Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
My thoughts are this is a bottom-scraping blog site ripping off unsubstantiated rumors from a third-tier, washed up print rag. Until a senior exec from Porsche goes on the record saying they are abandoning the 986/987/981 naming convention for the next gen Boxster/Cayman I call BS.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
986/987/981 naming convention
Umm... what is this convention you're referring to? Just the fact that they start with 98? Because other than that, it's a bunch of gibberish like most of the internal numbers Porsche gives their models. They seem to make some sort of sense... until suddenly they don't for no apparent reason. :)

Now... it would seem really strange to change it from 981 to 718 for a refresh... but if the next gen came out in a few years and was called 718... well... that would make just as much sense as many of the other designations they've come out with.

So long as it still says Boxster/Cayman on the back... who cares? They could call the next 911 the 294 for all I care. It'll still say 911 on the back and will still be a 911.

Right? :D

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Gcurnew is correct. Stop paying attention to a bunch of words written on some blog meant to get you to click on it. Why does everyone love repeating the words on all these blogs?

Why would anyone care what its called? A rose by any other name ... and all that

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
Umm... what is this convention you're referring to? Just the fact that they start with 98? Because other than that, it's a bunch of gibberish like most of the internal numbers Porsche gives their models. They seem to make some sort of sense... until suddenly they don't for no apparent reason. :)

Now... it would seem really strange to change it from 981 to 718 for a refresh... but if the next gen came out in a few years and was called 718... well... that would make just as much sense as many of the other designations they've come out with.

So long as it still says Boxster/Cayman on the back... who cares? They could call the next 911 the 294 for all I care. It'll still say 911 on the back and will still be a 911.
S
Right? :D
All internal production model codes have been 9xx since the 356. The recent passenger sports car naming convention has been 986/996, 987/997, 981/991. I highly doubt Porsche would abandon that without good reason, i.e. the platforms are diverging. The internal codes are a big part of the brand identity, especially to long-time Porsche aficionados. Using 718 (or other non-9xx) codes would signal a dramatic change in direction and would, in my view, be quite significant.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The 718 was a concept which would be a completely new entry model below the Boxster/Cayman. However, Porsche just announced that the project was cancelled. Much ado about nothing.

Reactions: Kaxon

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
True that Porsche announced the 718 project is dead...now Automobile mag and others are propagating the unsubstantiated rumor the 981.2 will be renamed 718. Like their urban myth cousins, unsubstantiated rumors are the fuel for Internet bottom feeders.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
This reminds me of the commercial from a year or so back.............if you read it on the internet it must be true :). I just read a good treatment of the reason(s) Porsche will likely not do a lower cost model. I will have to double check......it was either in Panorama or Excellence. The logic was at least sound based on Porsche patterns and history.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I agree with chows4us and gcurnew regarding the internet "rags", however there is some evidence that Porsche execs have explored this approach.

Putting the internet rumors aside (and subsequent lack of credibility), I think any initiative to rename the Boxsters and Caymans to the 718 is brilliant. Actually I really think the decision to name them the Boxster and Cayman was not a good idea in the first place and now Porsche has to rectify their mistake.

Let me explain (and I recognize I may be in the minority):

First and most importantly, as gcurnew pointed out, all the Porsche sports cars since the 356 were named a 9X....except for the Caymans and Boxsters. Nobody except for a few of us insiders know it is the 986/987/981. A non 9X designation perpetuates the myth with some that these cars are not "real Porsches". Compounding this perception is that the other Porsche cars such as the Cayenne, Macan, and Panameras are not number named either (in the public eye anyway). So our cars get lumped into the same category as the other "non-Porsche" cars. It's not a "real Porsche". This is why many folks remove the Boxster/Cayman script from their boots and IMHO Planet-9 refers to our cars as the 986/987/981 in their forums etc. Just my opinion here.

Second, the 718 was a real racing sports car with heritage - albeit short lived. This would add credibility.

