Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my 718 on Saturday. When people ask me what car I drive, I've been saying "Porsche Boxster."
Is anyone saying "718"?

It hasn't come up, but I wasn't going to specify that unless they ask, partially because I think it means less to the general public than "Boxster." Also "Porsche 718 Boxster" is getting wordy.

·
718 Enthusiast
303 Posts
I just picked up my 718 on Saturday. When people ask me what car I drive, I've been saying "Porsche Boxster."
Is anyone saying "718"?

It hasn't come up, but I wasn't going to specify that unless they ask, partially because I think it means less to the general public than "Boxster." Also "Porsche 718 Boxster" is getting wordy.
I'll be just saying "Porsche Cayman". In fact, I deleted the model designation on my build.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I say "718 S"... people don't know what that is, but it gives me a chance to educate them and tell them about all sorts of awesomeness that Porsche built into this thing. The Legend of 718 is respectful and a powerful influence in modern auto racing. I love telling the story. More importantly, I love driving this car!

·
Registered
138 Posts
It depends on the audience.

If someone is not a car person, it hardly matters. Recently a non-car acquaintance asked if it was like my other little cars? (I have three MGs and a Lotus 7). I replied, "sort of".

And some people assume it's an SUV so I simply tell them "it's a small, 2-seat sports car and does not have four-wheel drive."

Most of the above people refer to it as a "Porsh"......and I generally don't correct them.

If I'm talking to a car person (and most of my car buddies are Brit-car people), I'll say "it's the new hard-top version of the Boxter called the 718 Cayman". I have found that *everyone* seems to be more familiar with "Boxter" much more than they know "Cayman". (and the fact that "Cayman" and "Cayenne" sound similar doesn't help).

I am currently driving my Cayman home to NJ from PEC in Atlanta. Last night another hotel guest here in NC asked me if my car was the "new 718" so that was encouraging.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I also deleted the 718 designation and simply call the car a Cayman or Cayman 718.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I'll be just saying "Porsche Cayman". In fact, I deleted the model designation on my build.
Ha ha.....they will think it is an SUV. Not kiddin. Well...at least the non Porschephiles. People see Cayennes every where. Caymans - not so much.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Until there is some real external differentiation, I refer to them as Boxster and Cayman. Nobody knows, and only Porsche Marketing cares, about the 718 part. Aren't the internal numbers 982, so I doubt 718.2 and 719 will see the light of day?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Yes, it will be 982.2 and 98x
They will all be 718s....at least while they have 4cyl power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.