Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.planet-9.com/gallery/files/3/th_225563_thumb.jpg So Porsche announces the new 718 Boxster details and our members have quite a bit to say about it! :) If you haven't visited the dedicated 718 forums yet you really should. Topics there are ranging from price guessing to exhaust sounds, to what is up with those new dash vents. As someone who has lived through multiple Porsche model launches and model refreshes for more than a decade online I would have to say that the initial 718 Boxster details have been fairly polarizing. Members have either tended to love it or hate it, with not a lot in between, although I suspect for members who don't really care one way or the other that they are much less likely to post and say just that. Despite predictions of doom and gloom from some about the 718 (I even was accused of that in my open letter to Porsche about suggestions for early 718 tests) it would seem that there is a lot to like about the new car from both a performance and efficiency standpoint.

The proof, however, is always in the drive. What does the car drive like? While some members are quick to run out to the configurator and spec out a new 718, I would advise caution in actually purchasing the car until you know it is the right car for you. I always think people should test drive a car when they can before purchasing. I know someone who recently bought a Panamera Hybrid without a test drive and is about to fly across the country and drive it back. I certainly hope it meets his expectations. Just as the 981 is different from the 987 I suspect the driving experience of the 718 is going to vary from both the 987 and the 981. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? That's really up to the individual to decide. As I mentioned, from early responses it would seem that members are currently polarized on the subject and anxious to actually see and drive the car when it becomes a reality at their local dealership.

There are even some comical threads about the 718 Boxster supposedly outperforming the 981 GT4, which I personally find very hard to believe given what the GT4 is capable of, but it seems our members will leave no stone unturned in order to do a deep dive into the new 718 model. If you haven't visited the 718 forums I highly recommend that you do so, even for just the pure entertainment value of reading some of the great topic threads being created. You can find the 718 Chat forum here: http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/

Enjoy and Stay Tuned!

(One other brief note, we will have some server down time in the next day or two as we move some systems and apps around, please bear with us and thanks in advance!)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Well put.

Note to new guys: The most important sentence is,

"The proof, however, is always in the drive. What does the car drive like? While some members are quick to run out to the configurator and spec out a new 718, I would advise caution in actually purchasing the car until you know it is the right car for you."

The 718 may seem very appealing to you, but drive the car before you sign on the line.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Agree on the test drive and btw, K-man's comments are honest. It is really hard to judge from photos and videos until we will physically see, hear, and drive the 718. from what I have read & seen, I think it still emotes passion that everybody will embrace, newbies and fanatics alike. A turbo H4 will never sound as good and durable as n/a H6, heat soak and heat induced material failure on engine components in a mid-engine layout, and the price increase are the three that discounts my vote. Good luck to future 718 owners. At the end of the day, we are all one Porsche family.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I went there. I even participated in the dash vent poll. Silliest thing I have ever seen. Dash vents. Who cares?
You need to read that thread again. A bunch of people who care posted there.

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
You need to read that thread again. A bunch of people who care posted there.
47 people hate the dash. 50 people like it or don't care. That's hardly an earth shattering count. Porsche designers wouldn't even count that as a speed bump.

A week ago if you had asked me what the shape of my vents were in my 981 I couldn't have told you. It just doesn't matter. Grossing about the shape of vents is just an excuse to find something wrong with a car that you already dislike. I hate to count the number of cars I have had in the last 50+ years but of all those cars I can't think of a single one that I bought or didn't buy because of the shape of the vent. :crazy:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
There are even some comical threads about the 718 Boxster supposedly outperforming the 981 GT4, which I personally find very hard to believe given what the GT4 is capable of...

It depends upon how you define performance. It's very unlikely that a 718S will outperform a GT4 on almost any track, but a 718S with PDK will almost certainly run a faster 1/4 mile than a GT4 at the dragstrip.

·
Administrator
34,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are even some comical threads about the 718 Boxster supposedly outperforming the 981 GT4, which I personally find very hard to believe given what the GT4 is capable of...

It depends upon how you define performance. It's very unlikely that a 718S will outperform a GT4 on almost any track, but a 718S with PDK will almost certainly run a faster 1/4 mile than a GT4 at the dragstrip.
No, because Porsche administers tests to all would-be GT4 owners and you have to be able to shift a manual faster than a PDK in order to purchase a GT4 :hilarious: See, that's why they are so hard to get, people keep failing the driving test! :)

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
No, because Porsche administers tests to all would-be GT4 owners and you have to be able to shift a manual faster than a PDK in order to purchase a GT4 :hilarious: See, that's why they are so hard to get, people keep failing the driving test! :)
I would fail the driving test. I sure can't shift a manual faster than my PDK. No way. No how. (I wasn't sure I would like PDK until I got a Cayman with PDK.) If I get a 718 I will definitely get one with PDK.
:cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts