Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spirited driving up to Big Big Bear yesterday and I blew a PDCC line. Called AAA at 3:30pm and got back home at 9:30pm. The tow was 86 miles. What a day.

Will be looking under the car today to see what line it was and am guessing it's the one of the ones with the rubber bushings on it to prevent them from rubbing against each other. Will update as soon as I return from the Saturday Porsche drive.

Don't mind the ride height, the car was started when it went up the on to the carrier and turned off before the carrier went to the level position.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky

Big Bear yesterday was amazing.

Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Mountain

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well took the belly pan off and it's the green steel braided line that runs to the canister on the sway bar. New one is about $80. hose is in Germany so it's gonna take 4 to 5 weeks, Car will sit for the time being.

I made a video but this site won't accept it as it's too large.

· Registered
18 Posts
Well took the belly pan off and it's the green steel braided line that runs to the canister on the sway bar. New one is about $80. hose is in Germany so it's gonna take 4 to 5 weeks, Car will sit for the time being.

I made a video but this site won't accept it as it's too large.
Oh man. 4-5 weeks! Sorry to hear that.

Would the site accept a YT link for the vid?

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Can you have one made at the hose man? Even if you use it as a temp fix? I imagine it's the high pressure side if it's steel braided. Any pictures?

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Cool... I'm I'm interested in how the ends of the hoses attach to the car. Are they AN type fittings? No type of sealant to attach?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good morning , well got a line built by Hoseman and it’s in the car. Will be bleeding the system this am and hopefully everything goes back to working normal.
Here are some pictures of the new line on the car.
One note, make sure to mark the position of the line when you remove it if you are replacing with the same line. I think they developed bends in them that shouldn’t be disturbed. I used a new line but came to that realization when I had to turn the hose to have it curve in the correct direction.

Mammal Style Font Parallel Pattern
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exhaust

Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exhaust Bumper Hood

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Will you write down the steps? Maybe we should start a new thread about some of these procedures the Launch can do? I have one on how to check the oil level.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
YOU JINXED ME! My hose blew yesterday. I take so much pride in keeping my engine and car clean and it was a big oily mess. Not to mention the nice racing stripe of Pentosin in the middle of my driveway right out into the street.
Automotive tire Wood Bicycle fork Bicycle part Rim
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Synthetic rubber Auto part Tread

Mine was the opposite hose from the one you blew. Now I wish I would have replaced both of them while I was in there... They must have updated the hoses. Here is the new one.
Wood Tool Composite material Font Auto part

Much better design. I have worked on race cars and airplanes and I have never seen a steel braided hose break right in the middle. Especially when it wasn't rubbing on anything. I've seen them fail at the fitting but never in the middle. Thank God I didn't burn up the pump. That's a $1400 part. But even worse is have you seen where the pump is? I couldn't imagine the nightmare of replacing it.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
I'm beginning to think so. Ed and I have had two different hoses fail in the last couple weeks. And they have changed the design of the hose. We are both at the 10 year mark. His is a 2011 and mine is a 2012. The hoses are not very expensive. $75 each from Porsche Marin.

I bought my hose locally. It took my dealer 2 hours to get it from the warehouse. I got lucky. Ed had his made by "the hose man".

The problem is that there is no warning when it fails. Ed got the error message and pulled over and towed his home. My wife got the message and drove another 15 miles home and my rezzy was dry.

When she pulled in the driveway oil was friggin everywhere. Fearing the worst I refilled the rezzy and found the leak. We had to move cars around to get the cayenne to the work area. By the time she backed the car down the driveway into the street and back up to the work area the rezzy was dry again.

I thought for sure she cooked the pump. I went ahead and made the repair and bled the system and to my surprise the pump lived. Each time the rezzy was empty I looked inside it and did not see any metal or foreign material. And no loud noises from the pump. I'm sure we cooked half the life out of the pump but right now we are ok.

I'm just glad we were not on a road trip because when it fails you are dead in the water.

Also, the pump is a two stage pump. The pdcc shares the same pump as the power steering. Two separate pumps/circuits on one common shaft so if you burn up one half of the pump, the other pump goes with it.

Then, the nightmare begins... What damage has it done to the other system? Remember, it's power steering AND pdcc. Did it contaminate the other system? Luckily I didn't have to find out.

Have you seen the power steering /pdcc pump? Probably not because it is above the a/c pump. So you would have to work thru the driver side fender well. And that is where the intercooler and turbo and all the plumbing lives. It would definitely suck.

· Registered
55 Posts
Thank you! Will try to source them.
I showed my buddy (Who works on our cars) and he was shocked. He said the samething....how can a braided hose leak from the middle.
If we dont have a launch X how would we bleed the system?
Any part number or link where we can buy them from?

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The hose does rub on things that they are near as the hoses are not a static part. They move around a lot when the car is doing it's thing in the twists. Yours had to be rubbing on something either when it blew or something in the past.

I think it's a good thing to inspect them at 80k miles and if your up for it, replace them as they are cheap.

Doug how was the bleed process. Looks like you were outside the car when it was doing its mojo. I was sitting inside and it was a wild ride. How much time did you set on the launch. I did 10 seconds per side.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Yes, 10 seconds front and 10 seconds back. I raised the car to the highest setting and crawled under during one of the tests. Yes the lines do move but very little and don't rub on anything. At least mine didn't. And where my hose failed there was nothing for it to rub on. I have to take the skid plate off in the next couple of days to check for leaks. I will crawl under there again and get a video of the lines during the test. I believe that the test maxes out the articulation of the sway bars. Way more than they would see during normal street use.

· Premium Member
130 Posts
Thank you! Will try to source them.
I showed my buddy (Who works on our cars) and he was shocked. He said the samething....how can a braided hose leak from the middle.
If we dont have a launch X how would we bleed the system?
Any part number or link where we can buy them from?
I'm not sure you could completely bleed the system without using some kind of computer tool. I don't think you could get the sway bars to articulate under normal street use unless you took it on a race track of some sort.

· Registered
42 Posts
Have you seen the power steering /pdcc pump? Probably not because it is above the a/c pump. So you would have to work thru the driver side fender well. And that is where the intercooler and turbo and all the plumbing lives. It would definitely suck.
Just replaced the pump.
I don't ever want to do that again. Complete misery, and it seems every effort was made to make it so.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.