Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was talking to a guy today, at a Porsche speed shop, who is cutting up new, 981 Boxsters and adding Front, rear and various other bits to make (what he claims) as an amazing look-alike 918 Spyder (I didn't see the pictures). He said he has already done 3 or 4 and has orders for several others. He hopes to do 10.

Here's the catch - the conversion charge is 150k........in addition to the donor car..........

Any takers???

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
errrr..... NO!

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
No pics??? :D

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
The only pics on I saw on that site were of a real 918, not a Boxster that has been converted to a 918. It's probably like those Boxster to Carrera GT conversion kits, the dimensions aren't the same so when you see them in person it just doesn't look right, even though some certain photo angles can look like the real thing it all falls apart in person. I don't know why someone would pay $150K for a fake car.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
WW has played with electric superchargers, so he has experience using aftermarket electrons to (not) go faster.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
You getting excited about this, Weasel? If we lift the hood of your GTS are we going to find a GM 2.4L LD9 where a frunk should be? Hmmmm????
Not excited about it. Just want to see pics to get an idea of just how ridiculous they're turning out. :D There was discussion about this a while back (pretty sure it was here, though maybe Jalopnik?) and, like Ken, I only ever saw pics of actual 918's. Since the OP seems to be near the actual shop where they're supposedly doing this, I thought some actual pics would be at the very least intriguing and, at best, completely hilarious. :D

WW has played with electric superchargers, so he has experience using aftermarket electrons to (not) go faster.
LOL. You tease... but I DID make very real power with the thing, believe it or not. :D Did you read my whole write-up or just the few comments I've made here? :D

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Not excited about it. Just want to see pics to get an idea of just how ridiculous they're turning out. :D There was discussion about this a while back (pretty sure it was here, though maybe Jalopnik?) and, like Ken, I only ever saw pics of actual 918's. Since the OP seems to be near the actual shop where they're supposedly doing this, I thought some actual pics would be at the very least intriguing and, at best, completely hilarious. :D

LOL. You tease... but I DID make very real power with the thing, believe it or not. :D Did you read my whole write-up or just the few comments I've made here? :D
I read it, but a while ago. I thought you decided they were junk, maybe there was one that worked?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Thanks for the refresh. How soon will you put one on the GTS? :burnout:
Lol. I imagine I'd need two... And 4 batteries to run them. Where would I put all that? Heck, I have yet to even see my engine. My car may well run on witchcraft and noise!! :D

Nah... In it's current state, they're really only suited to smaller engines up to 200 HP or so. Beyond that it's probably not going to push enough air to be worth the effort. You never know what the future might hold though. If he made a 36 v system and it could still spin up as fast, it might be a hoot if you could find a place to put it! Especially for the 2.7L cars. I wouldn't hold your breath though. So far as I know he's selling them as fast as he can make them to the FRS/BRZ and Miata folks.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Lol. I imagine I'd need two... And 4 batteries to run them. Where would I put all that? Heck, I have yet to even see my engine. My car may well run on witchcraft and noise!! :D

Nah... In it's current state, they're really only suited to smaller engines up to 200 HP or so. Beyond that it's probably not going to push enough air to be worth the effort. You never know what the future might hold though. If he made a 36 v system and it could still spin up as fast, it might be a hoot if you could find a place to put it! Especially for the 2.7L cars. I wouldn't hold your breath though. So far as I know he's selling them as fast as he can make them to the FRS/BRZ and Miata folks.
Good points. But there is a big empty space under the rear deck lid. You could fit lots of batteries in there. ;)

Reactions: Wild Weasel

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
You can see clearly the front bumper took a hit. The repair job is terrible and kept it unbalanced with the frunk.

Generally it looks good for a replica. But for 150k + 981 car, that's absurd.

·
Registered
757 Posts
That is hilarious
Ultimate Posers Car!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts