Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • NOTICE - Before adding photos to posts on Planet-9, please review: Posting Photos on Planet-9

911 C4S feedback

5K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  Anand 
#1 · (Edited)
Sorry to start a new thread but I wasn't sure if anyone is reading the other thread on the 991.2 anymore.
I will be going in tomorrow to trade in my Boxster for a 911 C4S. No C4 allocations to be had even until September. So, I decided to spend the extra moolah and order the 4S. Please let me know what you think of this build? Mostly, I would like some opinion on the exterior color. Graphite blue or Night Blue. The configured car is a graphite blue. I am leaning more towards the night blue which goes better with the blue and chalk interior. And it seems more discreet. Also logo in the back or not? I am thinking not. No need to advertise what I have. I decided against the SE unless someone feels it is a must. I have it in my BS and don't like the backfiring sounds. And I don't like the center-mounted pipes in the 911. What do you guys think?

FYI, I am being offered 44k for my 13 BS, a 70k car, with 18.2k miles and the dealer agreed to a 6% discount on the C4S. They want my car now which is fine. I should have the 911 in August.

PJJUY6J9
?????????

#2 ·
Congrats on the 911! The graphite blue is cool, but I love the night blue. However, I would get Guards red!

Logo is your call, I would leave it. The only people that would understand what 911 Carrera 4S means are Porscheophiles.

Reactions: Anand
#3 ·
Thank you. GR is nice but I want something much more discreet. A dark blue is fine.
Another thing I am somewhat agonizing over whether I should stick with a manual or get the PDK. I love driving a manual but the PDK would definitely make life simpler. I know everyone has their own opinion about this and this something I need to sort out in my head. I had shoulder surgery and I may need another one in the left shoulder as well. As I get older, maybe driving a MT will lose its charm and this car I want to keep for a while.

#4 ·
Great color and spec.

I added PSE to my 2013 Carrera S last summer and in my opinion it's the best money I've spent on the car. I love the sound with the windows & sunroof open and really like being able to deactivate it and have it quiet inside the cabin on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
Congrats on the C4s! I'm with you on the Night Blue versus Graphite Blue. I find Graphite a bit washed out; not really grey, not really blue. Even without PSE the car will backfire when in Sport mode, however with Sport Chrono you will also have Normal and Sport+, where there is virtually no farting and crackling. I think the black exhaust looks option looks great on the 911. With your planned use of the C4s, PDK might be the way to go.

I think the dealer treated you fairly on the trade, and with the C4S discount, you made out pretty well.

#7 ·
Thank you. Yeah the dealer did not try to low ball me on my car and didn't negotiate the 6% off that I asked for. They will make money on both cars and I get what I want so everyone is happy. I have more or less ruled out the SE. I don't like the look and I don't care for the backfiring sounds. I heard the car without the SE and it sounds nice like a regular flat six. I don't need it louder. I haven't decided yet on MT versus PDK but since I will still have my 3 yr old Volvo SUV, I am leaning more towards the MT. It is actually a nicer unit than in my 13 BS with a lighter clutch. I will drive it some more tomorrow before making up my mind for good.

#8 ·
I went for the rear badge delete and think it's a cleaner look. DBM was on my short list before going with SB, so do like the night blue option, very classy look. I'd skip PSE as I don't like the Audi TT exhaust look and the new cars are pretty quiet compared to the NA's. if I never had traffic, MT would be a given, though PDK is pretty cool too. Keep us posted on your build.

#10 ·
+1
Once underway the airflow keeps a 911 rear window remarkably free of water (and snow and ice, for that matter).

#13 · (Edited)
Thanks folks. I bid adieu to my Boxster this morning :( and placed my order for the C4S in nightblue with the chalk interior. As per my original build.
I stuck with the MT because I still have my commuter SUV. Mostly, I wanted something fun all year around on backroads and for the commute once in a while. At most once a week if that and I only commute 3 days a week anyway. And wanted something that didn't feel like a coffin like the Boxster with the top up.

I drove the MT again on a new base Carrera this morning to make sure and it is a very nice unit. Much lighter clutch than my 13 BS and very easy shifter. Also did the model badge deletion and got the Porsche logo in body color. Did not do the SE. The car I drove had the SE and I really did not care for the backfiring sound in sport mode. It sounded obnoxious to me. Car sounded much nicer to me with it off. About 130k MSRP with 6% off and 44k for my car. I think I got a good deal on both cars.

Sad to see my Boxster go but I wasn't using it as much as I thought I would. Hope to use this car much more all year around with snows of course.

#14 · (Edited)
Crap I forgot the red seatbelts. Gotta have red seat belts. Added that as well. :)
Most money I have spent on a car actually MSRP 131k plus change but have zero regrets about it. Now for the agonizing wait. I should have my car by early August.

Anyway, this is the car I will get. Always wanted a 911 and I am very happy and fortunate to be able to do this at this stage of my life. I must fit the typical 911 buyer demographic. Middle-aged, 56 year old male (well should say person).

PJ3PVI14
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ3PVI14

#15 ·
Congrats! Sounds like a good deal! I find the 991.2 Carrera (std exhaust) much quieter than the 981 base Cayman (also standard exhaust) I previously had. The Standard exhaust on the Carrera is not bad, but I agree that the PSE may ultimately be tiresome. I'm hoping the standard exhaust sound will improve over time.

#16 · (Edited)
I spent some time going over your build.
1. MT vs PDK. Seriously consider not drinking the manual 'KoolAid'.
As you Posted, age and surgery will make the PDK a blessing. Having an MT means taking you hand off the wheel to shift, I mostly drive in AUTO on Road and Track. You can always use the paddles. I don't believe I know of ANY modern race car that still has a manual.
You also LOSE the Mode Selector mounted on the Steering Wheel if MT and SC!
You are now back to your Boxster selecting Modes.
In the center of the Model Selector is the 'Push To Pass' button. 20 seconds of full Sport Plus!
2. Colors are very personal but Guards Red seat belt?
3. Good choice on the Black speedo!
4. I have the painted rear logo.
5. I forgo the SE because I don;t like noise, you can switch to Sport for a little more noise without SE.
6. I have thw rear wper for snow and ice because I run year round with another Porsche wheel/tire set.
7. Consider Lane Change Assist, a cheap safety feature.
8. ACC besides great cruise provides Auto braking feature, I would not be without it.
9. Ditch the light design package and seat vent. Don't need them.
10. Bose is good after you set up the system correctly.
11. Heated/Multifunction wheel is just heaven!
There is some controversy on whether you specificaly have to order Voice Control going on over on RennList. I did not order anything and have voice control. some claim they don't have it. Just make sure you talk to your Sales about it.-Richard

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
Thanks Richard. Colors are personal preferences as you pointed out. Red seat belts are a must for me. They match the red brake calipers. :)
You do get the mode selector with SC and MT. I drove one with the MT and SC in sport mode. You don't get launch control. The main thing is PDK versus manual. I thought through this but I just can't generate any enthusiasm for the PDK. I was frankly bored driving it. Felt like an Audi S4. Faster of course but I didn't want to put down this kind of money for one. But I do understand your point of view and appreciate the advice. Most of my driving will be in light traffic on backroads. I have a 2015 Volvo XC60 for commuting with lane change assist adaptive cruise etc.

I wanted the C4 actually but none to be had so the C4S is my second choice. Strange isn't it?

Just to add, one of the great joys of driving my BS was snicking through the gears of that lovely gearbox on back roads. if I can't have that or be able to do that, I have realized I would rather not own a sports car.

What do the rest think? Am I being too old school and obtuse with the manual? I still have today to finalize.

#18 ·
Just to add, one of the great joys of driving my BS was snicking through the gears of that lovely gearbox on back roads. if I can't have that or be able to do that, I have realized I would rather not own a sports car.

What do the rest think? Am I being too old school and obtuse with the manual? I still have today to finalize.
I think that you have already answered the question. In your shoes, I would get the 6M too.

#20 ·
"As to MT .... famous quote from AP "PDK
is for grandmas" Not the exact quote which was more like "My grandmother can drive a PDK" or something like that when talking to Top Gear (I think) but the quote bandied about in RL.

I saw an elderly man get out of a 911 once, maybe 80 or so (a guess), It was an older car, maybe a 3.2 or SC
. Clearly it was his pride and job and I'm guessing owned all his adult life. He opened the door, put the seat forward, and took out his walker, locked the car and left.

That's when I'll buy PDK in a sports car as I consider that gentleman a better man than me."

You have obviously drunk the KoolAid!
I just can't remember any grandmas in F1 or IndyCar driver using an MT gearbox lately?

If you are stuck in the 20th Century, only use your cell to make calls and still write checks, then so be it.
Your just missing the 21st Century and allowing others to make decisions for you.
EOT. For me!-Richard

#21 ·
I asked my sales associate to add the voice control. I am not passing up on anything that is free from Porsche on a 124k car. Thanks Chows. I think MT versus PDK is just a personal preference rather than a disdain for technology. Speaking only for myself of course. But thanks guys for your advice. Much appreciated.

#23 ·
I decided to add the sport exhaust. It can't be added later because of the different bumper designs in the cars with and without. I can always leave it off. I recall in my BS, even with the SE off, the sound was deeper and nicer than the stock exhaust. The Carrera i drove had the SE and off, it sounded great.

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks Chows. I was misinformed by the sales guy. One thing he did mention was the advice they, the sales guys and gals, got from Porsche. For customers used to their NA engines, convince them to order the SE. I don't know if it a purely money thing for Porsche.

Anyway, factory order of the SE is better and cheaper than retrofit. A few things I have learnt from my Boxster experience:
a) don't skimp on options and regret later.
b) don't buy a bright colored car. Attracts too much attention. Although I love bright colors and thought of PTS, the prohibitive cost and long wait times scared me off. As well as the thought of attracting too much attention. So no bright colors or black wheels for me.
c) living where I do and that I want to drive my car all year around, forget about convertibles. Just for me of course. I can't deal with my car sitting in a garage six months of the year. Top up, a convertible is no fun. Again, just for me.

Fortunately I didn't load up my Boxster with options so ended up costing me about 26k depreciation in 4 years ownership but really less than two years of actual driving. Not such a great deal.

This 911 better last me 10 years or I am a dead man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.