Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
That’s worth getting soaked in the rain to put up the roof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: ratherBeDriving

·
Registered
195 Posts
Came here to post the same. Sounds like that will be a beast. How much after the 981 Spyder was the GT4 released last time around? May align myself with that =)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I hope it's true for the next GT4 and Spyder. That said there is nothing new or factual on the next cars in that piece or the autocar story. Both AP and Dr Walliser have been quoted previously as saying they want to keep the GT cars NA for as long as they can (except of course the GT2RS). Nothing official stated yet by PAG about future GT4 or Spyder.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
That’s worth getting soaked in the rain to put up the roof!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Sad but true, I may have to look seriously at the Spyder 'if' it actually comes out with this engine... ;)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sad but true, I may have to look seriously at the Spyder 'if' it actually comes out with this engine... ;)
Know what you mean, but I doubt I'll want to spend the money, when I've already paid for the depreciation on my Boxster. So, I'll think positively, will assume you get one, and will look forward to enjoying it vicariously through your posts! Don't forget the pics;)

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Know what you mean, but I doubt I'll want to spend the money, when I've already paid for the depreciation on my Boxster. So, I'll think positively, will assume you get one, and will look forward to enjoying it vicariously through your posts! Don't forget the pics;)
Part of me hopes that this car will become a reality, but my financial side says that I had better hope NOT because as you say the hit to move up from my BGTS will be brutal.

As for the reality part of all of this, I dropped by the dealer, they only knew what was posted on the net, nothing official, it would seem that Porsche hasn't seen fit to share anything with the sales teams... yet!?

For us mid-engine fans ;) a factory 4.0l with over 400hp in a naturally aspirated format would certainly be hard to resist!

Reactions: canux

·
Registered
503 Posts
All I really want to know is, can some of the remaining hp be tuned back? I wonder how Porsche will choose to hobble this version of the 4.0?

- Patrick

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
All I really want to know is, can some of the remaining hp be tuned back? I wonder how Porsche will choose to hobble this version of the 4.0?

- Patrick
The same way they have for 50 years (see original 911 S) -- in hardware. On modern cars, software is just an additional layer that sits on top of the hardware nerfs.

I've heard many rumblings that the 4.0L is the engine for the GT4 (and ergo, Spyder), but output may "only" be 400HP. If you want more power with reliability, you're probably looking at an entirely different valvetrain at a minimum, not to mention dealing with cooling despite the packaging constraints of the mid-engine cars. Think of the 4.0L as an "engine platform" instead of an engine. There'll be a version for the high-end mid-engine cars, a version for the GT3, and yet another version for the GT3 RS.

Though remember... If you trade in your car for the new car, just remember that 3 to 4 years later, an even more powerful one will come out. Then they'll make an even more powerful one 3 years after that.

The real game-changer for the mid-engine cars will be RWS, whenever it comes, which isn't going to be this generation as it's a big bullet point for the 911s right now.

-----

I'm still interested in seeing all the other Spyder/GT4 changes though. Upgrade parts bin isn't going to grow itself. Power? I'll just wait for engine rebuild 1 and get it then.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
I agree that the 4.0l engine is a platform, adjustable on many levels for the car it is installed into. Also that there are more powerful cars released on a regular basis...

However I don't see RWS as a game changer for this platform no matter how it is marketed for the 911, sure it adds an incremental improvement in handling but most people would not even know it is there in normal street driving. On a track and nearing 10/10ths of the cars capability it will be measurable and noticeable but not a requirement for most.

Reactions: Closertotruth

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
It is an interesting intellectual exercise to consider what features or options would make you think about an “upgrade”. I pulled the trigger on the GTS rather than the GT4 because I could never live with the giant rear wing and I’m not a track guy (though I appreciate those that are very much). Then the Spyder came out. I probably would have gotten the Spyder if I was going to do it all over again.

Porsche has gotten the message about rear wings per the GT3 touring package. Some of us just want awesome touring sports cars.

If the GT4 came out with a “touring package” I would probably get that over the convertible. Failing that I would get the Spyder. However I think I would first need to have a good long look at the interior before I decided on either. I love the interior of my car and I’m not yet sold on the 718 interior, but it is growing on me.

Westcoaster: Sounds like I’m moving your way within the next year so climate differences are also a factor in the overall decision-making process.

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
Canux, I hear you and agree with what you say about some of the aero packages that go on the cars, cetainly for the street they have no meaning at all and agree that on the track they do serve a purpose but I don't get to the track much either.

I think what resonates with me regarding the Spyder is the fact that it has the handling capabilities and power that most of us would find more than we've ever need in all but the most extreme of cases.

I chose the GTS as well over the Spyder for 2016, I have no regrets as the GTS has a wonderful interior, just about perfect, also wanted the PSM for the 20" wheels, but if they were the offer the right options on the new Spyder I could be tempted to take a hard look, the roof system is my biggest gripe on this model.

I suppose what I'm looking for is the last naturally aspirated 6 in this platform before they add turbos and electric power assist to the wheels, I thought I had that with GTS but we'll see if Porsche surprises us once again.

Out here on the west coast we have so many awesome driving days, sure we get a little bit of rain but rarely if ever snow and the variety of places to drive is just incredible and if you do wish for a convertible one day this is one of the few places in Canada that you can enjoy it pretty much all year round.

Reactions: canux

·
Registered
746 Posts
However I don't see RWS as a game changer for this platform no matter how it is marketed for the 911, sure it adds an incremental improvement in handling but most people would not even know it is there in normal street driving. On a track and nearing 10/10ths of the cars capability it will be measurable and noticeable but not a requirement for most.
I agree that RWS is not a big a factor for mid-engine vs rear-engine car. I'm more interested in shorter gearing and a multilink rear suspension. A third party has developed a multilink rear suspension for the 981 platform, so it's not a "if it's possible" question, but more of a "will Porsche allow it". I would prefer Porsche allows the GT team to almost the best GT4 they can (there's no way they would allow it to surpass the GT3), and price it accordingly. Call it a GT4RS if they want to justify the price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.