popped my head up and said any about the 6 without any hint of T4 bashing I was called out and even called sucker for considering it...

Are the 718 T4 owners pissed, oh yes, do they feel deceived, clearly stated many times over there, so negative about the 718 F6's that I am beginning to see that I won't be spending much time there, so I hope that the 718 posts and support take an upswing over here.
As you know from being on these forums, nothing makes everyone happy. As a 718 GTS owner I do feel annoyed at the 4.0 but not hating it. I think that the gains from that engine are incremental at best. Maybe sound but not much performance wise. I don’t think 718 sales will suddenly skyrocket. People complained that $80k was too expensive for a 4 cylinder but the price point, even with the 6, will still be high. The thing about the 4 is that no one was paying full price. My car was great at 10% off, not sure you’ll be seeing those discounts on the 4.0 anytime soon. The 4.0 will be a nice car but it’s not a game changer. If I had it to do over, at this price point I would probably go back to a 911. I hope the people who buy them love them and I hope the 2.5 owners realize it’s not that big a deal. The resale price will rebound after an initial decline and there will be buyers for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
PCA Nat'l DE Instructor
1,808 Posts
IMO the biggest blunder Porsche made was calling the 6-cylinder Boxster/Cayman variants 718s, after their marketing explicitly tied the 718 models to their 4-cylinder race car heritage.
Had they simply called the new models Boxster/Cayman GTS, they'd have established three distinct model lines, at distinct base price points: 718, GTS, and GT (Spyder/GT4).
But they've gone and muddied the waters by producing both 4-and 6-cylinder GTS variants, and potentially alienated those who recently purchased 4-cylinder GTSs (assuming they'd have had a choice between the two).
In any case, they're all Porsches, so there's not a bad choice among them. We shouldn't be so critical of each other's decision to purchase whatever works best for them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Very true but then what would post about.... How much will love our cars and will never buy a new one for 10 years.
If the point of a 718 was a new variety smaller lighter more current car with trendy small fuel efficient turbo 4 cylinder that very mfg is doing - fine new thing 718 but agree the GT4 and Spyder should never have been called 718 because are not that. Not sure what I would call the 718 GTS that would be fine for the T4 variety but not the 4.0 . GT3 is already taken, how about GT2, no that’s done already too 982 984 help me out here gang I’m not that creative 716
I give up
How about a cool car that cost less

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
They should have just called the new ones "Boxster 6" and "Cayman 6." Traditionally, the GTS moniker indicates an option bundle, not a different model. Certainly nothing as radical as an alternative engine.

Of course their strategy is going to hack off existing customers. Some of them will go back to the 911, as we've seen here... which was Porsche's intent for the 718 program all along. Mission accomplished.

Others will switch to other marques entirely. Mission not-so-accomplished.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
I’ve done the 2nd and thinking about the 1st but probably won’t because 911’s cost too much

41 - 60 of 82 Posts