Third, the next generation Boxster/Caymans will be turbos and eventually hybrid. It makes sense at this point for Porsche to at least consider renaming these cars and keeping the sports cars number named and everything else an actual name like a Macan.

Fourth -- The name does matter....to some. When you hear the word Corvette or 911, your mind creates a vision of what that means.....good or bad. That's why the second point above matters. When some hear the word Boxster, they think....oh...not a real Porsche, couldn't afford a 911? Or Cayman, oh you got the SUV?

Just my thoughts and I know I laid out some generalizations up there....^^ :cheers:

·
Registered
746 Posts
Planet-7? Carrera, Cayenne, Cayman, they should just stick to C names. Cajun would have been better than Macan :dance:

Reactions: HassaanAbdeen

·
Registered
111 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
As per Worldcarfans the next gen cayman/boxster to be named 718 and cost "significantly less" due to 4 cylinder turbos ...

Next-gen Boxster and Cayman to be renamed Porsche 718
Next Porsche Boxster/Cayman Could be Rechristened 718 –Â*News –Â*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

The skeptics here can feel free to add car and driver to their list of "bottom scraping blogs" and "bottom feeders". Granted this is still far from official, the rumor has enough veracity to make it to C&D as well as Automobile. World Car Fans while certainly not on the same tier, I think is pretty unfair to be labeled as such.
Read the references. C&D got no new information. They ALL recycle one story. There is no original reporting here.

From the first reference: "Source: automobilemag.com"

From the second reference (C&D): "We’re talking about rumors recently reported in Automobile Magazine"

Amazing huh? same source. And that's the problem. All these internet blogs just repeat the same thing over and over and over again and every time they do, someone else repeats and thinks it new. Both worldcarfans and C&D did not come up with the original report. Georg Kacher said this. So what is his source? Hmm, he doesn't say.

But its on the Internet so it must be true. Sigh ...

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I have a very hard time getting past a turbo engine (regardless of number of cylinders) with MORE HP and a lower price. That just doesn't seem to have been in Porsche's DNA. But then, I guess anything is possible.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
We all have known for some time that the next iteration of the what is now the 981 will include a 4-banger turbo. This HAS been confirmed by Müller.

As best I can tell, this leaves 4 questions:

Will they rename it?

Will they lower the price?

Will they still offer a top-of-the-line 6-cylinder?

If the highest horsepower 4-cylinder turbo exceeds 350 hp, what will that mean for the various 911s, as presumably they'll have to get the base 911 above that figure?

My interest regards the car--not the name. Here in the U.S., after the 11th of Sept. of 2001, 911 was no longer a particularly attractive name for anything except perhaps a terrorist. Virtually none of us cared when it came to the sports car. The 911 was still the same car. I accept that marketing affects sales, but I'm not much concerned how many cars they sell or what they're called. On the other hand, I'm not excited about losing 2 cylinders resulting in better torque perhaps, but a sound so awful as to require the pumping of phoney car noise through the radio speakers as so many cars (e.g. BMW) have felt forced to do.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
I have a very hard time getting past a turbo engine (regardless of number of cylinders) with MORE HP and a lower price. That just doesn't seem to have been in Porsche's DNA. But then, I guess anything is possible.
Neither was the Cayenne, Macan, or the Panamera. Heck, look at their LMP1 car - a V4 turbo with a hybrid engine. How far could they possibly have gotten away from their DNA on that one.

Turbos are coming to our sports cars....and so are the hybrids.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
In some sense, Porsche is smart in cultivating a new generation of buyers -- ones that would not be put off by fewer cylinders and forced induction. As mentioned, it is the wave of the next generation of autos. Since today is my 67th birthday, I'm been in reflection and find myself understanding that I'm in the last generation that grew "UP" with the F6 as the power plant of choice -- and desire.

Calling the next generation a new number series sort of fits that generational change. Lets not lament that change because it is meant for the next generation of buyers -- though I have to say I'm glad to have placed my order for a 981- C-GTS before the change comes. Because, after all, I am of "that" generation.
Donnie C

1 - 20 of 61 Posts