Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for the PDLS on a 718? The low beams are just a touch too low and hit the road about 15 feet before where I normally want to look.
The dealer doesn't know and will have to check with Porsche :( but I'd like to be able to do it myself.
Thanks.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I don't know about the 718 because mine is still on its way, but here is some information from the 981 shop manual:

WM 0X01IN CHECKING THE FUNCTION OF THE VEHICLE'S LIGHTS > ADJUSTING
HEADLIGHTS
Information
Read out and erase the fault memory in the automatic headlight beam adjustment (AHBA) control unit
before each adjustment of the headlights.
If the headlight was removed and installed and disassembled and assembled, the servo motors must be
calibrated before setting the headlights.
The headlights must always be set on a horizontal surface using a headlight aiming device.
Adjust the headlights with the regulator switch set to 0 (headlight levelling system)!
To ensure that the headlights are set correctly, observe the following points:
Fuel tank is full .
The tire pressure must correspond to the prescribed values .
Driver's seat occupied by one person or a weight of 75 kg .
Do not turn the steering .
Set the headlight aiming device to 10 cm/10 m (1%)!

The distance between the lower edge of the headlight and the aiming device must be as small as
possible, but must not exceed 30 cm because at greater distances, it is no longer possible to
clearly define the formation of the light/dark limit in the headlight aiming device!
In the case of Xenon headlights, the ignition must be switched off and on after the adjustment has been
made with the lights switched on.
The setting must then be checked again.
A. Height adjustment
B. Lateral adjustment
Fig 1: Adjusting Headlights (Height And Lateral)
Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Auto part

Courtesy of PORSCHE CARS NORTH AMERICA, INC.
Use a commercially available 5-mm ball-joint screwdriver (free blade length: 150 mm) to adjust the
headlights.
A. Height adjustment for left headlight
B. Lateral adjustment for left headlight
Fig 2: Adjusting Left Headlight
Diagram Line Technology Space

A. Height adjustment for right headlight
B. Lateral adjustment for right headlight
Fig 3: Adjusting Right Headlight
Line Technology Diagram Computer monitor accessory

1. Turn on the ignition, turn on dipped beam and high beam headlights.
Check the setting and make adjustments if necessary.
Adjusting:
Set the headlight aiming device to 10 cm/10 m (1 %).
With this alignment, preference must be given to the central zone around the salient point of
the light/dark limit.
First, perform the height/lateral adjustment of the dipped beam/high beam headlight.
To do this, line up the light/dark borderline running upwards at an angle on the right-hand side
with the 15° line -A- of the aiming device. Adjustment Value 0 % +/-0.2 %
Then perform the horizontal adjustment -B- of the dipped beam headlight. Adjustment Value
-1 % +/- 0.2 %
A. Lateral adjustment
B. Height adjustment
Fig 4: Headlights Adjustment Graph
Text Line Parallel Rectangle Diagram

To do this, line up the left, horizontal section of the light/dark limit (when driving on the right)
with the dotted horizontal line of the aiming device.
In the case of Xenon headlights, the ignition must be switched off and on after the adjustment
has been made with the lights switched on.
6. The setting must then be checked again.
WM 0X01IN CHECKING THE FUNCTION OF THE VEHICLE'S LIGHTS > ADJUSTING
HEADLIGHTS, USA VERSION
Vertical and horizontal adjustment must be carried out using a headlight aiming device.

It sounds like you're going to just fudge this so I think you'd be okay without their special device. I remember parking in front of a concrete wall and aiming headlights myself, this was back in the sealed beam days when there was a button in the floor board to activate high beams.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mate, it is the same on the 718.

The lead mechanic at my dealer knew how to do it and was quite happy to adjust them to my preferences.

The only tools used were a flashlight for locating the adjustment screw behind the lights, a long shank Allen key and some marks on the service bay doors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.