Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was researching whether to get the LED headlights in a 2018 Boxster and I saw two references in this forum that the LEDs are "twice as bright" as the bi-xenons. In one place the claim references a YouTube video which measures the output and finds that the LEDs can produce more lumens in low-beam mode but fewer with high beams.
LB xenon avg 1100, max 1600; led avg 1600, max 2200.
HB xenon 3800, led 3600
https://youtu.be/Bqv9GdiFQUg?t=190 should take you to the chart at 3:10 which I assume is the basis of the claim.

But two problems here. First, check my numbers, but that's not twice as bright. Second, the video is comparing 911s and the 911 LED headlight has two bulbs. 718s have one.

Does anyone have any good comparison pictures or stats for bi-xenon vs. LED?

I think I'll stay with bi-xenon (PDLS) in my build. It's already submitted, I know how great it was with my 981, and the LEDs would be more (about $1200, I think. I hear $2k more in the video but again that's the 911). Given that the 911 owners pay more for the LEDs, and they have two bulbs, makes me wonder if their lighting system is better than ours (and thus not a basis for our own buying decision).

And by the way, that was a great video. But maybe not for the 718.

Adding for text searches: Cayman, Carrera, bixenon, hid, headlamps

·
Registered
73 Posts
My guess is that "twice as bright" was a personal judgement and that they didn't do any measurements?

I'm going with Bi-Xenon myself as I can't justify the big price difference. Nick Murray's video is the primary source I'm basing my judgement off of so I'd love to hear other opinions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've never had Xenon lights before--but I continually upgraded my other cars to Cibié high wattage halogen 'cause I do appreciate good visibility at night.

The PDLS bi-xenon are FAR better than the halogen. I've heard the LED are even better but haven't seen any direct comparisons for the 718. The 911 comparison doesn't match the light I get on the Boxster, it seems much more uneven on the 911. The Boxster pattern on high seems much better than the 911 xenon.

If I did a lot of night driving (I don't) then the price difference might have made it worth while.

Greg

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with the standard bi-xenons on my 718 and they seem sufficient to me for the rare night time driving I do in that car. My new BMW 540i has the adaptive LED's and last night I drove on some dark roads and I was thoroughly impressed with how bright they were, the high beams put out light like you would expect from one of those off road light bars.

If I was driving my 718 in dark conditions on a regular basis I would recommend at least looking at the LED option. .

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just finished swapping my halogens in my 987 to LEDs and it costs $100 for the low beams and $100 for the high beams for a high quailty LED and the fogs were $25. I would just get the least expensive in your build and if you don't like them just put in some LED's yourself. How Porsche can get away with charging $2000 for headlight bulbs is obnoxious though!

I LOVE these LED's, so much brighter and the light is pure white.

Porsche HID/LED Lighting

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was researching whether to get the LED headlights in a 2018 Boxster and I saw two references in this forum that the LEDs are "twice as bright" as the bi-xenons. In one place the claim references a YouTube video which measures the output and finds that the LEDs can produce more lumens in low-beam mode but fewer with high beams.
This is part of the reason Porsche's PDLS+ LED system uses a hybrid projector/dual reflector LED unit. The projector is the primary low beam; the upper reflector assists the projector beam at higher speeds, and the lower projector is the high beam and doubles as a cornering light. The 718 PDLS+ LEDs are actually superior to the 911 units because of this.

The video is comparing 911s and the 911 LED headlight has two bulbs. 718s have one.
No, the 718 has either two or three LEDs; see above. I own a 2018 718 Cayman with the PDLS+ LEDs. They are far and away the best headlights I've ever had on a car and are well worth the extra cost, unlike some other options.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Viffermike, I don't understand what you mean.
Two or three in the 718? Depending on what?

I was going strictly by the appearance on the website.
2 in the 911
Headlamp Vehicle Automotive lighting Black Car

1 with the 718
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Headlamp Automotive lighting

I would be surprised that the headlights available for a 718 were superior to those on a 911 turbo, but you're the one with the 718 and I'm the one on the waiting list, driving a rental.
It would also be another argument for why the 911 comparison videos aren't helpful those interested in a 718.

I spoke with my dealership today and the sales manager told me that he never orders the LEDs on the 718 because of the expense so I guess it's hard for customers to see if they are worth it. I was glad to see the difference with bi-xenon the first time I drove a Boxster, it turned out to be lucky for me that it was in the fall and got dark early.

If you were closer than Texas, we could get together and take some comparison photos. It sounds like those don't exist yet.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I firmly believe that the LEDs are significantly better than xenons and are absolutely worth every penny. Once you try them you will struggle with Bi-Xenons something I experience every time I drive one of our other cars (Range Rover/Cayenne GTS). I’m not sure about the design and the number of LEDs but all I know is that thethis are exceptional. Of course this will not apply if you never or rarely drive at night.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Viffermike, I don't understand what you mean.
Two or three in the 718? Depending on what?

I was going strictly by the appearance on the website.
2 in the 911 ... 1 with the 718
Maybe this pic I whipped up just now will help clarify how the PDLS+ LED headlight on the 718 operates:

I spoke with my dealership today and the sales manager told me that he never orders the LEDs on the 718 because of the expense so I guess it's hard for customers to see if they are worth it.
That's because test drives rarely happen at night, and the average Porsche buyer doesn't give a whit about the headlights. So, the dealer splurges on what he thinks will sell the car to walk-ins: leather, Bose, Nav, etc. Typical dealer psychology. That's why research is key.

If you were closer than Texas, we could get together and take some comparison photos. It sounds like those don't exist yet.
Well, they do: you just have to hunt for them and know what to look for within the nacelle designs ... and honestly, pics can't do the PDLS+ system justice. You have to see them in action firsthand.

Reactions: MidEngine-Fan
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.