Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spouse and I have been talking with SAs at several dealerships about ordering a 2018 Cayman for May 2018 delivery. Below is the proposed build (at this time). Have we missed any "must have" options?

Exterior Color Black
Leather Interior in Black, Leather Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
20" Carrera Classic Wheels OR 20” Carrera S Wheels in Platinum Satin
Manual Transmission
Premium Package Plus (Sport Seats, 14-way)
LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
Porsche Entry & Drive
Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
Light Design Package
2-Zone Automatic Climate Control
Seat Heating
Seat Ventilation
Deletion of Model Designation
Tinted Taillights
Power Folding Side Mirrors
Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Tailpipes in Black
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 16.9 gal
Lane Change Assist(LCA)
Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
Power Sport Seats(14-way) with Memory Package
Smoking Package
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Porsche Connect Plus

·
Registered
344 Posts
That build looks pretty solid to me. You picked up the two freebies which I don't believe should be missed (cargo net and smokers package to obtain the additional power outlet!).

My only thought is you may want to consider the sports plus seats to go along with your other sporty options (PASM, Chrono, and PTV).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Solid here as well. Two thoughts:
- The 'other' no-cost option to consider: Voice Control. Dealers don't push it (and it's not on the Online Configurator) because Porsche is having functionality issues with it. But by Feb-Mar 2018 when this car would be built, it very well may have it sussed.
- If you dropped anything, IMHO it should be PTV. That really won't be advantageous except in two cases: tracking the car fairly close to its limits, and in cold inclement weather -- and in the latter I would hope you wouldn't be driving the car!

This is quite close to my build except mine's PDK and I did without a few options you've included to stay at a price point. For instance, I didn't get Nav in favor of using CarPlay/Apple Maps for map guidance.

Congrats ... Mine's due by early October. That's gonna be a hard enough wait -- I can only imagine waiting almost a year!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Very comprehensive. I think that the nav and connect plus are unnecessary as with carplay and connect you have what you need. I second the re-think of PTV, but also with a manual car the sports chrono gains you very little functionally. The sports plus seats are very nice and worth the $. And full leather is the only way to go. And last (I think) I know that colors are very personal but the lines show much better in the lighter colors-think silver, etc.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Why anyone buys a sports car without some form of limited slip/torque vectoring diff is beyond me. I wouldn't even consider a build without PTV. Especially on a Cayman, it makes the turn-in that much better.

I understand the argument against sports chrono, but the rev matching in sports-plus is really neat.

Both options will help with resale of a Porsche, as well.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Why anyone buys a sports car without some form of limited slip/torque vectoring diff is beyond me.
To each their own ... but to feel any discernable difference, either by butt or by stopwatch, on an otherwise identical car with an LSD and without one, you'd need to be driving fairly close to the car's limits consistently. If you do track days, or drive mountain roads regularly at (ballpark) twice the recommended corner speeds? Absolutely include it. If not, IMHO, it's a wasted option that you'll never see or feel the benefits of ... and, really, it's even less critical in a mid-engined RWD car because of how power and inertia transfers the car around a corner.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Is there any options that build DOESN'T have? LOL. I'm more of a minimalist guy myself. The fewer options the better, as I think most of the performance options are gimmicks and wastes of money and things like LCA are more annoying than anything. I also think the 20 inch wheels will be too stiff a ride unless you live around very smooth roads.

The one thing I would add is the two-tone full leather. Looks great (I have black and tan) with great contrasting stitching.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The one thing I would add is the two-tone full leather. Looks great (I have black and tan) with great contrasting stitching.
I've got that very option & color combo spec'd on mine. Thanks for the verification of its greatness!

·
Registered
344 Posts
To each their own ... but to feel any discernable difference, either by butt or by stopwatch, on an otherwise identical car with an LSD and without one, you'd need to be driving fairly close to the car's limits consistently. If you do track days, or drive mountain roads regularly at (ballpark) twice the recommended corner speeds? Absolutely include it. If not, IMHO, it's a wasted option that you'll never see or feel the benefits of ... and, really, it's even less critical in a mid-engined RWD car because of how power and inertia transfers the car around a corner.

While I will be taking my 718 to the track, I would have to disagree that I (and others) won't benefit from the PTV on the street. I'm not sure about the "torque vectoring" power via the brakes. But, having the mechanical locking rear diff (part of PTV) will greatly aid in avoiding inside wheel spin up when applying power coming out of a switchback in the mountains. Frankly, I find it amazing that Porsche charges for a locking diff where most others provide it as it's an essential part of most modern sports cars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Looks like a great build.

I second (third? fourth?) the comment about SC not providing much with MT. I prefer rev matching myself (or trying to at least :) ).

Since your 981 has 14-way seats, if you're comfortable with them, keep them on your 718. I decided for the 18-ways, because I really like the bigger bolsters.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Sports Chrono does offer a bit more on the PDK (two biggest being launch mode and sport response). But, let's not forget that with the manual you do get more than just auto rev match. You get the mode selector on the wheel which includes sports plus (allows for more playfulness before computer nannies take over), you get the track apps, and you get the dynamic engine mounts with an even more sportier tuning of the chassis (likely the biggest expense associated with Chrono).

