Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually a battery question...

How long will your 981 sit in traffic with the engine auto-stopped, dipped beam on - before it decides enough is enough and restarts the car to protect the battery state?

My new-to-me 2013 bs 981 Boxster is still on the original battery but despite starting ok, it seems to be struggling for capacity...

One telltale for me is the start/stop - with dipped beam on, no AC or heated anything active, the start/stop will activate but then the reported voltage will rapidly drop. After c. 30 seconds (which isn’t much when waiting for traffic lights), the voltage will dip below 12.0V at which point the start/stop auto deactivates and the car restarts in order to recharge.

I think this is symptomatic of an exhausted battery. Without getting into the usual (if it starts and SS works ok, just leave it... or - put it on charge and see what happens (I have...)) suggestions...

...how long will yours sit? I’d have thought ‘minutes’ at least on a healthy battery with no daft loads (heated seats, rear screen etc.)

·
Registered
996 Posts
I think you will find that most people on here never use A/S/S. That said, if you are on the original battery you should get it replaced. A weak battery plays all kinds of havoc with these cars, and before long your dash warning lights will be lit up like a Christmas tree.

To answer your question directly, I use A/S/S at border crossings while waiting and it will sit there for several minutes before turning itself on with a fresh battery.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I bought my 2014 Cayman S in Jan, 2020. It had the original battery and the A/S/S didn't function at all. After installing a new OEM battery, it works now, but is disabled (so I can't actually answer your question).

I would second @canux advice and replace the battery, but DIY, don't pay the stealership, it is an easy swap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts