Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone here have a 718 with PASM (-10mm) and Sports Suspension (-20mm)... so overall your car is 30mm lower?

I'm in the process of speccing a new 718 GTS, and would love to see the difference with all of the above. Thank you in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone here have a 718 with PASM (-10mm) and Sports Suspension (-20mm)... so overall your car is 30mm lower?

I'm in the process of speccing a new 718 GTS, and would love to see the difference with all of the above. Thank you in advance.

Mark
I don't think that you can combine them. The way I read it, the "PASM sport suspension" option on the GTS is 20 mm lower than stock. The UK configurator isn't quite as clear about it as the Canadian version is:

Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes 'Normal' and 'Sport'; ride height is 20 mm lower (10 mm lower than 718 Cayman with optional PASM).

Reactions: RickH

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi,

Mark
It doesn't work like that. You pick 1 of 3 ride heights.

Stock (0mm drop)
PASM (10mm drop)
Sport PASM (20mm drop)

I have the Sport PASM and find it perfect. Never feels too harsh and the 20mm drop looks great. It does get pretty stiff with SPASM enabled, so I leave it off most of the time (it's a pretty noticeable difference when you toggle it on/off).

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't work like that. You pick 1 of 3 ride heights.

Stock (0mm drop)
PASM (10mm drop)
Sport PASM (20mm drop)

I have the Sport PASM and find it perfect. Never feels too harsh and the 20mm drop looks great. It does get pretty stiff with SPASM enabled, so I leave it off most of the time (it's a pretty noticeable difference when you toggle it on/off).
This might sound like a silly question, but if you have Sport PASM, can you turn the Sport off and just have PASM... and if so, is the car then only at -10mm or is it always at -20mm?

·
Registered
119 Posts
The ride height never change. It is -10mm or -20mm depending on which PASM you choose.
PASM is always active, you only switch between two settings of the dampers (to say it in simple words).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not really your question but you might want to consider where you'll be driving your car as well. My BS has only PASM and I still have to be careful on some well maintained roads. Especially like the hilly twisty stuff we have in Nor Cal.

That said, I really like the look of PASM with the 19" BS wheels. Fills the wheel wells just right for me looks-wise. And the performance is great for what I need. Seems a bit more forgiving than non-PASM in normal mode and then tightens up very noticeably in PASM mode.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Are you considering Sport PASM just for the looks or are you planning to track the car?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Are you considering Sport PASM just for the looks or are you planning to track the car?
If I was to chose Sport PASM, it would be for aesthetics only. I will not be tracking the car. I currently have a 981 S and it doesn't have PASM, so I would like my next Cayman to have it... i'm just not sure whether to go for PASM or Sports PASM.

I live in Ireland, so the roads are quote poor.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
If I was to chose Sport PASM, it would be for aesthetics only. I will not be tracking the car. I currently have a 981 S and it doesn't have PASM, so I would like my next Cayman to have it... i'm just not sure whether to go for PASM or Sports PASM.

I live in Ireland, so the roads are quote poor.
PASM is a great option. After getting it on my 981, I wouldn’t spec another new Porsche without it. It provides a much nicer ride with 19” or 20” wheels.

If the roads are poor or there are a lot of speed bumps where you live, I would strongly reconsider getting Sport PASM and stick with the stock PASM option that comes with the GTS. 10mm doesn’t sound like a huge difference but you will already be scraping the bottom front end of the car more often than you’d like with just a 10mm drop.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PASM is a great option. After getting it on my 981, I wouldn’t spec another new Porsche without it. It provides a much nicer ride with 19” or 20” wheels.

If the roads are poor or there are a lot of speed bumps where you live, I would strongly reconsider getting Sport PASM and stick with the stock PASM option that comes with the GTS. 10mm doesn’t sound like a huge difference but you will already be scraping the bottom front end of the car more often than you’d like with just a 10mm drop.
Ok great, thank you for your help.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 2017 718S Boxster 6 speed with 11k that I track a lot. Sport PASM with torque vectoring are an amazing combination (along with sport seats and exhaust) but the sport button comes off for the street. A bit rough for commuting. My "only" problem has been the loss of 3rd gear requiring a new transmission at 10k. White car with black 20s and the stance is absolutely the best at 20MM lower and clears "standard" curbs when I'm careless.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Then don't take the Sport PASM, that is by far too stiff for such bad roads. Also better stay with 19" than with 20".
19s aren’t an option on the GTS.

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
Sure they are. Just not from the factory.
If it's not available on the configurator or from the factory, it's not an option. Just because it's possible to install something after the fact doesn't make it optional equipment.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If it's not available on the configurator or from the factory, it's not an option. Just because it's possible to install something after the fact doesn't make it optional equipment.
But it IS an option. Winter tire/wheel sets are options 'from the factory', but they'll need to be installed 'after the fact'. What is the difference? That they came from Porsche -- which, I will add, has nearly all of its OEM wheels manufactured by BBS and the vast majority of which are cast (generally the weakest type of wheel construction)?

If the OP and others are serious about running 19s on a GTS -- a great idea, frankly, on a DD car of any configuration -- it can be done, and relatively easily. Porsche just doesn't enable it 'from the factory'. :: rolls eyes ::

·
Super Moderator
6,032 Posts
But it IS an option. Winter tire/wheel sets are options 'from the factory', but they'll need to be installed 'after the fact'. What is the difference? That they came from Porsche -- which, I will add, has nearly all of its OEM wheels manufactured by BBS and the vast majority of which are cast (generally the weakest type of wheel construction)?

If the OP and others are serious about running 19s on a GTS -- a great idea, frankly, on a DD car of any configuration -- it can be done, and relatively easily. Porsche just doesn't enable it 'from the factory'. :: rolls eyes ::
Nobody is saying it can’t be done - 19” wheels can be purchased as a Tequipment accessory, not as a factory installed option. Try spec’ing 19” wheels on the configurator or substituting 19” rims with winter tires for the stock 20” wheels for a discount on the MSRP. You can’t. If you order a GTS, it’s coming with 20” wheels whether you like it or not. Obviously you can do whatever you want with your car and wheels after you take delivery, but be prepared to take a loss for the privilege of doing so. Roll your eyes all you want, but 19s are not a configurable option on the GTS.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Obviously you can do whatever you want with your car and wheels after you take delivery, but be prepared to take a loss for the privilege of doing so.
How the heck do you figure that? If you're driving a GTS as a daily, value loss shouldn't be a concern ... besides: One can always keep the 20s and slap 'em back on the car before you sell it ...

Roll your eyes all you want, but 19s are not a configurable option on the GTS.
And 18s are not a configurable option on the 718 S. Why? Brake clearance. None of Porsche's OEM 18s fit over the 911.1 Turbo brakes. Does that mean you shouldn't run 18s on an S? Heck no it doesn't.

All I'm doing here is emphasizing that smart options to protect the car and make it more live-able and drive-able don't have to be OEM -- in fact, some non-OEM options are likely better than anything Porsche offers.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.