And, don't forget, MT buyers get the Chrono for around $600 less than PDK equipped units.

·
Registered
138 Posts
While I will be taking my 718 to the track, I would have to disagree that I (and others) won't benefit from the PTV on the street. I'm not sure about the "torque vectoring" power via the brakes. But, having the mechanical locking rear diff (part of PTV) will greatly aid in avoiding inside wheel spin up when applying power coming out of a switchback in the mountains. Frankly, I find it amazing that Porsche charges for a locking diff where most others provide it as it's an essential part of most modern sports cars.
I drove both a PTV and non-PTV car and could definitely tell a difference between the two. And I agree that it's rather laughable that Porsche forces this to be an option, especially on the S cars and above. Again, not checking this option as part of a "sporty" build is a definitely error IMO.

Sports Chrono does offer a bit more on the PDK (two biggest being launch mode and sport response). But, let's not forget that with the manual you do get more than just auto rev match. You get the mode selector on the wheel which includes sports plus (allows for more playfulness before computer nannies take over), you get the track apps, and you get the dynamic engine mounts with an even more sportier tuning of the chassis (likely the biggest expense associated with Chrono).

And, don't forget, MT buyers get the Chrono for around $600 less than PDK equipped units.
True, I forgot about the dynamic engine mounts. And you are correct on the amount of leeway the computer gives you in sports plus vs sport and standard. Again, if going for a sporty build, it's silly to leave this option off as well.

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
My spouse and I have been talking with SAs at several dealerships about ordering a 2018 Cayman for May 2018 delivery. Below is the proposed build (at this time). Have we missed any "must have" options?

Exterior Color Black
Leather Interior in Black, Leather Interior Package i.c.w. Leather Interior
20" Carrera Classic Wheels OR 20” Carrera S Wheels in Platinum Satin
Manual Transmission
Premium Package Plus (Sport Seats, 14-way)
LED Headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus
Porsche Entry & Drive
Automatically Dimming Mirrors with Integrated Rain Sensor
Light Design Package
2-Zone Automatic Climate Control
Seat Heating
Seat Ventilation
Deletion of Model Designation
Tinted Taillights
Power Folding Side Mirrors
Headlight Cleaning System Covers in Exterior Color
Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM)
Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV)
Sport Chrono Package
Sport Tailpipes in Black
Extended Range Fuel Tank, 16.9 gal
Lane Change Assist(LCA)
Heated Multifunction Steering Wheel
Power Sport Seats(14-way) with Memory Package
Smoking Package
Luggage Net in Passenger Footwell
Navigation Module for Porsche Communication Management (PCM)
BOSE® Surround Sound System
Porsche Connect Plus
I don't think you missed ANY options, really :)))

Reactions: pcscars

·
Registered
832 Posts
Love your build it is close to mine. However, IMO the LED headlights are neither attractive nor worth the money. Agree get the voice control on my 2014 I've had no problems and it is sometimes useful. I'm not sure I'd bother with the entry and drive, I like fobs and keys myself, otherwise I'm never sure if the door is locked or not. lol Keep the PTV it goes well with the Chrono and even if you don't track the car will help when you sell. Also, I have the light design package and really think it was a waist of money. They put LEDs where you use to have incandescent. The interior in black is still dark. Last advice and this is a "must have"! The rpm gauge on CS is impossible to see in the daylight due to no contrast. Pick either white, yellow or red. You will thank me for sure. Have fun!

·
Vendor
6,510 Posts
Pick either white, yellow or red. You will thank me for sure. Have fun!
Or black. Anything but terrible stock silver... Which I have :(

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You could cut out about $10k of stuff and not miss it, chiefly:

Bose
PCM
Tinted lights
PTV
Lane change assist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone. I have trouble seeing the gauges in my 981 when wearing sunglasses so I will look at gauge color options. I am torn between the Bi-Xenon and LED lights and may stay with Bi-Xenon which work fine for me in the 981 - but with age comes decreased night vision hence the consideration of LEDs. I am not a fan of entry and drive but it is cheaper to get the package that includes it than go a la carte. The lighting package is mainly to get visor lighting for the spouse. And the 18-way seats are also a review again consideration.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thanks everyone. I have trouble seeing the gauges in my 981 when wearing sunglasses so I will look at gauge color options. I am torn between the Bi-Xenon and LED lights and may stay with Bi-Xenon which work fine for me in the 981 - but with age comes decreased night vision hence the consideration of LEDs. I am not a fan of entry and drive but it is cheaper to get the package that includes it than go a la carte. The lighting package is mainly to get visor lighting for the spouse. And the 18-way seats are also a review again consideration.
LED is twice as bright

https://youtu.be/Bqv9GdiFQUg

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Or black. Anything but terrible stock silver... Which I have :(
Black instruments as an option is only made available on the 911 series. It's at zero cost option and I agree gets rid of that damn silver tach.

Neither of the 718 or the 981 have an option for black instrument dials on the S. interestingly, for the 981 GTS if you didn't spec instrument colors you got a black tach; The only way I knew you could actually get one on any model above the base

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.