Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
34,450 Posts
This is dated but it provides a balanced comparison between a 911 and Cayman:

Porsche 911 VS. Porsche Cayman - YouTube
I don't think this video breaks any new ground though and seriously interviewing someone who makes a living servicing 911's and asking him which one he prefers, duh, what do you think he's going to say?

As I said, nothing new here, we all know the Cayman is a superior platform, but that Porsche marketing and history will always favor the 911.

What Porsche has NO EXCUSE for is holding onto the idea that if they make a better Cayman that somehow 911 sales will tank. Look at your own numbers Porsche, IT DOESN'T MATTER. Porsche sells so many Panamera's, Cayenne's and soon Macans that the 911 in total is a small blip on the radar of overall sales. It's not 1990 anymore where canabalized 911 sales would spell the end of the company. Porsche could stop making the 911 altogether tomorrow and the company would still turn a profit.

Let's say an uber-Cayman takes away 5% of 911 sales. First off, you are keeping people in the Porsche family with the uber-Cayman, that's probably 4% of that missing 5% of 911 sales right there. Now you have to make up 1% of 911 sales by selling an extra Cayenne or Panamera. Porsche has already done this with their growth in sales rates for the last 3 years running.

Unleashing the Cayman is LONG overdue and there is really no sound financial argument against it. We should start a petition! :)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
newer 911 Turbo S vs 07 Cayman S from 80 to 130(ish)

Feels like the cayman S is standing still...

·
Registered
668 Posts
With the new 911 clearly crossing into the GT Category the only true sports cars manufactured by Porsche are the Cayman, Boxster and 918. Not that there's anything wrong with a GT Car, I'm a big fan of the 911 in its current and previous iterations.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts