Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am usually on the Cayman forum but my wife and I were in San Francisco for a few days and before heading to the wine country we walked to a coin laundrymat a few blocks inland from Fisherman's Warf. I was reading a magazine but thought I heard the sweet sound of a Pcar and looked outside and a man was parking his 912 next to the hydrant.
I saw him grab some groceries and walk across the street. He left the passenger side door open so I assumed he lived nearby.
I went outside and took the pics with my cell phone. The car was dotted with rust and signs of longevity, but looked like a loved car :)
It was quite a while before he returned. I asked about his car and he said it was approaching 400,000 miles and still ran like a top. I didn't get his name before he walked back to his home with another load of groceries and the next time I looked outside the laundrymat he was starting his car and driving off.
Just passing along the encounter. image.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: hideyau

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I will also add that I am not that familiar with San Francisco but this was near Chinatown and a block from the SS Peter and Paul Catholic Church. I could tell the owner lived nearby because there was no parking available on the street so it appeared he felt at home parking in front of the hydrant.
Also interesting is that just beyond the frame of the photograph that looks at the front end of the 912, is a fire station. No sooner did he leave than a firetruck pulled up and backed into its stall.
OC

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Not surprised at the amount of deterioration as The City is tough on cars that are continually exposed to salt in the air from the Bay. There are few garages there and if one is lucky enough to find one to rent it is a king's ransom. Parking is also an issue and had a meter maid caught his car parked there it would have been a hefty fine. Nice restorable though and the mileage is not unreasonable for those motors.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not surprised at the amount of deterioration as The City is tough on cars that are continually exposed to salt in the air from the Bay. There are few garages there and if one is lucky enough to find one to rent it is a king's ransom. Parking is also an issue and had a meter maid caught his car parked there it would have been a hefty fine. Nice restorable though and the mileage is not unreasonable for those motors.
I seem to recall that Porsche tried some "anti-rust" techniques back in the 912 era that didn't work at all. Granted the salt air and ocean fog conditions are bound to affect the bodies exposed to the elements but failed rust techniques didn't help.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
I will also add that I am not that familiar with San Francisco but this was near Chinatown and a block from the SS Peter and Paul Catholic Church. I could tell the owner lived nearby because there was no parking available on the street so it appeared he felt at home parking in front of the hydrant.
Also interesting is that just beyond the frame of the photograph that looks at the front end of the 912, is a fire station. No sooner did he leave than a firetruck pulled up and backed into its stall.
OC
Unfortunately, this picture just adds to the stereotype that Porsche owners are ... (you can fill-in a noun here).

·
Registered
625 Posts
Unfortunately, this picture just adds to the stereotype that Porsche owners are ... (you can fill-in a noun here).
In this case, it's more of a San Francisco thing than a Porsche thing and the locals would think so. If you have to park one or two or three blocks from your house and you have 2 or 3 loads of groceries in the car, you would have to make 2 or 3 2-block round trips to get your groceries in. Or you could park illegally for a few minutes - long enough to get your groceries in - and leave the door open to signal that you're not far from the car. Or, you can try to figure out how to carry 3 or 4 loads of groceries on the Muni bus. Or take cab that would have to park illegally while you unload groceries.

But, probably not too good for the owner that you posted a picture of him illegally parked with the license number clearly visible.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Porsche began using galvanized metals in 1970 and more completely around 1976. Galvanized metals contain zinc, which when exposed to salt start electrolysis which begins to break down areas on the galvanized metals and cause rust. Galvanized metals in dry climates, such as Arizona, worked fine. If San Francisco had a dry climate, without salt in the air, the process would prevent rust just like in Arizona.
I seem to recall that Porsche tried some "anti-rust" techniques back in the 912 era that didn't work at all. Granted the salt air and ocean fog conditions are bound to affect the bodies exposed to the elements but failed rust techniques didn't help.

·
Registered
432 Posts
In this case, it's more of a San Francisco thing than a Porsche thing and the locals would think so.
I lived in San Francisco for four years and my impression of the locals was, if they were doing it, it was reasonable, not bothering anyone, and totally okay and you were a dirt bag for mentioning it.

If on the other hand you were doing it, they couldn't believe your gall, they would let you know it bothered them instantly and expected you to expedite fixing what was now to them an inconvenience.

Basically, if its me, let me be, if it's you, it's about me.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In this case, it's more of a San Francisco thing than a Porsche thing and the locals would think so. If you have to park one or two or three blocks from your house and you have 2 or 3 loads of groceries in the car, you would have to make 2 or 3 2-block round trips to get your groceries in. Or you could park illegally for a few minutes - long enough to get your groceries in - and leave the door open to signal that you're not far from the car. Or, you can try to figure out how to carry 3 or 4 loads of groceries on the Muni bus. Or take cab that would have to park illegally while you unload groceries.

But, probably not too good for the owner that you posted a picture of him illegally parked with the license number clearly visible.
From the way he parked the 912 and non-chalalantly went about his trips to his home with the groceries, I too think is was a SF thing. There were plenty of people walking and driving by and while several walkers stopped and looked at the car, not one seemed concerned at all about the parking near the hydrant. He was very pleasant in our brief conversation and in the two blocks visible there was not one garage. Drivers were zipping in and out of parking spots the whole time we were using the laundrymat. (There was a very crowded Italian restaurant down the block with a long line of people outside on the sidewalk.)

On the photo with the license plate showing, I photoshopped that plate into the image to throw off the meter maids :crazy:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts