Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've all heard or read the comparison of the new 718 mil to that of a WRX or other flat four Subaru. Sure, they're both flat fours so there's going to be similarities. And, let's not forget that a Porsche flat six is going to sound a lot like a flat six in a Subaru Outback Wagon. The "sounds like a Subaru" isn't just a comparison of the 718 to the Japanese auto maker.

All that said, we have it all wrong. I was reminded of this today as my wife and I were stopped at a winery enjoying this beautiful weather we've having on the 4th of July. (Of course, I took the very scenic way to the winery. :) ).

As we were sitting under the shade trees of the winery sipping wine and enjoying some cheese and crackers, two 356s pulled into the parking lot. One was a 356 C and the other was a gorgeous 1600 Super (drool). As we know, the 356 was Porsche's first branded car after first being made in Austria. And, it has a flat four. Porsche's first 356 was put out in 1950.

Conversely, Subaru's first production car was as Subaru 360, which was first put out in 1958. The 360 was a rear engined flat two piston motor. Subaru didn't start using a flat four until 1966, attaching it to the Subaru 1000.

In summary, the 356 was first put out by Porsche in 1950 and the first Subaru flat four was put out in 1966. So, you see, we have it all wrong. Porsches don't sound like Subarus. Subarus sounds like Porsches. :)

Here's some eye candy of my encounter today for those interested.

Cheers!

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
A base 718 Cayman is thus literally and figuratively as close as it gets to a modern version of the classic 356. Especially in some shade of red. (Yours isn't too bad either....)

·
Registered
832 Posts
Your absolutely right! This "it sounds like a Subaru" is bull. Yes, it does not sound a sweet as a flat 6. People need to get over it. It sounds like a somewhat muffled 912 or as you said 356. By somewhat muffled I mean it doesn't have the can of bolts rattle associated with air cooled cars. But to me it sounds just fine and it goes like [email protected]#!!. When I drove a 718 Boxster standard I loved it and came very close to ordering one. Enjoy you car, no regrets, no excuses!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree. I had a WRX, and even with a Stromung exhaust it did not sound like the 718; which is much more raucous and angry. My wife has already complained about the bark at start-up when I leave the house at 4:45am during the week.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know you are comparing sounds, but don't knock Subarus. My family has driven multiple Subarus beyond 250K miles. We are currently a multiple Flat Six family, with one Porsche and one Subaru. Love them both - but they don't sound or drive alike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
999 Posts
I agree. I had a WRX, and even with a Stromung exhaust it did not sound like the 718; which is much more raucous and angry. My wife has already complained about the bark at start-up when I leave the house at 4:45am during the week.
That's when you keep it in "normal" mode and slither out of the driveway like a Lexus (we'll sort of) before activating "Sport" and waking up the rest of the community. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.