Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am new guy, trying to find out what Additional equ # 762 PAG Code- Launch code is and what it contains. Looked on the web on this forum . no answer please help me out.

Thanks Joe Parisi Salem Ma/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thanks.gif

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
When Porsche brings out a new model they usually send a bunch of cars with the same exact spec out to the dealers as demos.......these cars typically carry this 'Launch Code'.......these are the launch cars of the new models. That's all it means to my knowledge.

·
2000th Member!
197 Posts
Launch code is actually something really unique. What it is basically is when Porsche came out with the Cayman seeing how it was a brand new car and not a existing one they just changed styles on they made one launch vehicle for every Porsche dealer in the country. It is the car that every dealer puts on there showroom floor so potential buyers can see a loaded version of the Cayman. Now pros and cons to the launch vehicle is they sell forover $75,000 and the base model sells for $59,000 so they are much more expensive but depending on your dealer they may make you a deal on it to get rid of it seeing how they are very heavy into it. The typical buyer is going into the dealer looking to spend 59-65k not 75. But having a launch model is something that you can not order and you will be one out of how ever many were made for each dealer in the country so its actually really unique. I also think it will help the re-sale of vehicle down the road. When you buy the car you get a 'birth certificate' with that code listed. that proves you have one of the very first Caymans made. Pretty cool. I know thisbecause i have one.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kenny

Thank you very much for your help, you explained it very well. Somethingvery special, I will look into it.

/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/thanks.gif

Joe Parisi Salem Ma. You just have to love the ' Birth certificate '/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/dance.gif

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Kenny

There were at least 2 configurations for the PCNA owned 'launch cars' leased to Porsche dealers for the Cayman introduction. The more common configuration, in Arctic Silver, was relatively heavily optioned with a $71k msrp. The other, in Basalt Black had fewer options and carried a $67k msrp. If yours had a $75k msrp, then it's a third configuration.

The cars were floor displays & were not supposed to be available for test drives while under the PCNA leases, but some were test driven. They were sold to each dealer after launch day & many became dealer demos until sold, some at a discount. The risk of any demo is, of course, that the car may have been abused during test drives w/no way for the buyer to know.

Although those early build PCNA cars may have an interesting history, I doubt you'll find any enhanced value for resale. But, I'm sure that wasn't your intent when you bought it.

/fckeditor/editor/images/smiley/MWPX/beer2.gif

·
2000th Member!
197 Posts
Hey Dan,

Yes the one i have is the Arctic silver and it did have a $71k msrp. I added more options and that is what pushed me well past the $75k. As far as my car being used as a demo no way. I bought it with only 10 miles on the odometer and those were frommy test drive in it. Although it is plausible that some were used as demo's. I was not aware that they were offered in a 'lesser' package in the basalt black. Very interesting. And yes my intent was not the resale value but i do think having a documented launch model is something that will add an interesting aspect to these cars down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,803 Posts
Kenny

Glad to hear yours didn't spend time in demo service. Here's how the Basalt launch cars were optioned.:

·
2000th Member!
197 Posts
so basically it doesn't have the PASM, Navigation, or the Sport Chrono plus package and a few other options. I'm curious though i don't see the Launch Code listed on the window sticker. I know mine has it listed. Were you told it was a launch model or is it just not on that sticker?

·
Premium Member
509 Posts
I'm thinking about buying a 2005 Boxster (black) that has the launch code (762) on the sticker. My big concern is with this being one of the first off the assembly line am I asking for troubles? Usually cars made later in the year have most of the manufacturing kinks worked out.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
693 Posts
The 'launch code' was continued with the 981. I have #137 with the 762 code, in Pure White (paint code 0Q). Were all the 981 white? FWIW the MSRP was $98K CDN.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Launch cars are not 'heavily optioned' for what I've seen. I'd actually say they're mildly optioned. My GTS was 6 figures, and still had some options left, including PCCB. I'd call mine heavily optioned. The main problem with those cars IMO is the hassle with bugs and issues. I'd never consider one of those, but I don't care being the first kid on the block with a new car. On the contrary; usually pick the last of the generation (like my 2016), to hopefully avoid any issues, due to the hassle of having the closest dealer almost 400 miles away. A used one with all issues fixed, might not be that big of a deal. But I could bet cash money they hardly add anything to value. I laugh when people even think of such a common car ever becoming a 'classic', especially in our lifetime. I'm of the mentality to buy what you like, whether it's 1 of 1,000 or 1 of 100,000.;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Common? Looking at 70's muscle cars now considered classic I have no doubt the 981 sales numbers are low enough for it to become collectible in 40 years.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts