Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Curious if "Launch Code" is a euphemism for "Manufacturing Verification Build," or "Pilot Build" wherein at the start of a production run, the factory ordering system inputs some number of orders in various option packs and MVB products magically roll off the assembly line. That's how some "launch editions" are done in various industries.

YMMV on whether that's a good or bad thing. MVBs might be more carefully scrutinized than units built later on in that models lifecycle, to ensure that everything works as designed.

Or, they might not be carefully scrutinized early production builds... like the first batch of Gen 2 2017 Honda Ridgelines that were known to have a flawed rear wiring harness connector (which would leak water and throw the entire traction management, RWD driver proportioning, vehicle skid control, etc. systems out of whack until a dealer replaced the entire harness). Search "connector C601" on the Gen2 part of their forum if you want to see more of that.

Jan 7th Recall: Rear Harness Update/Teardown/Pictures - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

Naked Ridgeline pics pt1 - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

That's why I err on the side of safety & avoid MVB systems; usually buy second-year production vehicles (BTW, the Gen2 Ridgie is assembled in... Alabama). Too many companies these days rush production vs. getting it right before considering it launch-worthy.

My $0.02, YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 781 Cayman S in Basalt Black Metallic that has a Production date of Feb 1st, 2013, with a 762 Launch Vehicle code. It is not heavily optioned, but decent at $78,585.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Intresting thread , I have a 2012 Boxster S which was a Porsche head office car and I’ve seen it on an AutoCar review video and magazine article.I must check if European build sheets have this detail as well

·
Registered
255 Posts
Old thread I know, but...

My cayman s is a launch vehicle, my 2014. I've downloaded most of the CS launch vehicle builds from vinanalytics and I can assure you they are not all the same. I believe the 762 coded cars have higher proportion of sport chrono and PASM than non-launch CS. Probably because the dealers want to show those features so you order them.

I am the 4th owner of my car and it is rock solid. So I wouldn't consider it a "manufacturer verification build" unit.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts