Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test drove an S and non-S 718 at a local dealership and found that I hated the sound of the non-S, and that the sound of the S was much better. So much so that I would consider that part of the value add of the S over the non-S. Neither vehicle had the PSE.

Since then I've been trying to find an online comparo of the sounds, to no avail so see if I was just imagining that (for want of the S lol).

I'm wondering if other folks have compared the sounds of both S and non-S and what your thoughts are?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Fliz, I test drove the S and no-S before ordering my non-S. I had read lots about the 'they sound like a VW Beetle or Subaru' however I dont feel that way. I had the sports exhaust tips fitted to mine (mainly for aesthetics) but I believe that they add to the sound experience. I have had feedback from friends (eg a Cayman R owner who said he thought it sounded great) and a Race Instructor at Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi who said he was very very surprised at how good my car sounded, and performed, on track. There has been a LOT of negative press and comment on this and other forums, a lot from people who have never driven a 718! Yes it will never have the aural experience of the flat 6, however the car is a better all rounder than the previous model, in my honest opinion. Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
In a test drive my experience was the opposite of yours. The base car sounded better than the S. I'm just wondering if the sound difference is because of the single vs dual exhaust pipe extension.

·
Registered
832 Posts
The standard and S models of the 718 have different size engines and very different turbos. So they would indeed sound different. Which one you like is a matter of taste.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I test-drove a base and S back-to-back. Neither sounded good, but I thought the base sounded less bad. To me, it had more of that classic Porsche sound -- albeit not much of it -- whereas the S had a more bass-y, "fart-y" sound that might appeal to some but not to me. Neither had PSE. I ended up with a base with PSE. It makes a decent growl but can't hold a candle to the old atmo 3.4.

Reactions: fliz

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. Great to get additional perspective. I will probably go listen one more time and then decide. I kinda hope I like the base version better too :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Just like high end loudspeakers, the best sounding is often in the ear of the listener.

Like a few others that have posted, I actually preferred the sound of the 2.0 over the 2.5.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.