Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have this idea that I want to get my hands on an 80's 911 cabriolet.

Something to restore to original condition and lovingly maintain forever.

Am I an idiot?

What could this end up costing me? This is what I want, but in red. 3.2 carrera. 1984- 1989. Still doing research. Any insights would be appreciated.

It looks like a very low mileage car can be had for $25k in "like new internet condition".

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Colleague of mine has an 83 cab. The early 80s were SCs w/ the 3.0 engine and the 83/84 onward were 3.2 Carreras. Somewhere along the way (87?) the transmission was changed to the G50 which has better synchros and I think came w/ a better clutch. Also if memory serves the 3.2s has hydraulic chain tensioners which is a big improvement and is often retrofitted to earlier engines. I don't think you're crazy for wanting one of these. I loved the 87-88 Diamond Blue special edition. There are also some Turbo Look cabs that bring extra dollars. I'd try to find an 87-89 and pay a little more for a good example w/ a decent maintenance history. I'm not a fan of heavily modded cars, and if it were me I'd try to find a car as original as possible. A good rebuild on the engine is okay or a good quality re-spray, but I'd stay away from lots of non-OEM parts and shady tree repairs. These are really good cars but they need to be cared for and repairs are not cheap. The A/C is not very good as a rule. My colleague has had to replace the clutch (80K miles, he bought the car in mid 90s, not a DD), fixed the A/C several times w/o real improvement (we live in S FL), and had the top replaced. The engine has been quite reliable w/ routine maintenance. Obviously you need a PPI from a guy who knows these cars. There are lots of small issues w/ suspension bushings, steering rack,heat exchangers, oil lines, and fuel pump that need inspection if you want to avoid Mr. Big Bill visiting you 3 mos after your take delivery. Rust has not been a big problem unless the car was neglected. Excellence has a good review of the 74-89 911s (big bumper/short hood) that discusses some of these issues and offers some pricing information. Good luck and keep us posted on your quest!

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are few 87 cabs out there in the $25k range that seem really clean w/ original miles in the 75k neighborhood. Recent significant maintenance, etc.

I know I rambling...

But I am starting to like the idea of a $25k car.

In California, when you buy a $25k car instead of a $50k car you save $2500 in tax/fees the first year and soon another $1000 a year in registration. I'd rather find a good mechanic and sink the tax money into the car. Drive like Cuba, baby.

·
Registered
10 Posts
25K for a nice one (especially one with issues for you to "restore") seems very do-able. In fact for that money you should be able to get one that needs nothing at all.

Its been a while, but I had an 83sc and I think 83 was the first year of the cab in the US. The latter generation 3.0's had the upgraded tensioners as I recall. As reported AC sucks no matter what you do or how much you spend.

I would go with a post 83 (3.2) and get the stronger tranny. The trannny in the sc (917 - I think) really was a weak spot.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
25K for a nice one (especially one with issues for you to "restore") seems very do-able. In fact for that money you should be able to get one that needs nothing at all.

Its been a while, but I had an 83sc and I think 83 was the first year of the cab in the US. The latter generation 3.0's had the upgraded tensioners as I recall. As reported AC sucks no matter what you do or how much you spend.

I would go with a post 83 (3.2) and get the stronger tranny. The trannny in the sc (917 - I think) really was a weak spot.
The ones for $25k actually seem like they need no work at all, and are in amazing shape...but I am just going off of pics and descriptions.

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
If you are looking for something to sink money into, why not sink it into something that will have a return on your investment within a few years should you actually tire of the car and want something else? Be sure and drive one of these cars ,they don't drive like a Cayman that's for sure. :)

I think you ought to get an old E-type convertible Jag instead. :)

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you are looking for something to sink money into, why not sink it into something that will have a return on your investment within a few years should you actually tire of the car and want something else? Be sure and drive one of these cars ,they don't drive like a Cayman that's for sure. :)

I think you ought to get an old E-type convertible Jag instead. :)
I really don't have a choice in the matter. I am hard wired now from my formative years. I spent time in Central America...at The Palace in Hollywood...and on Sunset.

If not a cab, then a Ferrari.

The set up to this is classic. Jake, owner of "Jake"s" Palace (Actually just The Palace) challenges his friend to race to the beach just like old times..."on Sunset". Then they end up at the beach.

80s L.A. wrapped up in a nice little package. The movie is a time capsule. LOL.

Any of you kids want to know what the 80s were really like...rent the VHS tape and pour yourself a New Coke. :hilarious:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm with you on the classic 911. They were so iconic of an era (my formative era - ugh). I don't think they will ever be blue chip investment cars, but the right car, well bought (no weird colors or mods) will hold its value.

Bigger question is whale tail or not??? Now I want one! I still see the guy I sold mine to......

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Earlier than I want by a couple of years, but another example of the car in film. No tail for me.

Rob Lowe in "Class". Another oscar winner for "best movie ever".

Still my favorite shirts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'll let you wear my Member's Only jacket when you drive it.

I would also suggest that you get one with a good dash. Mine was perfect in every other way, but being a So Cal car, the sun or heat had warped the top of the dash really bad. Replacing it (not covereing it with one of the those awful plastic covers) was a total PITA. Windshield had to come out. I would gladly do a bunch or engine work not to have to go through that again.

Good luck

·
Registered
53 Posts
I felt the same way about a mid 80's 911 coupe and last spring I bought a 1985 Guards Red Carrera. I absolutely love it. In fact, to me in some ways it is more fun to drive than my Cayman S. It is more of a sports car than a luxury sports car. Not that I don't love my CS which handles better and is faster, but sometimes I just like the more "seat of the pants" feel of the older, less luxurious sports cars.

What I really want now is a 1980's vintage Guards Red Turbo Look 911. I just love the look. Any out there??

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.