Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys Im going to be buying a new vehicle sometime next year, most likely Spring '11. I was seriously considering buying a '09 Cayman S, cert pre owned or used for around 65k, and after perusing the "used car lot" on Porsches site just came to realize there are some '04 Turbos around the same price range. I know this varies greatly from car to car with options so lets compare base to base for arguments sake.

The prospect of owning a 911 vs a cayman is enticing to say the least. And really whats 5 years? Im not interested in PDK so what new stuff would I really be missing out on thats worth mentioning?

Car is to be a daily with one or two track days down the road.

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A 2004 Turbo would be a 996, right? 996's are curious beasts and the Pariah of the Porsche family (at least among the 911's). A lot of people (not just Cayman owners) say that the Cayman is the best car in Porsche's CURRENT lineup, save maybe for the occasional GT3 (and RS). If that is true and the Cayman is indeed the best driver's Porsche out there, it is especially true against an older 911 like the 996 Turbo. Don't get me wrong, it's still a wicked fast car (I've driven it) and a great GT and I don't particularly mind the looks of it either. But it is part of an older generation of 911's and no match for the Cayman in terms of general feel. It's not so much that you'll miss out on "new" stuff, especially if we are comparing base to base; it's that the Cayman is a true and honest to God sports car, maybe one of the best ever designed and built by any car maker.

Oh, and it does handle way better on the track;)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Hi Mero,
Welcome aboard.
The 2004 turbo is a 996 (previous body style). The 997 is generally considered significantly more desirable.
As for comparing the 911 turbo (or normally aspirated) to a Cayman S - I would strongly recommend test driving both, on the same day if possible (or soon, and in similar weather), and be sure to throw it into a few curves. Of course the turbo will have a lot more torque, but the Cayman S will be significantly more nimble, and the '09 gets you the new engine with 320 hp & direct injection..
The answer for you will likely be mostly subjective & emotional - so the main thing is to pick the one that excites You the most. Good luck.

·
Registered
561 Posts
There are as many reasons for choosing a 911 Turbo over a Cayman as there are for choosing a Cayman over a 911 Turbo, but the most important reason is what is important to you. If the most important thing is lightness and handling feel, get the Cayman. If power and comfort are more important, get the Turbo. Turbos come with lots more standard features, AWD, full leather, PASM, 19" wheels, upgraded stereo, sunroof, etc etc. 996 Turbos have already taken the depreciation hit that will still happen on a newer Cayman. There are some really sweet 996 Turbos for sale in the low 40s on 6speedonline.com.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Agree with above. I love all things Porsche. Having said that the 996 is my least favorite of the line. I just think they made some serious styling blunders that seem (for the most part) to have been corrected with the 997. The interior of the 996 just doesn't say Porsche to me as the 993, 997 or even our 987s.

Then again. It is a 911 Turbo, one of the most feared beasts on the planet. Personally, I would probably go with the 987 but I can certainly see how you could be drawn to the turbo.

The good news is, unless there is something wrong with the 996, you can't go wrong.

Good luck!

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Drive both. There is no comparison when it comes to acceleration, and you can pretty easily get 550HP out of a 996TT. I decided on a new Cayman when I was looking at similarly priced 02 996TT's back in late 07.

I fell in love with the handling driving a 2.7 Cayman on tracks, and I preferred the interior styling of the 987 ( virtually identical to the 997) over the 996. Plus there was the allure of "new" and "under warranty" for me.

For what it is worth, I still am not certain I made the right choice. To me, that means there is no way you can go wrong either way. ;-)

·
Registered
280 Posts
had a 996TT before selling it for an E60M5, and then a 997C2S and finally my current Cayman.

I think the best advise is drive both, and if afterwards you're still comparing hp/tq/0-60, then get the 996TT.

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
Agree with above. I love all things Porsche. Having said that the 996 is my least favorite of the line. I just think they made some serious styling blunders that seem (for the most part) to have been corrected with the 997. The interior of the 996 just doesn't say Porsche to me as the 993, 997 or even our 987s.

Then again. It is a 911 Turbo, one of the most feared beasts on the planet. Personally, I would probably go with the 987 but I can certainly see how you could be drawn to the turbo.

The good news is, unless there is something wrong with the 996, you can't go wrong.

Good luck!
+1 what he said, cannot put it in better words. I love my 997tt but I am giddy driving my Cayman. You will get more attention in the turbo and you certainly have more space.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated. That really clears up a lot and after looking at some of the changes from 996 to 997, the 997 seems to be worth the step up in price. This seems a lot lower than what I see them listed at though. Whats a good price for an '05 997 turbo s. Somewhere around 75k? Not interested in cabriolets. Ill be hard pressed to find a local '05 turbo to test drive, though. Im already waiting until April to test drive a cayman s up here in Minneapolis. GO VIKES!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Turbos come with lots more standard features, AWD, full leather, PASM, 19" wheels, upgraded stereo, sunroof, etc etc. 996 Turbos have already taken the depreciation hit that will still happen on a newer Cayman. There are some really sweet 996 Turbos for sale in the low 40s on 6speedonline.com.
The biggest OEM wheels available on a 996 Turbo are 18".

996's (I have one) do not handle well with 19"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts