Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
Need your opinion, i'm checking on a 2008 911 Carrera S with 19K miles for $54K, i also checked Cayman S 2013 and 14, around same price of 911S. if it was you which one would you buy.

·
Banned
550 Posts
I'd go with the newer car unless you just had to have a 911. The newer car will have much more modern tech and still have some warranty left (which could be extended further if you could find a CPO). The performance difference between an '08 911S and a '14 981S is likely to be pretty small as well.

FYI - there wasn't a Cayman for the 2013 model year (at least not in the US) and 2013+ cars are 981 rather than 987 (wrong forum?).

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd go with the newer car unless you just had to have a 911. The newer car will have much more modern tech and still have some warranty left (which could be extended further if you could find a CPO). The performance difference between an '08 911S and a '14 981S is likely to be pretty small as well.

FYI - there wasn't a Cayman for the 2013 model year (at least not in the US) and 2013+ cars are 981 rather than 987 (wrong forum?).

Thanks for the reply, Actually a 2015 Cayman S for $55k with 1800 miles. same price as the 2008 Carrera S. i love 911 but you are defiantly correct about the newer car

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
I agree with several posts including that of Trev450. The two models are very different driving cars - not necessarily a big difference in performance between the two. Having driven both, I like both, but prefer the Cayman for "fun driveability."
One other thing about changing technology - you can update the radio equipment (which is home to a lot of the modern technology for phones and music from mobile devices) easily if you let the dealer do it, or you get someone to do it that is familiar with the wiring of Porsche electronics. It is not cheap but the technology can be updated in older cars.
Keep shifting ....

·
Premium Member
833 Posts
Aside from the obvious differences of size, engine placement, etc, there is a big difference in the interior b/w 08 911 and 15 Cayman. I like the modern look of the newer car.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
A Cayman S under the factory warranty is the way to go for most people unless you have $10-15k set aside for non-warranty repairs that can come up in year one.
1. 911 tires cost more $
2. If the 911 is a manual, you do not know if you will need a clutch in a few thousand miles.
3. if you have any electrical issues, sound system, windows, switches, lights, etc.. you will be paying by the hour to get them repaired. If you have a PDK and the prior owner abused it, you will be unhappy when you get the repair bill.
4. 911 generally will cost more to insure (at least were I live)

If you want the used 911, I think you should make sure you have a good idea of what the carrying costs are before you sign the contract of sale. Once you do your HW on 993/911 and feel comfortable, then make sure you get the car checked out including a current overrev report so you know what you are buying.

Thanks for the reply, Actually a 2015 Cayman S for $55k with 1800 miles. same price as the 2008 Carrera S. i love 911 but you are defiantly correct about the newer car

·
Registered
206 Posts
2015 Cayman S with 1800 miles sounds for 55K sounds low. What is the story with this car? Options? History?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
As others have said drive them both. Two very different cars. I had a 08 C2S 6MT for awhile and it is a great car. I'd expect it to feel a little bit quicker than the 981 Cayman S. The C2S is a 3.8l 355bhp/ 295ftlb, about +30 vs the Cayman. With the rear weight bias it should feel quicker out of corners or in a straight line. The Cayman will feel more nimble and neutral in corners. The 08 C2S is a 997.1 and the interior will be a bit dated compared to the 981. Not suggesting it is bad but quite different. The 997 has hydraulic steering. Also it has PASM standard. Be aware that the 997.1 has the M97 motor while the 991 has the 9A1 DFI motor. Both seem to be reliable and though I hate to mention it, the M97 has an IMS. And of course for auto trans Tiptronic is the option in 08 while the 981 would be PDK. A PPI and other used car due diligence is a good idea especially for the older out of warranty 08 C2S. best of luck with the decision.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Simple rule of thumb, buy the newest Porsche you can afford........

·
Premium Member
5,834 Posts
I get a new (or new to me) car about every three years. I always go to the dealership and drive some used 911s that I can afford. Then I drive a new Cayman. So far I have come away with a Cayman. That might change the next time if I find "THE PERFECT 911" . . . but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
348 Posts
2015 Cayman S with 1800 miles sounds for 55K sounds low. What is the story with this car? Options? History?
i haven't seen a 2015 Cayman S under $64,000 in the U.S anywhere especially with 1800 miles. unless it was in a wreck.

Hell even 2014 Cayman S's are still $55-65,000

·
Registered
745 Posts
This is a tough one for me. I prefer the Cayman engine placement over the 911, but I prefer the interior, steering and overall vibe of the 987/997 series over the 981/991 series. Are these two your only option? I'd probably split the difference and find a great 987.2.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Not unsimilar to my choices (except I need a convertible).

First, tiptronic without paddle shifters is excluded. PDK is OK having but would still prefer manual because of repair (or lack thereof) opportunities.

Going from there I would look at options. Full leather can make these two really shine.

The price won't be remotely the same, long-term, especially if the 2015 is CPOed. 5 years of remaining warranty versus 0.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts