Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys –

I don’t normally hang out in this forum anymore but wanted to provide you with an 8 year long term review of my 981 Boxster S including heavily documented maintenance costs etc attached. I have 64k miles on the car and just completed the 8 year scheduled maintenance at a Porsche dealership. It’s one of three cars that I own now so not really a daily driver but I drive it all the time. I picked it up in Stuttgart and completed a European Delivery in 2013. The first four years, I serviced the car at an Indy. The last four has been at a Porsche dealership. Frequency of brake replacement, tires, cost of maintenance etc are all documented in the attached.

Clutch. Still feels as good and as tight as it did the day I drove off of the factory floor. I feel no slippage at all. I know how to drive a manual though. I also always use rev matching for the down shifts too.

Mods: Only mods I installed were a smart top so that I wouldn’t have to hold the button down and I can use the remote to put the top down. I also put in clear side markers. Nothing else because it doesn’t need IMHO.

Soft top. It’s fine. Normal wear but nothing I would consider significant. I usually leave the car parked in the garage with the top down. I have estimated I operated the top 4000 to 5000 times.

Problems:
  1. Front end suspension spacer was left in after European Delivery. Dealer should have removed them after a PDI before they gave the car back over to me. Surprisingly, I didn’t notice it until a year later during an oil change. It damaged the seals on the shocks which had to be replaced under warranty.
  2. Two windshields replaced. One “OEM” by dealership and the other safelite for half the price. I didn’t notice the difference frankly.
  3. Parking brake intermittent electric failure. Just needed an adjustment for $179 at a Porsche dealership.
  4. Very slight delamination of top of doors. I don’t notice it.
  5. There are two strings on each side of the top operating mechanism that failed. These are designed to keep the top folded properly during opening. I think they only really mattered until the top became formed to the proper shape after a while. I cut them off a couple of years ago and no issue at all.
Finish. It’s garage kept. It looks great. A lot of rock chips on it but nothing that I can’t live with. No ppf installed. I use a car wash about 18 times/year. It’s a car, not a museum piece. I hand wax it once a year.

Leather. It is perfect to me. I have a few scratches (one time a deer actually jumped in my car while I was driving and kicked me in the head and the driver door trying to get out). I’m not kidding. I polish it twice a year with normal leather cleaner from Walmart. It’s held up very well. Dash, doors and thread still look great.

Carpet. It’s beige and a pain to keep clean especially behind the seats at the top. I clean the carpet once a year. It still has held up well.

Battery. I proactively replaced the battery at the 6 year point. No issue with the old one but I didn’t want to chance it. I used a non-OEM battery and did it myself for 20% of the cost at a dealership. No issue with electronics in the car at all.

Other things. I replaced the key fob battery at the six year point. Still running on the original TPMSs. Wow!

I still get looks and attention with this thing all the time. It’s constant. Maybe because it is red and everyone thinks it is a Ferrari or maybe its because I am so handsome. I am not sure which. It’s the best car I have ever owned. The most fun by a long shot. I also own a 2018 C4 which is good but not nearly as fun to drive as my Boxster. I have a 992 GT3 inbound in October and I strongly suspect, I will continue to choose the Boxster to drive on public roads over the other two 911s.

This car has provided me with so much joy and fantastic life experiences and I am grateful to have had the chance to own one. I am going to be buried in it. Not kiddin’

·
Registered
2016 Porsche Cayman
604 Posts
That's a good reliability record but hate to read two windshield replacements. Pls share your motor oil change frequency, brand & grade. Done only during service intervals?

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's a good reliability record but hate to read two windshield replacements. Pls share your motor oil change frequency, brand & grade. Done only during service intervals?
Standard recommended oil change frequency. Annually. No oil usage at all in 8 years. I didn't follow the break-in procedure either. I hammer the car all the time. I was up to 160 mph 15 minutes out of Stuttgart and had oil temp up to 246 degrees (in sport plus which maximizes cooling) on the Stelvio pass. After first oil change, I disected the filter and found nothing. No metal at all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I really appreciate the effort to share. Every forum is burdened by the weight of problem solving VS the "nobody comes to a forum if they are happy"

I suspect there are MANY Porsches that have similar records to this one.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Fantastic post, thank you so much for taking the time and sharing this. It's information like this that makes these forums valuable and interesting to me. Glad to hear that you have had such a great time / experience so far in your 981. This platform is really proving to be very well built (except for door cards and headlights) and quite reliable. And not just reliable for a German brand, reliable compared to anything built in the world. I've had mine for almost a year and I'm confident in saying it too is my favorite car that I have ever owned. Now, I don't plan to be buried in it like you, but I do plan on many more years of exhilarating motoring. Cheers and continue to enjoy your BS for many years in good health!

·
Registered
218 Posts
Great to see similar details about a 8 year old 981S, pretty much like my Boxster. 4 windshields, it was my daily for 4 years, and discovered the x73 transport rubbers on front after 8 years and 116.000 km. No issues on the hood, 1 padm mount (sport chrono) after 7 years, 1 ignition coil. a number of rotors (4), a bunch of pads (8), oil replacement every 30000 km and after 4 years every year. Repainted the front + added PPF after 4 years. ECU flashed for 102 RON, BMC airfilters, Soul Race headers. Will do a reflash on ECU this month again for CEL prevention on the headers. Great car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
323 Posts
My guards red 2013 Boxster S just passed 64K miles this month, though I'm the 2nd owner. I acquired the car January 2017 with 38K on it and have only needed the recommended maintenance done...which other than the drive belt has been DIY. Interesting to see how much the cost went up when you switched to dealer maintenance. My car has many modifications for performance and has seen a few trackdays and autocross events. Interesting you are still on your original rear brakes, though I only changed mine since we were doing the front and you don't take chances on the track.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd suggest throwing a ducktail spoiler on that auto. These provide a very sporty look and I've had several positive comments on mine. You can get these in the aftermarket and mine arrived painted in Guards red and perfectly matched my car. I installed it myself.
ducktail spoiler:1.jpeg

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
He is getting a car with aeroplane wing this October, I am pretty sure he will use that one to show off around ;)

Reactions: snakebitten
1 - 9 of 9 Posts