Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Depends on how much maintenance it needs. I would do some research on common 944 problem areas before I bought. Excellence Magazine is one publication that has run an issue with info on 944 problem areas. Otherwise you may spend more on fixing the car than it cost. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on how much maintenance it needs. I would do some research on common 944 problem areas before I bought. Excellence Magazine is one publication that has run an issue with info on 944 problem areas. Otherwise you may spend more on fixing the car than it cost. Good Luck.
Thanks that will definately go into consideration. I'm also looking into a few other cars but this will also help me with looking into those cars. Also this would be my real first car that I bought so any tips to help me since I'm a first time buyer.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if you have gone ahead and gotten a car yet but here’s my 2 cents

When I turned 16 I decided it would be a good idea to buy a 944 S2. It was a nice car but I spent every single day I owned it working on it. The S2 was the 3.0l version of the 944 and it was a beast as 4 cylinders go. It was like having a turbo without the lag. It had a great torque curve and was very smooth to drive. The biggest down side was it had oil in the coolant. This was not due to the head gasket as many may think. Rather when the engine was build the connecting hole for the oil cooler was drilled to deep. Oil went through at 15pis where coolant was at 3psi. this cause the lovely milky mixture that many attribute to the head gasket. This was a service bulletin that I found barred in the interwebs and once fixed I didn’t worry about it again. Never had cooling issues or anything of that sort but there where little things that would break here and there. In 3 years I owned it I only put 10k miles on it because it was down for stuff all the time and I didn’t always have money to fix it as parts where not cheap and sometimes hard to come by. I don’t want to scare you away from this car just be ready to work on it and don’t pay too much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts